Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

tell me about your 10-11month olds

The speech pathologist just called to make an appt to evaluate Grace again and I'm not sure we really need her services. I need some advice because I'm having trouble deciding whether Early Intervention is just being alarmist about a delay in speech or whether we are putting this off when we shouldn't be. Early Intervention evaluated her 2 months ago and found her delayed by several months. Her father flipped out and was yelling at me and telling me that she's absolutely fine and just doesn't "feel like talking." I'm unconvinced on both sides. She will be 11months old in a week and she makes very few sounds. She makes a lot of NOISE, but very few sounds. The EI intake coordinator said that she's making noise from her throat like cooing and shrieking but she's not forming sounds with her mouth. She's off the charts on large and fine motor skills but verbal she was estimated months behind. She HAS made the "mamama," "bababa," and "dadada" sounds but only once or twice and they are gone again. They were indiscriminate and not directed at an object or person. I KNOW she can hear and she does pay attention if you speak to her or sign to her. She signed "more" for the first time yesterday too but hasn't done it since. She's got no oral problems as she eats solids well and self-feeds chunks of food. But she will not babble sounds and will not speak words and does very little to get her point across other than cry or grab food from your plate or reach for keys or a toy she wants.

My problem is that I know she's slow on speaking but I know there's a HUGE range of acceptable ages for milestones and I'm not sure if it's worth irritating her father THAT MUCH to get her involved in EI if she's just going to start speaking in a week or two. I guess I want to know if she's REALLY actually delayed or just doesn't feel like talking like he thinks. I'm really conflicted on making and keeping this appt with EI now. I know he is against it and I try to not steamroll him on decisions for our kids just because we are separated but if I have to because she needs services I will. I just don't want to get involved in a screaming match about this with him if she's still okay with speaking. And I will not lie to him about this so I'm not keeping the appt and being dishonest with him about it. I don't lie to him.

forgot to mention that she was born 7 weeks premature but has been relatively healthy since.

Advertisement

Last edited by 3rockstars; 11-26-2008 at 09:29 AM.
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
eileenAKAmommy
Mommy to 2 special boys
seller

My Mood:
Re: tell me about your 10-11month olds

My 21 month old, has 5-8 words. He didn't really babel, was evaluated at 15 months, and he was advanced, not sure how. LOL.

Who cares about dad, early intervention is the key (Not to be mean, I promise!). Especially if YOU are worried, do what YOU want to do.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

see that's the thing. i don't really know how i feel about it. i'm not WORRIED per se, but i've noticed that the babies her age seem to talk WAY more. My other kids were saying WORDS by 10months. but then again she's climbing stairs and walking 6 steps unassisted so it's hard to say whether she's got any issues or not. she's so busy all the time but she's always been a quiet baby. hard to say if she chooses not to speak or can't.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
Ellowyn
Registered Users

My Mood:

It seems a little premature to get too concerned about her speech. She could be working on another skill, like walking and just not focused on speech yet. Being 7 weeks premature makes a difference too. You would need to think of her as a younger baby and see how she's comparing.

My 13 month old is making mama, dada, and gigi (for doggie) sounds, but the "gigi" for doggie is the only one that I truly find directed at the dogs. It never even occured to me to be worried about her speech.

My DS is now 12 years old and was super slow at speech. I think he was around 3 before he used many words...he is fine. Required NO intervention. He never had any problems with his speech once he started talking. No problems with stuttering, lisp, making difficult consonant sounds like "L" that a lot of my friends kids had.

I'm sorry your baby's father is upset about this, but you really both should be on board with EI if it is to be successful.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:28 AM   #5
RockinClothBunz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She sounds just fine to me. Especially since she was born so early. It won't hurt to have her speech checked out though. I don't see a big deal with whatever decision you make.
Auntie to Trentin 5-31-09
RockinClothBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
evandmp
Surrounded by Geminis!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinClothBunz View Post
She sounds just fine to me. Especially since she was born so early. It won't hurt to have her speech checked out though. I don't see a big deal with whatever decision you make.

I agree.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:14 AM   #7
happymommyto2
Registered Users
seller

I work with EI doing play therapy and use to do the developmental evaluations before we moved here. I have also been the mother of a speech delayed child. From what you describe, I suggest getting her the speech eval. If she just wasn't making actual words, then I would so no need for evaluation yet, BUT the fact that she doesn't really babble or make sounds with her mouth is a red flag for me. I would have the speech therapist evaluate her bc only the speech therapist can give the most accurate idea of where her speech is. You can feel free to PM with any questions or just to talk bc I have been there as a mom and a professional. I love to help!
happymommyto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
2007mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS is 16 mo and is JUST now starting to try to form words/sounds other than mama and dada. Our ped said it's pretty common; some babies are so focused on motor skills they are too busy to worry about talking. DS was definitely motor-focused; he was walking and climbing very early compared to other babies I know. I think it just now "clicked" in his head that the babbling he hears from us is actually words that mean things, and now he is fascinated and always trying to imitate. I was a bit worried too at 1 yr when he didn't say anything, but he has caught on. If I were you I would probably not worry too much. GL!
Old 11-26-2008, 11:23 AM   #9
erinnl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You should get it checked out because if you don't and there ends up being a problem, you will have a hard time forgiving yourself and DDs father... It can't hurt to at least try to figure out if there's a bigger issue going on than just DD being slow to talk! Good luck mama. There's nothing harder than fighting with your ex about being good parents to your kids!
erinnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:37 PM   #10
huntingflower
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly I think it is a little early to be worrying. Do what your gut tells you but honestly I have heard of many cases where this happens and the child is fine.

huntingflower is offline   Reply With Quote