Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-23-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
xcmama
Registered Users

My Mood:
constipation with all solids? (long)

ds is 6 1/2 months old.

prior to starting solids, ds was only pooping about 1x/week. we started giving him infant probiotics (with pedi's approval/recommendation) and with them he'd poop every other day.

so we started him on solids at 5 1/2 mos, when he appeared ready and very excited to eat from a spoon. because of his "sluggish" system, we skipped rice cereal and went straight to oatmeal, which still caused him to be painfully constipated. we tried barley without success. we gave up on cereal altogether and started avocado, which was a little better but still causing him many sleepless nights of pushing and grunting without actually pooping. we even resported to suppositories (at pedi's recommendation). at some point, he just stopped being excited about eating solids (but would still nurse). so at his 6 month appt the pedi said to back off for a week or two, give his body time to get back on track. we give him 2 oz prune or pear juice everyday and that seems to help things along. he seems interested in eating again so after a week of no solids at all, i started letting him eat pear or apple pieces in the teething feeder/net thingy and he loves it. i think we're going to reintroduce nonconstipating foods after thxgiving, but i'm nervous.

i haven't been too concerned about this overall but am starting to question why everything seems to constipate him! we've been in contact with our pedi at every step and i trust her, so i know we're doing the right things. part of me just needed to get this written out. but the real reason i'm writing is to find out if anyone else's dc had these issues and if they eventually resolved. any related experiences you can share would be appreciated!

Advertisement

xcmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:21 AM   #2
lexi_nc
Registered Users
seller

Re: constipation with all solids? (long)

We have had similar problems, although not to the same extreme. Some said that still bfing would be enough to counter, but hasn't been. The only thing that has worked for us is prune joice with every meal, probably 3 to 4 ounces a day.
Good luck!
lexi_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

since introducing cereal/fruits and veggies my 6 mos old son was very constipated (going several days without pooing and then when he did, it was like hard rabbit pellets ) but my sister suggested giving him Gerber prunes jar food and its really helped, I just give it to him straight out of the container every other day for breakfast and he now is having poo every other day or so, and its much softer-easier on the bum!). Sara
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
mckomet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter has similar problems. She's been having to drink prune juice daily since she was about 2 months old. She has about 2 oz every day, unless she eats the prune baby food. She was constipated and let me tell, that got things going!
Old 12-01-2008, 06:07 PM   #5
xcmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for all the replies, mamas! Good to know DS is in good company He's been doing well on about 2 oz of pear or prune juice everyday and we re-started solids (peas) again today. We'll see how it goes!
xcmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:09 PM   #6
c1sarena
Registered Users

The other thing to look for is foods in your diet if youre a BFing Mom! Hope things are moving along better though....
c1sarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
niajane
Registered Users

My Mood:

We struggled with our DD, finally at 18 mo got a great mineral powder that helps. Its a mineral and not a drug but after a year, she sort of got fed up of prunes.... but if you can get your LOs to eat/drink prunes keep it up!!)
For my son we are going to focus on fruit/veggies.
niajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

One of my babies had problems like these. We had to use suppositories many times! We gave him lots of prunes and dropped the rice. Once he was 9-10 months old he was on table food (and breastmilk) and did MUCH better.

In my experience time will take care of these problems; just make sure you are offering healthy foods (none of my children have problems with constipation these days because we eat a lot of fruit, plus eat whole grains, etc).
3inclothdiapers is offline   Reply With Quote