Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

3 month old is starting to squeal for temper tantrums

Normally this kid is a very easy baby, only fusses a little when he needs something. I know he's learning to communicate at this point but I do not want this to become a habit. Today we were in Rona and he all of a sudden decided he didn't like being held facing forward and just let out one big loud SQUEAL that could be heard across the whole store I'm sure. He is also doing this when I don't get my shirt up and "his nipple" to him fast enough, or when he's bored.

I know you can't discipline a child this age but I want to make it clear that tantrums are not going to be the norm! So far if he squeals all I do is turn him so he's face to face and say No! firmly, and if he's doing it near the breast I won't give him the breast until he stops doing it. Crying or fussing is ok, that's what babies do... but squealing no thanks!

Advertisement

Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
nini02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 3 month old is starting to squeal for temper tantrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummy mommy View Post
Normally this kid is a very easy baby, only fusses a little when he needs something. I know he's learning to communicate at this point but I do not want this to become a habit. Today we were in Rona and he all of a sudden decided he didn't like being held facing forward and just let out one big loud SQUEAL that could be heard across the whole store I'm sure. He is also doing this when I don't get my shirt up and "his nipple" to him fast enough, or when he's bored.

I know you can't discipline a child this age but I want to make it clear that tantrums are not going to be the norm! So far if he squeals all I do is turn him so he's face to face and say No! firmly, and if he's doing it near the breast I won't give him the breast until he stops doing it. Crying or fussing is ok, that's what babies do... but squealing no thanks!
He's 3 months old, squealing is completely normal at that age. My son has made all kinds of crazy (and sometimes horribly irritating!) noises while learning to communicate. I kinda think you just have to let them grow past it - I wouldn't "punish" him for a behavior that is 100% normal for his age by not letting him nurse.

At that age communication of any kind should not be discouraged. Instead I might start (even at 3 months old) modeling better communication - for example, by signing or saying "nurse" or "eat" if he does it when you know he's hungry.

Anyway, I definitely don't think it's a tantrum at 3 months old.

Stephanie, mommy to Avery and Iona

Swagbucks / ZoomBucks / Varolo

Last edited by nini02; 01-07-2009 at 11:37 PM.
nini02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:07 PM   #3
MrsH723
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 3 month old does it too, but I try to view it as a new way he's trying to communicate with me. It's horribly obnoxious, but I don't think it's a precursor to uncontrollable temper tantrums.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #4
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Squealing is listed in the milestone books for this age to look out for. He should be sqealing. It is just a way of communicating and should be encouraged not discouraged. He will learn more communication and sounds as he gets older. At this age his wants are his needs. When they are older that changes but not for a long time still. He isn't even capable of forming true habits yet until closer to 6 months. You really can't discipline at this age. He isn't having a tantrum yet.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 01-07-2009 at 11:16 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:32 PM   #5
jpicasso
Registered Users
seller

I agree with the others Other than crying, babies don't have any other ways to communicate unless you teach them signs or something. I don't think it's a tantrum mama, he's just talking to you
Old 01-07-2009, 11:32 PM   #6
eco-baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah it isn't a tantrum, it's baby finding his voice, it's actually funny and cool if you roll with it, my 10 month old now is all into all these big scarey sounds and it's kind of fun he goes "roar" and I go "shh shh shh" and pretend I'm small and we both laugh ... or I say no yelling, shhh talk nicely when he's being all bossy like - not like he cares but I tell him anyways lol.

GIVE baby words mama, when he squeels for milk say "oh your hungry? I know you want to nurse" (or something to engage him in conversation with you), it's the start of communication and knowing we are understood is so important, even as babies. He's just learning his sounds not trying to trouble you any.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:12 AM   #7
Liddle1
Registered Users

glad to know this is normal and not a precursor to all out temper tantrums down the road ! I have been doing as PP says from about a month ago, and saying, "are you HUNGRY? do you want some MILK?". i'm not all that into baby signing but when he figures his hands out a little more we might do that. better than squealing!
Old 01-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
Ellowyn
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yep! My DD started doing that at around 3 months old too. She would let out this really loud scream when she was bored or in a noisy place. Kinda embarrassing when going out and sometimes it drove me wild in the car. She still does it off and on if things get too noisy for her. It's normal for some babies. It helped to hold her more and head off the squeals or screams before she started. Also, modeling the soft voice I wanted her to use helped too.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

please don't tell your 3 month old NO when she squeals. She's barely out of newborn stage!
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #10
Liddle1
Registered Users

what's wrong with telling them no? it's been advised to tell them no and remove them from the breast for biting, amd he got that message loud and clear.