Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-26-2008, 01:58 PM   #11
trippsmom
Registered Users
seller

Location: Little Rock, but my heart is still in Greenville, AL
My Mood:
Re: tell me about your 10-11month olds

DS really only says "uh-oh" reliably. You can ask him to and it starts an hour of uh-oh's. Thats it. He is WAY advanced on gross and fine motor skills. Crawled 4.5 mos, self fed by 8.5 months and walked just prior to 7 months. I'm dreading our 12 mos visit to the study. He meets with a therapist and she evals/rates him. I realllt think that he is too focused on other things to talk. Maybe the same w/ your daughter. I was an early talker and a late walker, dh was the opposite.

Advertisement

Rachel- CPST - wife to Lester and blessed to be the cd-ing, bw-ing, delay/selective vaxing and extended r****** and b****** pt-SAHM to my little man Tripp 12/22/07 And Aubrey Elisabeth 11/20/2009 My all natural drug-free hospital birth!
Riding in 2 Radian XTSL's, a Coccoro and True Fit Premier
trippsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:39 PM   #12
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

I think getting her checked won't hurt. Maybe she's perfectly OK, maybe it's a sign of a problem. No one knows for sure.

My daughter is 16 months now (and talks all the time), but at 10-11 months, she was probably saying 25-30 words regularly and making a TON of cooing and other noises.

At 16 months... she imitates just about everything we say. She says 2-3 word sentences. She does sign language and is actually pretty demanding and sassy.

She said three words pretty much at the same time when she was 8 months old. She was about average with her other skills... crawling at 8.5 months, walking just before her birthday, etc.

Last edited by MW69842; 11-26-2008 at 07:41 PM.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:45 PM   #13
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I would go ahead with at least the initial appointment. My dd is 11 months and babbles a lot and now says four words.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 06:38 AM   #14
rlr10200
Registered Users

My Mood:

YOU should do what you feel in your heart but since you asked I wouldnt worry, if it were me. My DS is exactly between 10 and 11 months and he doesnt say words. He (like your lo) signed "more" for the first time 3 days ago but hasnt done it since. He still just babbles....dadada, daydayday, has never even made the mamama sound. I have never thought negative about it. He just may be slower to do it than my older DS. #2 does use a paci while #1 didnt. That may have to do with my case. SO, do whats in your heart but I am not concerned about my son and he sounds similar to your DD. Good luck, Mama!
Old 11-27-2008, 10:43 AM   #15
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

I made the appt. I think the reason I even considered it is because she really doesn't babble. The words can wait but she SHOULD be babbling and knowing that her mouth can form sounds by now. I know she can hear and I know she understands words and even simple commands like "give mama a bite" but she won't even babble at me. I guess I just want some reassurance. We have our first appt mid-December to figure this out. Thanks everyone for the thoughts and help.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:52 AM   #16
amrijane128
Registered Users
seller

Personally, I wouldn't be worried. My DD didn't talk much at that age either, but would grab for things and point too. Now she is one of the most advanced 2 year olds I have met regarding language, speaking as long of sentences as I do. I don't think that from the info given there is enough reason to worry about a delay.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:12 PM   #17
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think the milestone for babbling is 5-9 months. Since your dd was almost two months early she isn't too far off yet since she is developmentally a 9 month old. I would make the appointment with EI but my guess is she is probably fine.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:24 PM   #18
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is 9 1/2 mos old and she babbles a LOT, but hasn't said or attempted any words. Well, I guess she says "dada" "baba" "yaya" but it's never directed at anything specifically. I guess if it were me in your shoes, I would make the appointment just on the off chance that something could be detected early, but I bet your DD is fine and just chooses to concentrate on fine-tuning her other abilities.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:01 PM   #19
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymommyto2 View Post
I work with EI doing play therapy and use to do the developmental evaluations before we moved here. I have also been the mother of a speech delayed child. From what you describe, I suggest getting her the speech eval. If she just wasn't making actual words, then I would so no need for evaluation yet, BUT the fact that she doesn't really babble or make sounds with her mouth is a red flag for me. I would have the speech therapist evaluate her bc only the speech therapist can give the most accurate idea of where her speech is. You can feel free to PM with any questions or just to talk bc I have been there as a mom and a professional. I love to help!
EI folks are good!!! They see lots and lots of kids. If they see an issue I would go with it. Your tax money pays for it and little kids usually totally LOVE the attention.

Good luck
Old 04-03-2009, 07:03 AM   #20
angelikapisadika
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have had many friends with children who weren't talking except for "mama" until they were around 3 years old! Including my niece, Frances. She's 5 now and speaks and interacts beautifully. But at 2 and 3 years old was hardly saying anything at all! It really is too early to worry, I think. I mean, I am worrying right now about my 20 month old stuttering and now I think maybe I shouldn't. I don't want that little sponge of a child to soak up any negative vibes from her mama!
angelikapisadika is offline   Reply With Quote