Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2008, 09:29 AM   #31
kadas33
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: $135 a day for daycare!!! I'm so frustrated :( (long)

I'm also in MO, the STL area, and I've found that $25-35/day is the norm for the area for that type of care.

If I had to pay my sitter $15/hour, I wouldn't be making any money for working and might as well quit and stay home.

Advertisement

kadas33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:32 AM   #32
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

I'd just gently explain to her that the most you'd heard of for that type of care is $35/day and $25/day is the average. Thank her for the offer, but explain that the amount she would charge would basically suck up your paycheck, making it a futile effort for you to even work.

And yes, I do think it's exorbitant. I don't make that per hour where I work!
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #33
zacks_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I pay $35 dollar a day for my 16 monther, for a licensed provider in her home, and she provides snacks, food, and wipes. (she would supply diapers, but we do cloth)
Old 11-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #34
syndibee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

as a Nanny I get that per week, not per hour....though child care here is very difficult to break into at a "reasonable" rate. I can't get children in my home for $85/wk full time. And I can't find a care provider for less than $100/wk for myself to go back to work. it's INSANE. But I'm looking for an $8/hr job to work part time....I'm not a career woman who makes 60 thou a year, and I never will be.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:03 PM   #35
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
we pay $28/day/kid here. sounds like she has no clue what she's asking for. honestly, i'd write her off. if she's so ignorant of the most basic part of sitting, what else is she ignorant of, and how would that impact my child? I might send a fast email letting her know the going rate, but say something like, i don't think we'd be a good fit, thanks anyway. a person expecting $15/hr or a job won't be happy w/ $3ish/hour for the same job.
ditto-I'd be leery of her watching my kids, she doesn't seem to know what's going on Going rate here is $25 for toddler/$35 for infant for home care and $30-$45 for a facility daycare-per day. Sara
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:10 PM   #36
mommy_have_it
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think someone needs to come back down to earth.

I think you should email her back and maybe lightly explain she is crazy and prove it with a link.
http://www.daycarematch.com/articles...care_rates.asp
mommy_have_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #37
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

That's insane. I'm thinking of going back to work and my neighbor will keep my boys--she's giving me a deal at $25/day/kid, so $250/week for both my boys. She normally charges $30/day/kid but we've known each other a long time and she knows my boys.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #38
mpink22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS goes to a center at $40 a day, most in homes here charge in the $25-30 a day range, some less. Good luck to you!
Old 11-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #39
ladylee
Registered Users

My Mood:

she must have meant per day

no wait - you responded back and said you couldn't afford 135/day?? She has some screw loose. If she is that out of touch with what normal is considered, I wouldn't want her to watch my child.

I found a lady that wanted $50 a day just to watch infants. She wanted to take a few in. I was just honest with her. I told her that I thought she was charging too much. Her response was that what she could offer one on one so she charged more.

I told her that I am sure her services were great but I also knew some other people offering smaller group and charged half of what she charged and that there is no way I could afford it. She just said, "OK, it's your choice". Her ad remained on craigslist for another three months. This isn't a BIG EXPENSIVE CITY, it's Boise. Good grief (I have lived in bigger cities). I didn't know her so it was even easier to be honest.

What makes this woman's credentials that much better than the next person. Does she have a doctorate degree in child development?

Last edited by ladylee; 11-29-2008 at 12:54 PM.
ladylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #40
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndibee View Post
as a Nanny I get that per week, not per hour....though child care here is very difficult to break into at a "reasonable" rate. I can't get children in my home for $85/wk full time. And I can't find a care provider for less than $100/wk for myself to go back to work. it's INSANE. But I'm looking for an $8/hr job to work part time....I'm not a career woman who makes 60 thou a year, and I never will be.
Who makes that?? Sign me up!

Seriously, I'm waiting for the year DH and I break 50K/yr COMBINED ...

To the OP ~ you'll find someone. I just went through 3 providers since September (don't ask!) and have hopefully landing on a keeper for this school year at least. In my state, a provider does not have to be licensed to come into your home. And, in some states, so long as the sitter only has kids from one family, they are not required to be licensed. FWIW I've had both and had problems from each group. It is difficult to find good helpers which is why I always try to find ways to show my appreciation to sitters in addition to offering a comparable rate.
There are only two lasting bequests we hope to give our children; one is roots, the other wings.
frogandtoad is offline   Reply With Quote