Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
malanahsmom
Registered Users

when can you start rice cereal

I know that you are not supposed to start a baby on anything till about six months but my daughter acts like she is starving she eats every hour and will make herself sick by eating so much my sister and mother swear by a tiny bit of rice ceral in her bottle but I was not sure by the way shes only a month old I did this same thing with my oldest son and it worked great but know Im much older and don't listen to everthing my mother tells me anymore thanks for any help in advance

Advertisement

malanahsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
Picklesmom1
FSOT issues with this member. Contact administrator before any transaction~
seller

My Mood:
Re: when can you start rice cereal

My son is 3 months and the Dr told me to put him on rice cereal since he was eating so much and acting hungry all the time. He was drinking 6 ounces every 2-3hrs and then was getting sick because he was eating so fast. They told me to put 1teaspoon for every 2 ounces he drinks. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Picklesmom1; 11-30-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Picklesmom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't give rice cereal at all, especially not in a bottle!! How old is your daughter? She may just be going through a growth spurt. My MIL would tell me my daughter wanted food just because she was LOOKING at it.
Emi Marie, 8.15.14

2208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
Ahavati
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the pp saying she may be going through a growth spurt. I EBF so I don't think it makes a difference, but when my baby hits a spurt, she nurses about every hour or so and seems like she is just starving. This lasts anywhere from a couple of days to a week.

Typical spurts happen about 3-4 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months 4 months 6 months and from then on I forgot lol.

Cereal for a 1 month old isn't good. Their tummies can't handle solids until about 6 months. I would let her eat as much as she wanted and it should pass after a few days and be back to normal!

Need Scentsy? www.heavenlysweetscents.com

Last edited by Ahavati; 11-30-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Ahavati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:28 PM   #5
Ahavati
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2208 View Post
My MIL would tell me my daughter wanted food just because she was LOOKING at it.
Sounds like something my MIL would say. UGH MILs

Need Scentsy? www.heavenlysweetscents.com
Ahavati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
reagansmom05
Registered Users
seller

her digestive system is too immature to handle rice cereal and you could be asking for trouble giving it to her.
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

i also just read something that said babies sleep longer on formula and with rice cereal because their poor little digestive tracts have to work extra hard to digest it and they NEED that sleep to get them through it. so it wouldnt help her sleep longer because she is 'full' longer, its because her body is trying to deal with something its not meant to deal with.
[this is coming from someone who started her first son on solids at 3 months because it was 'fun', but then learned while pregnant with ds2 how dangerous it really can be and waited 6 months before introducing anything besides breastmilk.]
Anna, sahm to THREE boys [Reagan 4/25/05 & Hunter 7/17/07 & Logan 12/22/09 ] & one lost bean 2/15/09, Air Force Wife & SAHM. i love free gift cards from SWAGBUCKS!! EBATES and CloudCrowd and CASHBAQis where I earn paypal!! easy paid emails!!
reagansmom05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:55 PM   #7
malanahsmom
Registered Users

thsnk you all for the grat advise it helped alot maybe it is a growth spurt I just hope it ends soon I feel terrable for her she seems like shes starving no matter how much she eats
Old 12-01-2008, 07:12 AM   #8
veganf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Rice cereal is like wonder bread for babies. Skip it.
One month old is 5 months too early for solids.
If baby is still hungry, make sure she is getting enough hindmilk (or increase formula feeding frequency if you're formula feeding).
It is totally normal for young babies to want to eat every hour! Especially near growth spurts (first one is often around 6 wks). It does not mean they need less nutritious powdered cereal!
Old 12-01-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
malanahsmom
Registered Users

thanks again for the help and she is on formula I tried so hard but she ia allergic to milk and soy so far doc even said its rare for allergies to show up so soon