Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #51
cotopaxi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: $135 a day for daycare!!! I'm so frustrated :( (long)

I'm in your area, and $10/hour gets you a nanny who comes to your house (without her own child in tow!) and will do some chores like laundry while the baby is napping.

I do pay my sitter $10/hour and drop my baby off at her house, and she sometimes has her grandchild there - BUT, she is a close family friend, and I wanted to make it worth her time (it's only 7 hours/week) b/c it's worth it to me to have someone I can trust completely. If it were a stranger, I wouldn't pay more than $7/hour, MAX for that setup.

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2008, 08:45 PM   #52
126breydon
Registered Users

I can't believe that! Maybe we live in totally different parts of the country, but I do my own in home daycare and I don't charge that much! I limit my child count to 4 at a time with only 1 infant usually, sometimes I have two infants but it's usually just for an hour or two. I only charge $25 a day or if you pay weekly it's $100. I provide food, snacks, and even formula! If the infant uses a differnt kind of formula than the one I provide then they supply there own. I wish you lived near me and I would help you out. She wants to charge more in a week then I charge in a whole month! How crazy! Best of Luck!
126breydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:58 AM   #53
jewelzbird
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I want to say upfront that i only read a few pages of responses not all of them...
Thanks for this post. I am a nanny/teacher/ gone stay at home mom. I have a lot of experience and credentials but was not sure what to charge to start an in home childcare like this. As a nanny I have charged 12-18 per hour depending on the situation and family. So I was not so appalled at the $15 an hour thing. I know that in your home drop off care is different though. The thing is she is going to give your child a lot of one on one attention. Some are willing to pay for that level of care...not just one kid in the group care. Know what I mean? But it sounds like that is very high for your area and she will have trouble filling her hopes there it sounds like. I may have trouble too! LOL! Good luck!
Old 11-30-2008, 11:33 AM   #54
avidreader
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

home daycare for a LICENSED provider (this includes snack, structured play times etc) around our area in CA is about 25-35 a day- but that usually is about 7-8 hours and paying extra for more than that. However, I think $15 an hour sounds way more like a nanny that is in your own home giving your child one on one attention- not a SAHM watching her kid and yours. I personally would look into the going rate of about 5 other places in your area (make sure you specify that it would be for 9 hours) that are home daycares and quote her the average rate for those places.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:59 AM   #55
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaferriere@berklee.net View Post
$25/day is about ... $4/hr. I can't believe someone would really watch your child for that cheap.

It is the going rate here as well. Actually while both boys were being watched we paid $130 a week total, that included breakfast, snack, lunch, snack milk, juice etc . . . .the mom is at her home with her kid(s), still able to run errands etc. if needed. Also, if the caregiver can find another child to watch then they are making more than just $4 an hour. At 25 a day, four kids equals 100 a day . . . .that is almost what I get paid to teach 70 kids a day.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:08 PM   #56
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

sadly, around here that IS a reasonable rate, but I'm guessing the cost of living in MO is alot lower. if you really like her, tell her you're getting quotes of $25-35/day from others. otherwise, just ignore her.
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:14 PM   #57
heidisue
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidreader View Post
home daycare for a LICENSED provider (this includes snack, structured play times etc) around our area in CA is about 25-35 a day- but that usually is about 7-8 hours and paying extra for more than that. However, I think $15 an hour sounds way more like a nanny that is in your own home giving your child one on one attention- not a SAHM watching her kid and yours. I personally would look into the going rate of about 5 other places in your area (make sure you specify that it would be for 9 hours) that are home daycares and quote her the average rate for those places.
How do you keep care at 7-8 hours? I work for 8 hours so it is for my workday plus drive time.
heidisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:06 PM   #58
Shaylee
Registered Users

Sounds like it's the wrong fit for you and your family. The relationship between you and your caregiver is very important and it seems like, right off the bat, you and her have different expectations. I would not try to talk her price down since it is quite a significant difference. I would keep looking if I were you.
Shaylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:35 PM   #59
tinab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wowzers! There are ladies on Craigslist (Cleveland) that are only asking $10 a day! I charge $30 for the little boy I have part time. I only have him 2 days a week but it is from 7:45am- 6:45pm. I may have to pick up his brother from the bus stop on Tuesday and will get $10 for having him for part of the day. If R has preschool, I drop him off and pick him up (he goes to the same one as Loralei, just different days). I think I am pretty reasonable for the price and what I do for him. My friends Jimmy's wife owns a daycare center and they charge $175 a week for full time.
I want to know what planet that woman is on. I know my mom can be in her own world most of the time, but that would even be nuts for her!
Good luck finding a provider who is reasonable and will give your child the right standard of care.
Soon to be TTC #3; the final chapter!
Moola Invites
tinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:11 AM   #60
cheygirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're paying $43/day for a licensed home daycare with 3 other kids. Agree with pp's; the hourly rate she's quoting you is more appropriate for occasional babysitting for a few hours but not as an ongoing childcare arrangement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
sadly, around here that IS a reasonable rate, but I'm guessing the cost of living in MO is alot lower. if you really like her, tell her you're getting quotes of $25-35/day from others. otherwise, just ignore her.
Wow, mama, you're the only poster so far that's said that was a reasonable rate in your area. Dying to know, where do you live??