Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-24-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
amberlina
Registered Users

My Mood:
Question starting my almost 5 month old on solids???

My daughter has been very very interested in "big people food" since about 3 months old, when she snuck a large meatball from her dads plate--he was holding her and we were watching a movie while we ate and she had carefully gotten one off his plate and was massaging it between her hands and licking at the sauce she is EFB up until recently when we began cereal, and weighs about 18 pounds (she hasnt been weighed in a month though). She tries to take all our food and drinks from us with ALOT of babbling and enthusiasm. Some moms I have talked to say to wait until she cuts her teeth (she started this process at 3mths as well) others say 6 months, but I think she is ready enough. I have given her rice cereal for a lil over a week now and she eats a lot of it and doesnt spit any back out but i dont think she is crazy about the taste/texture from the faces i get, and ive mixed it with bananas but she rather i think just have the banana, which i have given her slices of in one of those little mesh thingys. ive read avocados are a good starter food, as are cooked mush carrots...?

im wondering what you mommas have found works and doesnt and any advice ive found this is always the best place to ask!

Advertisement

Old 11-24-2008, 10:21 AM   #2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: starting my almost 5 month old on solids???

It really is best to wait until 6 months. There is no benefit from starting solids early. Babies LOVE putting things in their mouths...I don't think it necessarily means they are ready to eat food. Just my two cents!!

I gave my daughter squash as a first food. Sweet potato/yam is also a good one.
Emi Marie, 8.15.14

2208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
knittingk
Registered Users
seller
seller

Used to be they said after rice cereal to start vegis first and then move onto fruits. Last article I read said it didn't matter. My LO's always love sweet potatoes so after rice cereal we go with carrots or sweet potatoes. Here is a link to some info on solid feeding with a chart for age appropriate foods.
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/solids.htm
Just make sure to introduce one food at a time to ensure your LO does not have any reactions..
Old 11-24-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
amberlina
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingk View Post
Used to be they said after rice cereal to start vegis first and then move onto fruits. Last article I read said it didn't matter. My LO's always love sweet potatoes so after rice cereal we go with carrots or sweet potatoes. Here is a link to some info on solid feeding with a chart for age appropriate foods.
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/solids.htm
Just make sure to introduce one food at a time to ensure your LO does not have any reactions..
thank you for this site! exactly the kind of thing i was looking for. so far she has only had the rice cereal and bananas but i would rather give her some soft veggies as opposed to the bananas. my grammie recommended i do veggies first as well actually, the reason being you dont want them to only eat the sugary fruits and reject veggies--at least thats her reasoning... i forgot about sweet potatoes! she eats about 2 tbs at least of the cereal a day. i heard that another gauge is once they have doubled their birthweight, and shes definately beyond that and she likes eating and holding the spoon. she also will drink from a sippy but wont from a bottle (i give water or BM) and she holds it by herself so i think she is ready for this lil endeavor. thanks!
Old 11-24-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
Kels5kids
Registered Users
Formerly: Kels4kids
seller

My Mood:

I think if your comfortable with her having them GO FOR IT! They suggest 6mths but some babies are ready earlier.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

Mentally babies may be ready for solids before 6 months old, but their guts are not necessarily ready...just an FYI
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:05 AM   #7
amberlina
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicap View Post
Mentally babies may be ready for solids before 6 months old, but their guts are not necessarily ready...just an FYI
i can understand that...

i talked to my grandmother (as i do everyday) about how things were done when she was raising her children and she said that after 4 months she would start them on solids as soon as she knew they were ready. we talked about how different parenting is nowadays with the "rules" and she said that for thousands of years babies have been eating without dying because their mothers know whats best for them. I nurse my daughter on her every whim as i am a SAHM and can. she eats alot and when i go to feed her the cereal she gets actually mad at me if i wait too long between bites. SO thank you for all of your responses, but this process is already begun. She has completely normal BMs which we have monitored closely and everything is in right order. If shes happy and ready then so am I
Old 11-25-2008, 03:18 PM   #8
lisad1
Registered Users

Babies naturally want to grab at what you have and put things in their mouths whether it's food, toys, paper, etc. At this age, I started giving dd a spoon and bowl to play and make noise with while we ate and she seemed happy with that. There really are many benefits to their developing guts if you wait longer before introducing solids.
lisad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #9
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberlina View Post
i can understand that...

i talked to my grandmother (as i do everyday) about how things were done when she was raising her children and she said that after 4 months she would start them on solids as soon as she knew they were ready. we talked about how different parenting is nowadays with the "rules" and she said that for thousands of years babies have been eating without dying because their mothers know whats best for them. I nurse my daughter on her every whim as i am a SAHM and can. she eats alot and when i go to feed her the cereal she gets actually mad at me if i wait too long between bites. SO thank you for all of your responses, but this process is already begun. She has completely normal BMs which we have monitored closely and everything is in right order. If shes happy and ready then so am I
Ok, I'm confused then..why did you start this thread? You got some good advice and blew it all off.
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:13 PM   #10
amberlina
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie'sMom View Post
Ok, I'm confused then..why did you start this thread? You got some good advice and blew it all off.
because i was hoping for some good starter foods... like sweet potatoes, i would have never thought of and her pediatrician didnt give me too many avenues besides carrots and bananas. Maybe i should have been a little more clear in that it is a decision we have already made as just plain BM isnt cutting it anymore as she never seems full and I know my supply is high enough. i was looking for ideas on what to give her not at what age
to start her. i have also found another really good site after a momma on here PMed me that gives you clever ways from four months+ to prepare baby food... that was more what i was looking for. sorry.