Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2006, 10:31 PM   #21
Aurelie
Registered Users
seller

Re: How many extended/ tandem nursers are here?

I'm also a twin BFing mommy. So yes to both questions although we are no longer tandeming. My little boy is too busy at 14 months to snuggle in. He pushes himself down and waves bye. Alison is still nursing more than ever lately--showing no signs of stopping. Its a bit sad to only be nursing one of them, when they have nursed and done everything together for so long, but that is how it goes I guess. I'm so lucky because I have such a supportive DH. I don't know if I could have EBF my twins for as long as I did without his encouragement and I love that I have had no pressure to wean either of them until whenever we're both ready. I asked the other day if he would ever ask the dreaded, "when are you going to wean?" question. He just looked at me rather suprised and said, "The way I figure, that is a decision for you and the babes." I LOVE THAT MAN!

Advertisement

Aurelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:16 PM   #22
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Still nursing at 15 months... DH calls him a booby boy, I call him my nursey boy.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:46 AM   #23
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:

I extended nursed my dd to 19-20 months when she weaned herself, because I was 4 or 5 months pg.

If she had wanted to I would have gladly tandem nursed the two babes...She asked to nurse a couple times after he was born, and I let her try, but she had forgotton how
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:22 AM   #24
bronxmama
Registered Users

I am nursing a 3 year old and a 5 month old... problem wiht the 3 year old, is that he can be a very demanding nurser... not at all jump on and then jump off... recently my pumping supply (I work) dropped off, and I was real concerned about him draining me, cause I needed to do some extra pumping at home for the baby's next day bottles.

He's been also waking up at night coming into my bedroom and crying for chi chi's . no nursing during the middle of the night in hopes to encourage him to sleep through the night (which he was doing fine for close to 2 years befroe baby came. He's so in love with chi chi, he has settled for sleeping holding on of my boobs... (Says in his sleepy voice, I want to HOLD IT!!!) (Problem wiht this is that he does this hold it thing in public!)

If he sees the baby nursing he doesn't want to eat.

Any thoughts...

thanks.
bronxmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:26 AM   #25
kulaswifeandmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not an extended nurser or tandem nurser.. I am 26 weeks pregnant, and I have a one year old. I had to wean him because my milk dried up when he was 10 months. But I hope that maybe when the new baby comes that he will nurse again! So then I will be both!
& Emris (6/27/11) Pregnant with #5, a boy! Due 11/10/14
kulaswifeandmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:58 PM   #26
kangamom
Registered Users
seller

I nursed dd #1 till she was 3 and dd#2 until she was 2 1/2 and tandem nursed them for 9 months. I really didn't like it. In fact, I swore I'd never do it again. I had major power struggles with my older dd. I ended up weaning her cold turkey, which I had never planned on doing. But it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Now I'm nursing my twins, who are 15 months. It is crazy hard at times, especially at night. Sleep is overrated anyway. (I keep telling myself) We rarely actually nurse together, they usually take turns. When they do nurse together its like play time, they never fall asleep. I love them though, and they are our last babies, so I think they will get to nurse until they are done, whenever that may be.
kangamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:08 PM   #27
MommyCRat
Registered Users

My Mood:

So...I've always wondered, does your milk switch back to colostrum for your little baby? And how does your older nurser handle that?
Old 11-12-2006, 10:18 PM   #28
kangamom
Registered Users
seller

Yes, most women stop producing milk at some point in their pg. My friend didn't, but she is a very productive milker. (Her breasts still fill up when my babies cry and her youngest has been weaned for over 2 years now) I didn't let my older dd nurse after the baby was born until my milk came back in and I became engorged. She was actually about 80% weaned at the time. We were back in the hospital for jaundice (I take a while for my milk to flow- usually 5 days) and I could feel my breasts filling up. Baby was jaundiced and sleepy and wouldnt drink enough to empty me, so I snuggled up with dd #1. It was very relieving to me and also very comforting to her in a time when obviously very big changes were happening in her little world. Usually toddlers enjoy the super fatty newborn milk that comes. Its like going from skim milk to half n half.

Last edited by kangamom; 11-12-2006 at 10:20 PM.
kangamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:33 PM   #29
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

YUP! Mine is 2 years and one month tomorrow and we are still going STRONG!!! I plan on having him wean. I hope to tandum nurse at some point. Way to go Mamma!

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:35 AM   #30
Sammi55
Registered Users

My Mood:

It's so great seeing all these nursing toddlers and tandem mamas!!

Here's another question: Are you open with friends and family that your toddler is still nursing? Do they approve? (Not that it matters anyway, but you know what I mean! )

I'm very open about nursing my toddler and will pretty much tell anyone. I'm hoping that by being honest and forthcoming with information I can inspire someone to breastfeed their own baby, or even just support someone else they may know. But it's a fine line between being seen as an educator/ example and being that weird lady who breastfed her preschooler. I'm finding it more difficult to find that happy medium as he gets older.

*Edited for grammar.

Last edited by Sammi55; 11-13-2006 at 06:55 AM.
Sammi55 is offline   Reply With Quote