View Poll Results: Do you delay solids?
Yes, until 6 months 40 59.70%
Yes, until 12 months 8 11.94%
No, my baby was eating rice cereal by 2 weeks! 1 1.49%
Other 18 26.87%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2008, 09:53 AM   #21
BushelBritches
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you delay solids?

Great article--thanks for sharing it.

Advertisement

BushelBritches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:58 AM   #22
Momof3tobe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I Voted "Other" for several reasons. I personally don't think a baby starting solids at 6mths is "delayed" feeding. I don't think a baby younger than that should be on solids, but that is IMO. I don't start feeding solids until baby shows interest. Grabbing at food off my plate is a good indicator. I don't feed the cereals. I don't do Jars! All my kids were BF babies. First self weaned @ 2yrs and my second was 3yrs. This baby is obiviously EBF until further notice.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:06 AM   #23
liss_420
Registered Users

My Mood:

i voted other, dd was about 7 months when she had met all the developmental milestones (no tongue thrust, pincher grasp, sitting unassisted), and had a genuine interest in solids. we never fed from jars or used any kind of cereals. dd ate soft chunks of solids to start, like banana and avocado. she didn't have a real meal until she was 14 months, just tastes of food and the good ol' boob juice.
liss_420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:01 PM   #24
PepperOnAStick
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof3tobe View Post
I Voted "Other" for several reasons. I personally don't think a baby starting solids at 6mths is "delayed" feeding. I don't think a baby younger than that should be on solids, but that is IMO. I don't start feeding solids until baby shows interest. Grabbing at food off my plate is a good indicator. I don't feed the cereals. I don't do Jars! All my kids were BF babies. First self weaned @ 2yrs and my second was 3yrs. This baby is obiviously EBF until further notice.
We let our babies decide when it is best to start solids. My first self weaned at 10 months. He was too impaitient for nursing he kept biting me HARD. More blood was comming out than milk, so we figured he wanted something to sink his teeth into. He wanted food...lots and lots of food. My 2nd child was sitting by herself and picking up peach pieces and potatoes when she was 6 months (crawled at 7 months, walked by 9 months). She still mostly nursed until she was 13 months but she enjoyed the eating experience.

This little guy doesn't seem to care one way or the other, so no food until he is grabbing it off of my plate. He is a fat happy boy so no worries. He will get around to it sooner or later.
PepperOnAStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:20 AM   #25
kukoo
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1sarena View Post
I am revisiting this lifestyle now vicariously thru my homebirthed and CD'd granddaughter! I have 4 kids from 26.5-17.5. The oldest didnt eat anything outside of momma's milk til 12 months. I got a lot of flak from everyone but he was fine and verbal too. The youngest started her solids at 5.5 months. They all breastfed from between 26 months-15 months.
My granddaughter is now 6.5 months and is still solely on Momma!! I am proud....
My grandson is 13 months but his Momma couldnt breastfeed...he eats many foods by now but had to have special formula and all....
My daughter is solely breastfed at 6.5 months. That's my mom talking on top.
kukoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:46 AM   #26
3GirlieMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: YoliMama
seller

My Mood:

I let her decide... we tried around 7 months but neither of us was in a hurry and she didn't really show interest so I waited another month or so and then started again. Some family members didn't appreciate it but it wasn't their decision!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #27
nkintzel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Around 6 months, we put some sweet potato chunks on Ethan's high chair tray. He LOVED playing with them, but I doubt more than 6 molecules of them got into his mouth! hahaha!

We sort of waited a week or so, and then he got bananas on his tray. Not interested at all.

Basically, over the course of this month, we've done a little bit of experimenting with avocado, sweet potato, butternut squash and banana. None of them were really a hit.

However, over Thanksgiving, we gave him some squash and some mashed potatoes. He really seemed to enjoy them. He got a lot in his mouth on his own. (When I say a lot, I mean, like, a tablespoon probably)

BUT, then he had projectile vomiting and diarrhea for 3 days! I don't know if it was related or not, but now I'm afraid to offer him anything else for awhile.

I'm not really that committed to solids. He's gaining well and only seems mildly interested anyway. I'm just going to let Ethan lead the way. We're at 7 months on Saturday and so far so good!
Old 12-06-2008, 02:30 PM   #28
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkintzel View Post
Around 6 months, we put some sweet potato chunks on Ethan's high chair tray. He LOVED playing with them, but I doubt more than 6 molecules of them got into his mouth! hahaha!

We sort of waited a week or so, and then he got bananas on his tray. Not interested at all.

Basically, over the course of this month, we've done a little bit of experimenting with avocado, sweet potato, butternut squash and banana. None of them were really a hit.

However, over Thanksgiving, we gave him some squash and some mashed potatoes. He really seemed to enjoy them. He got a lot in his mouth on his own. (When I say a lot, I mean, like, a tablespoon probably)

BUT, then he had projectile vomiting and diarrhea for 3 days! I don't know if it was related or not, but now I'm afraid to offer him anything else for awhile.

I'm not really that committed to solids. He's gaining well and only seems mildly interested anyway. I'm just going to let Ethan lead the way. We're at 7 months on Saturday and so far so good!
Mashed potatoes have butter and milk in them; the dairy could have bothered him (not necessarily an allergy, just that his system needs to mature more). OR, he could have just caught a bug from someone! At his age though, I'd try to stick with foods that have single ingredients.
3inclothdiapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:13 PM   #29
tsfairy
Registered Users
seller

6 months isn't delaying IMO.

Both of my kiddos started solids right at 6mo. I would have happily delayed until 12mo because I do believe that bm provides all the nutrition they really need, but my kids had other ideas.

They were both just SO into food. No spoon feeding for these hungry kids - they would shovel food into their mouths, chew and swallow. DS2 even managed to pull himself up to get his big brother's food from a low table at 7mo and was happily eating it by the time I caught up to him.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:08 PM   #30
retromamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by liss_420 View Post
i voted other, dd was about 7 months when she had met all the developmental milestones (no tongue thrust, pincher grasp, sitting unassisted), and had a genuine interest in solids. we never fed from jars or used any kind of cereals. dd ate soft chunks of solids to start, like banana and avocado. she didn't have a real meal until she was 14 months, just tastes of food and the good ol' boob juice.

DS at 6mo is interested in food, plates, utensils, [has been for 2 months] but I can see his tongue isn't ready and he can't sit unassisted for longer than a few seconds [well, a minute]. DH's family is starting to ask, so to keep them off my back I've just been saying "we're waiting until 6mos from his due date" [he was 3 wks early]. I'm running out of time for that excuse! Hopefully the holidays will keep them distracted. DS is perfectly content with BM and is growing well [too fast IMO ]!