Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2008, 06:56 AM   #1
Ellowyn
Registered Users

My Mood:
When you wean a 1 year old, what do you wean to?

I am wanting to start weaning my 13 month old. She drinks well from a sippy cup, but I don't know what to substitute my breastmilk with. She seems to have a milk allergy (gets ecxema, diaper rash and upset tummy)and most plant based milks don't seem to have enough fat and nutrients in them for a baby. Am I missing something? Is there a "next step" type of non-cow's milk based formula or should I try something like nutramigen or allimentium (sp?), the hypoallergic infant formulas? DD tolerates soymilk in small quantities in her oatmeal, but not the volume that she needs to grow on it.

Advertisement

Old 11-27-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
shelbell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When you wean a 1 year old, what do you wean to?

What about hemp milk? We get ours at a natural foods store and dd loves it and it's so healthy!
shelbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
MommaBunny
10% of Profits Donated to Wildlife
seller

My Mood:

Some stores have formula for toddlers, and most have drinks like "Nutri-pals" that are essentially nutrition shakes for young children. Avoid hazelnut and almond milks for now, since those may trigger allergies.

You might want to look into rice milks... They're very hypoallergenic. Although they aren't particularly high in fat or protein, you could always mix in Ovaltine or Nido to balance them out nutritionally.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:40 PM   #4
bama
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, as long as you are feeding her a well balanced diet, you can totally forgo the cow's milk! Its just a suggestion for kids who don't have a well rounded diet with good fats in it.
bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #5
MSWmom
Registered Users

ok, sorry for the hijack, but in the same boat and I would be interested to know furthermore how to replace the suckling needs? I guess you don't give them a bottle at this point, huh? My son so loves breastfeeding for all his emotional and thirst needs, but I just found out I am pregnant and don't think I can handle it once I am further along. Had a reallllly bad 1st pregnancy and would rather wean him if it is possible.

Thanks all!