Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-25-2008, 06:41 AM   #1
tarah1218
Registered Users
seller

*update*We HAVE to stop nursing! Plz help with advice for my son!

Today I was ordered by my doctors to stop bfing my son! I have had a hypoglycemic episode every 2-3 days on average now and they said that I must stop nursing for my health and safety! I am also pregnant so I am sure my hormones are making this much much worse for me. My body just cannot keep up with growing this baby and making breastmilk for my son and in order to save me a bit of energy they are making me stop nursing right away. This is way to soon and I don't know what to do! I mean, I know what I have to do but what do I do for my son? He nurses before bed and nap time and he seems to be doing it less and less so I know he can do this easily but I don't know how to make this easier on him. My doctor was very caring in the matter and understood how emotional it is going to be for my son and myself but I just want to keep crying! He told me to read to him before bed and still snuggle while he drinks some milk before bed. Any other advice from anyone? How long do you think until he is "over it"? What do I do when he wakes up at his usual 3-4am snuggle and "feed"? I am 14 weeks pregnant now, do you think he will remember how to nurse and start again when the new baby comes? This sucks!!! BTW, my son is almost 14 months old.

I have a metabolic disorder which is makes it impossible for me to use stored energy such as fat and I cannot possibly take in anymore glucose, I eat constantly already to keep my blood sugar up and drink koolaid instead of water. Do you think my breasts will get engorged or do you think they will "dry up" without much pain?

*UPDATE* We made it through the night. We brought Dallas into bed when he woke up and he snuggled with me for a bit. He only asked for the boob once and I told him no and he just shook his head no and snuggled a few more minutes and gave me a hug. He seems okay with it and I think today will be much easier. He did have some issues going back to sleep though. He was not happy to go back into his crib but he wouldn't sleep in the bed without the boob and he was just bouncing and playing after he had some water. He only fussed for about a min. but it took him a good 45 min to get himself back to sleep. Hopefully he gets better at doing it but it made it so I could sleep in an extra hour today, he slept until 8am!!!! Thank you ladies for the support!

Advertisement

Last edited by tarah1218; 11-26-2008 at 12:11 AM.
tarah1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
tarah1218
Registered Users
seller

Re: We HAVE to stop nursing! Plz help with advice for my son!

He just went to sleep, he spent an hour in his crib talking and playing with his music box and crib toys. He wasn't happy at all about going down without bfing and cried the first 5 min. I went in there and gave him hugs until he calmed down. I hope he sleeps well tonight, usually if he falls asleep without bfing he wakes up every 2 hrs. So now I just need to cross my fingers and hope he sleeps until early this morning so I am not a zombie tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
DivineNature
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't really have any advise or experience with this, but wanted to offer hugs. And way to go on making it to 14 months nursing!!!
You haven't joined SWAGBUCKS yet? JOIN NOW & earn prizes!
DivineNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
CierosHotMomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarah1218 View Post
Today I was ordered by my doctors to stop bfing my son! I have had a hypoglycemic episode every 2-3 days on average now and they said that I must stop nursing for my health and safety! I am also pregnant so I am sure my hormones are making this much much worse for me. My body just cannot keep up with growing this baby and making breastmilk for my son and in order to save me a bit of energy they are making me stop nursing right away. This is way to soon and I don't know what to do! I mean, I know what I have to do but what do I do for my son? He nurses before bed and nap time and he seems to be doing it less and less so I know he can do this easily but I don't know how to make this easier on him. My doctor was very caring in the matter and understood how emotional it is going to be for my son and myself but I just want to keep crying! He told me to read to him before bed and still snuggle while he drinks some milk before bed. Any other advice from anyone? How long do you think until he is "over it"? What do I do when he wakes up at his usual 3-4am snuggle and "feed"? I am 14 weeks pregnant now, do you think he will remember how to nurse and start again when the new baby comes? This sucks!!! BTW, my son is almost 14 months old.

