Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-24-2008, 03:55 PM   #11
eileenAKAmommy
Mommy to 2 special boys
seller

My Mood:
Re: Losing BF Support, small baby, not sleeping long

Oh yes Sonella! I forgot! If you are NOT co-sleeping, having them in another room has helped my kids sleep longer! It's something about them knowing you are right there, and you're not holding them.

Advertisement

Old 11-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #12
benitaeaton
Registered Users
seller

hey Mama,
Stick to your guns ! I have a 14 week and she's hopefully about 10 1/2 lb's by now. All my kids, (the other 3 were the same) and even after they started solid food they still didn't gain allot or sleep through the night. None of them slept through the night until they were weaned between 12 and 18 months.
I bring my lo into bed to nurse and we both fall back to sleep, if I wake up I might try and sneak her back into her crib....if she doesnt' wake up.
HTH,
Benita
benitaeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:31 PM   #13
jennabean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

everyone else gave some great advice... just wanted to chime in and say you're doing a great job! stick with it! trust yourself!

its hard though, I know. my LO is 6 months old and is about 12 lbs. he's not even ON the curve but he's following his OWN curve, just poking along he wakes about every 3 hours to nurse and some mornings I feel more rested then others, but I try to trust that he knows what his body needs...

my dd spoiled us though... 6-8 hour stretches at this age so each one truly is different.

I'd look into a lactation consultant, some fenugreek or meds if the issue really IS low supply but it might just be that you're LO has her own plan sucks for us sometimes, being this tired but it passes pretty quickly in the overall scheme of things

and boy I get snippy if anyone suggests I give him cereal or a bottle of formula, whatever... there is no magic solution its amazing how this idea still is perpetuated! boobs are just fine thankyouverymuch!

Last edited by jennabean; 11-24-2008 at 07:32 PM.
jennabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:32 PM   #14
Skittle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Please mama stick with that what you are doing.

I'm going through the same thing right now. DD is little over 10 lbs now, 17 weeks old. My family keeps telling me to start solids on her. There is no way she's ready yet. She only sleeps for 2 hours during the night IF it's a good night. Past week she would sleep only 20-45 minutes before she would wake up screaming. Everyone was telling me that she's hungry. I know she's not. She is going through the 19 week growth spurt which can start around 14th and 15th week. It can be hell. Seriously, this is how it feels sometimes (my husband is deployed and I'm by myself w/o any support).
Skittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:44 PM   #15
Sakari
Registered Users

Keep up the good work! and I hope your support returns. I just wanted to reiterate everything that's been posted already. and add my support of your decision. ... and to add that in my situation, my almost 4 mo dd is 16.5 pounds and all I hear is that she's too big! (ya just can't please everyone, huh?)
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:28 PM   #16
MammaNilsson
Registered Users
seller

Everyone's giving you great advice. I just wanted to encourage you to find an LLL group to give you some support (not that we don't count around here too, but sometimes you need a face!).

Also, I was one of those little babies and I also nursed "every hour on the hour for an hour" according to my mother...she didn't supplement and I'm just fine.

If you feel like your supply is low, you can try oatmeal or something like that...and make sure you drink plenty. Some babies are just like that and as one pp said, it's a short time in the overall scheme of things. As one of my friend's pointed out...what's 1 year out of 80 or so? ...not that it necessarily will last that long by any means...
MammaNilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:35 PM   #17
moira
Registered Users
seller

I just want to send hugs your way! Stick to your guns because you know your baby better then anyone else. My DD is the same...she's only just 11 lb now at almost 5 months. I contantly got told that she was hungry and "Would you feed that child!!" Extremely frustrating! As for the sleeping, it'll come when your LO is ready and not a minute before. My DS was fromula fed and never slept through the night till he was 2!
moira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:40 PM   #18
tinab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughters weighed more than your child, but they both still were up every 2 hours until they were about 8 months old! My friends DD was FF and she didn't sleep a long stretch (over 3 hours) until she was 7 months old!
Every child has their own personal growth curve. I was 15 pounds when I turned one. Some kids are just smaller!
Soon to be TTC #3; the final chapter!
Moola Invites
tinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:43 PM   #19
kismets_pawn
Registered Users

My ODS was always at 20% or less for weight and 75th - 95th % for height. So he was long and skinny. He's now a very active, healthy and happy 2 1/2 YO who is off the charts tall and in the 75th % for weight.

Sounds like maybe you are having a supply issue that needs to be addressed. I know it's tough to believe, but supplementing w/a bottle, even a bottle of FF, won't hurt your nursing relationship at this stage. Just have DH or someone else give her the bottle. If you can, try to give her EBM. But please see someone about your supply if you feel it might be falling short of her needs.

Good luck Mama! Hang tough!
kismets_pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:27 AM   #20
MomToJazmyne
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I too had a very small baby who did nurse all the time. At 2 months, she only weighed a little over 9 lbs. At almost 2 1/2 she STILL does not sleep through the night but she now weighs almost 32 lbs. There are days that it is all that I can do to stay awake even with the help of my friend: Mr. Diet Dr. Pepper.

I did have to take fenugreek, blessed thistle, and reglan to up my supply for a while but I was able to wean off of it. Jazmyne still nurses at night (and during the day) but we have just learned to deal with it. Learn to nurse lying down...that has been our saving grace.

As far as the BF'ing support goes, I agree with a PP, find a local LLL group. They have proved to be an invaluable resource for me and Jazmyne.

Do what you know is best for your baby. Breastfeeding J has been wonderful for healing all the boo-boo's that come along with new milestones and I am so glad that I stuck it out.

J (8/15/06) and L (4/25/13)
MomToJazmyne is offline   Reply With Quote