Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2008, 01:12 PM   #41
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: $135 a day for daycare!!! I'm so frustrated :( (long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Might not be a bad idea ... a friend of mine once worked out with her 7th grade Language Arts class how she could earn more per day doing daycare than what she made as a full-time teacher. I'm pretty sure she factored in hours she worked that weren't "contracted" (meaning many teachers put in extra time after hours preparing, grading, etc.)

If you think about it, you could get licensed for 6 children (the mimumum here - max is 12 per provider). That's $25/day x 6 or $150 per day. Of course that's before expenses, like food or snacks. But in our area Catholic Family Services has a food program that many providers qualify for and they get some $$ for the children in their care. So, depending on how you look at it, DC isn't really a bad gig. It is w-o-r-k, however, and sometimes I think providers get into daycare thinking it's "easy" and you give up your home to daycare space. Not for everyone ... but I've known some ladies who really made it work for their family.
Well....., I can still make more working as a nurse. LOL! Working nights and just 2 OT shifts a month in addition to the 36 regular hours a week I can make almost $50,000 a year starting out.

That is, if I can get through nursing school first.

Taking care of a few kids might be easier than taking care of up to 12 whiny, sick adults, though.

Advertisement

Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #42
Getz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would have to assume that she just doesn't know what the market rates are in your area for child care. I hope that's the case anyway!

I babysit one day a week and charge $25 a day (about 6 hours). It is for 1 child (she's 2). When I have all 3 of the kids (the other 2 are school aged), I get $75. I provide all meals. My kids just love her and she has a ton of fun here.

I would just email her and tell her the going rates for part-time care are $25-30 a day. At least she will know her numbers are outrageous even if you don't go with her.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #43
Jenette
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For a month of full time it is $500 -600 ... so about $135 a week ... they provide snacks and diapers
Old 11-29-2008, 02:31 PM   #44
heidisue
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylee View Post
What makes this woman's credentials that much better than the next person. Does she have a doctorate degree in child development?
I thought maybe that was part of it although I still would not pay that for me dropping him off at her house (well, could not pay it and honestly still wouldn't!). But, she doesn't anyway - she worked at Sprint until she quit and had her son. She hasn't had any childcare classes or certifications at all
heidisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #45
ladylee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidisue View Post
I thought maybe that was part of it although I still would not pay that for me dropping him off at her house (well, could not pay it and honestly still wouldn't!). But, she doesn't anyway - she worked at Sprint until she quit and had her son. She hasn't had any childcare classes or certifications at all
Wow. She has seriously lost it. Even if she had a higher degree, she would have lost it.
ladylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:40 PM   #46
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Who cares how much she's charging? She's not going to get any takers at those rates/terms.

I would send her an e-mail back that says something like:

"The going rates in this area is ____ to ____ for the situation you're advertising."
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #47
trippsmom
Registered Users
seller

Location: Little Rock, but my heart is still in Greenville, AL
My Mood:

I was just talking to my SIL. She is a nanny for one child during the day and 4 in the afternoon, after school. The child during the day is 14 months and she goes to the home while the mom is there and does various things such as light cleaning (vacum, sweep, dishes), errands (grocery store), and other activities that the mom would usually do if not working. In the afternoons she picks up her dd and her boss's other to lo's. She does homework stuff with them which is easy since she has her early ed. degree and has taught in the past. There are days that she works 13-15 hours!!! She was supposed to work 13 hours yesterday while they went to the football game here, but rain was expected so they gave her the tickets... $500 worth of tickets. She was bummed that she didn't get to work, but we were super excited about going to the game

I was paid $20/day to keep an lo this summer for another ds/lll mama. I think that is reasonable. I normally pay WAY MORE for a sitter when I work at the restaurant and dh is working too. I have had nights when he was out of town that I made $45 and paid the sitter $36.
Rachel- CPST - wife to Lester and blessed to be the cd-ing, bw-ing, delay/selective vaxing and extended r****** and b****** pt-SAHM to my little man Tripp 12/22/07 And Aubrey Elisabeth 11/20/2009 My all natural drug-free hospital birth!
Riding in 2 Radian XTSL's, a Coccoro and True Fit Premier

Last edited by trippsmom; 11-29-2008 at 03:48 PM.
trippsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #48
Momontherun
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In my neck of the woods $15/hour would get you a nanny who comes to your house. I'm currently paying approx $8/hour for part-time care to take my child to a highly qualified, licensed family day care -- there are two women who exclusively care for a small number of children and provide age appropriate developmental activities. That includes all food and drinks (even organic milk!).

Given that I live in the Northeast where the cost of living is more expensive, I would expect a reasonable rate would be significantly less than $8/hr.
Momontherun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #49
aqua_jellybean
Registered Users
seller

We live in a very expensive city, very very expensive. Two years ago my girlfriend was complaining because she had to pay 900 dollars full time for one child that works out to less the 6 dollars an hour. My other friends who put their children in dayhomes were shocked, and said that it an awful lot of money. So lets say that in the last two years, since min wage has risen to $8.40 (though most places start at ten dollars, because they need workers so bad), the rate for child care has risen too even then I don't see it surpassing 1200 dollars a month full time and that is still less then under 8 dollars.

Perhaps she has no idea how much to charge, perhaps she is seeing if you would jump at it. I would let her know what the going rate is where you live. Where I live $25 dollars a day, less then 3 dollars an hour would never happen, at least where I live that wouldn't be worth it. Find out what you are willing to pay and go from there, good luck.

Last edited by aqua_jellybean; 11-29-2008 at 04:04 PM.
aqua_jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #50
mugsywebb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

omg. The mama I have been talking to only needs 3 days a week for about 6 hours a day, so I said 7.50/hour and I will provide snacks since she was the same age as my son.