Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2008, 11:49 PM   #1
reesesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can I HALF wean?

Ok, silly I know . . .

When my LO turns 1 next month . . . I would like to nurse mostly first thing in the morning, naps and bedtime - 4x a day. She is currently still on a every 3 hour schedule so it is more like 7 - 8x a day now.

And what do I do . . . give her a bottle? Or don't go there and just do sippy cup? She takes one well w/ water but not sure she would drink enough with milk! And do I do Soy since I have milk issues . . . but my Hubby does not.

I am so lost.

Advertisement

Working Mama, trying to stay on cloth FT
reesesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:15 AM   #2
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can I HALF wean?

I would wait until she is one, and then gradually get her used to getting less nutrition from the breast, and more from other foods. Beverages (milk, soy, or pasturized juice) aren't really going to take the place of breastmilk, the nutrition is just not there, unless you have access to unpasturized milk. Instead of extra drinks, try to encourage food with ACTUAL nutrition in it, wholesome, healthy foods. The exception to the beverage thing would be fresh juices that you make yourself, or smoothies; both of these would be a good boost of nutrition.

You can try only bf after a meal. Such as, if she is interested in nursing and you would like to avoid nursing if possible, try a healthy whole food snack (not talking Gerber graduate snackies here, something like cut up fruit/veggies, or tofu, or raisins, would be good) and a drink of water FIRST. She will end up nursing less because she's not as hungry.

Try to have a realistic goal in mind, such as, start gradual weaning at 12 months, and be at 4x a day by 15 months.

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:41 AM   #3
ShamroxGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyvegan View Post
You can try only bf after a meal. Such as, if she is interested in nursing and you would like to avoid nursing if possible, try a healthy whole food snack (not talking Gerber graduate snackies here, something like cut up fruit/veggies, or tofu, or raisins, would be good) and a drink of water FIRST. She will end up nursing less because she's not as hungry.

Try to have a realistic goal in mind, such as, start gradual weaning at 12 months, and be at 4x a day by 15 months.
Those Gerber "baby foods" are disgusting. I only let D eat the yogurt puffs, because he acts like he'll die when I take them away.

I nurse D in the mornings (then we usually go back to bed, or he goes to his crib and I take a shower) and then after meals, with a nighttime feeding before bed after his bath.

He's usually mostly-full from eating

***4***8***12***16**20***24***28***32***36 ***40
ShamroxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
reesesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess I have the clarfiy I don't want to do this RIGHT at 1 . . . I was looking to do it gradual but wanted to know if it was realistic to do at all.

She eats lots of healthy food . . . I wasn't talking about that.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

yes, its realistic - i would call it scheduling or cutting back not necessarily weaning..

i would just try to gradually cut back to what you want.. by nursing her when you want to nurse and trying to distract her with food or milk in a cup at other times..

my pedi told me that as long as my kids were nursing 4 times per day (over 1 year) that they do not need any cow or other milk.. so don't worry about milk intake as long as you keep 4 nursing sessions per day..

I started scheduling DD at 15 mo .. I cut her back at first to morning, mid day, nap, mid afternoon, bedtime - then i cut out mid day and mid afternoon and offered snacks instead.. when she was 18 mo and i was pregnant she finally started taking cow milk once a day.. but never replaced the other nursing sessions with cow-milk..
Old 12-05-2008, 11:52 AM   #6
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we are in a similar boat...lor will be 1 next friday but still nurses 10+ X a day and i am wanting to cut it back...hopefully 6ish times a day. I have just started distracting but not refusing. If she asks i will offer a sippy cup with water or cows milk, or some blueberries, or to play with a puzzle or something. Basically streching the feedings out. She went from 3:30 yesterday afternoon to 3:30 this morning without nursing. Usually i feed her at 7:30 before bed and at 5 when she gets up. Hugs, it's doable. I just hate refusing when she is doing the cute little asl sign for nursing...how sweet!!
~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:02 PM   #7
reesesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for all the advise. i am not starting anything yet . . . i was just looking to be prepared i guess.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:22 PM   #8
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've nursed DD (9 months) 4x/day for the last couple of months. She doesn't seem to need much supplementing with formula, although if she really seems to need it I will nurse her extra or give her a sippy with formula.
CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:04 PM   #9
kt~mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: ben***katieh
seller

My Mood:

this happened pretty naturally with DS when he started eating solids regularly. he bfs first thing in morning, gets a (pumped) bottle in morning and afternoon, then bfs before bed. in between he gets solid meals and snacks along with some vitamin D whole milk during meals (daycare does this).
Old 01-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #10
annya25
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I started the sippy of milk with my DS, he pretty much entirely day-weaned! He nurses for naps and bedtime and it is so easy now! He is sooo much happier being able to play and have his milk to carry around. You can use expressed milk in her cup and start offering the sippy more now, that might ease the transition for you!
annya25 is offline   Reply With Quote