I have a metabolic disorder which is makes it impossible for me to use stored energy such as fat and I cannot possibly take in anymore glucose, I eat constantly already to keep my blood sugar up and drink koolaid instead of water. Do you think my breasts will get engorged or do you think they will "dry up" without much pain?
I'm sorry that you have to stop nursing your son . My son is 14 months old and everyone claims he is addicted to breastfeeding but I believe he can easily adjust (though I'm not entirely sure about stopping cold turkey! ). Maybe now is the time to introduce something comforting, like a toy or blanket that he can rely on when he wakes in the night. If he does get up at his usual nursing time, you could try to overdress and hold him closely with something like a teddy bear or quilt and gently help him back to sleep. My prescription would be lots and lots of cuddle time =)!

Because you're pregnant again I think there is a slight chance you may become engorged but I'm not sure.

Good luck !
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***40
CierosHotMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you considered wearing him to sleep if you can't nurse him to sleep? I don't think it's a good idea to give him milk right before he sleeps because of damage to his teeth.
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
tarah1218
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
Have you considered wearing him to sleep if you can't nurse him to sleep? I don't think it's a good idea to give him milk right before he sleeps because of damage to his teeth.
Once he was done drinking his rice milk we had him brush his teeth and i used a wash cloth to make sure he did a good job. He almost always brushes before bed unless we are out and forget.

He won't let me wear him to sleep for some reason he never has but once and I can't wear him in the front because of my fat belly already. He won't let me hold him and rock him to sleep either he stopped letting me do that 6 months ago but daddy can seem to do it. I actually might have daddy do it if he wakes tonight or early morning.

He has a stuffed dog he loves to pieces, so he does have a snuggle item. We have two of them so do you think I should switch them out daily, like sleep with the other one to get my smell?

I think I am more of wreck than he is we have been through so much in the past 14 months to be able to nurse and keep us both healthy. This just sucks.

Do you think this would be a good time to get him a toddler bed or turn his crib into one? That way when he wakes up at night he feels free to come get cuddles and sleep with us without having to cry and wake us? Maybe a twin mattress on the floor in his room?
Old 11-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #7
mia&seansmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

so he knows how to put himself to sleep? that's an excellent step in the right direction

and i'm sorry you're going through this BTW.

I am in the process of weaning my daughter, but i have the luxury of taking it slow.

we were trying ot follow dr. Jay Gordon's method ( http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp ) Mia knows how to put herself to sleep and did/does so for naps everyday with NO tears. so i knew she was capable. but she nursed to sleep for bed time and was still up every 3 hours at night. so this past weekend we started out rocking her, then she'd fall asleep and wake up as soon as we tried to put her down. i realized "DUH. this is dumb. she knows how to fall asleep on her own." so i started just picking her up and comforting her at the side of her crib, telling her "night night" then putting her back down. sometimes i had to do this several times, and it took 3 nights, but just last night she slept through the night!

i'd just comfort, cuddle, a lot. i think he'l be ok
Old 11-26-2008, 05:55 AM   #8
mia&seansmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: *update*We HAVE to stop nursing! Plz help with advice for my son!

you're doing great mama!

mia's doing the same thing kinda. i nursed her for a second last night and she let go and got down and then signed "milk" "all gone". it made me laugh and cry all at once!! (my milk is so not all gone) but she was done nursing and it was kinda like she was telling me she was done and didn't want to be nursed to sleep last night...
Old 11-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #9
EmsMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would wait on the toddler bed, I wouldn't push two big changes on him at once. My ds couldn't handle a new house and the toddler bed so he's still in his crib. Stay strong mama! You're doing great!
Old 11-26-2008, 12:19 PM   #10
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmsMom View Post
I would wait on the toddler bed, I wouldn't push two big changes on him at once. My ds couldn't handle a new house and the toddler bed so he's still in his crib. Stay strong mama! You're doing great!
I agree with this. Plus, unless it's in your room, it would make me nervous to have him able to get out of bed without your knowledge. What if he didn't come staight to you? We switched oldest at about 20 months and used a gate at his door to ensure he couldn't go anywhere if he got out of bed. We also moved a little over a month after the switch and it wasn't great timing.

I hope it's going well today. I'm sorry you have to end before you wanted, but you've done a great job. Congrats on nursing your LO for so long and Congrats on your pregnancy too!!

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 11-26-2008 at 12:21 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote