Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2006, 06:10 PM   #1
clothdiaperoutlet
Registered Users

My Mood:
So glad I'm still nursing

My 16 month old has the stomach flu for the first time. Vomiting, diarhea, fever, the whole bit. The only thing she can keep down is breast milk. My dh had been hinting about weaning her. But not today! LOL He kept saying, "you should nurse her again." He calls from work "Are you nursing her often?"

My mom called and kept telling me to give her gatorade. She said it was important to keep nutrients in her. Like my bm doesn't have everything she needs! She gets nutrients, liquids, and cuddling all at once. What could be more perfect!

Advertisement

girl July 2005 ~ boy June 2010 ~ boy #2 March 2013

Serving families since 2005!
clothdiaperoutlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: So glad I'm still nursing

no gatorade, that actually will constipate her, its full of salt.
BM is the best thing you can offer her and you are doing a wonderful job!
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

Did your mom mean the electrolythe stuff for kids maybe? Pedialythe or something?
Either way, I agree, your BM should be best!
Old 11-05-2006, 06:36 PM   #4
1happymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good job sticking to what you know your kiddo needs, mama!!

We're sick over here too. My 3yo DD, DH, and myself are all sick with something...feels fluish to me! I've been nursing 13 month-old DS all day to try and prevent him from getting it. We'll see! I'm definitely glad he's still nursing.
DD is getting homemade pedialyte and gingerroot tea. She's not a big fan.

Last edited by 1happymama; 11-06-2006 at 05:39 AM.
1happymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:38 PM   #5
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

yay for you! hope you're little one feels better soon.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:45 AM   #6
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OMGsh My situation at 3 months old was the exact same. My mom said the same thing. UMMMMM. NO I will feed my baby BM thanks. Works like a charm. It is funny how they can even keep water down, but they can keep BM down. HUmmm must be something good hun? Good job Mamma!

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:30 AM   #7
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Don't you love it when you can prove to DH that you're doing things right??
I'm glad you're still nursing too- and I know Camille is b/c you don't have to worry about her getting fluids and nutrients. There's a reason babies don't self-wean until they're older!
Hugs!! Hope she's better soon!!
Old 11-07-2006, 01:13 PM   #8
clothdiaperoutlet
Registered Users

My Mood:

UPDATE: Bleh. It's been three days now. Camille still won't eat anything but breastmilk. I did get some juice and water into her this morning. She won't drink Pedialyte, not even the popsicles. Dh and I both have it today.

We did take Camille to the doctor this morning. He said that if I'm sick, my milk production may dip. He advised to YES give Camille Gatorade if she won't drink pedialyte. He said it's too low in salt and too high in sugar, but it does have the electrolytes she needs and that it's better than water or juice. (Pedialyte is high in salt and low in sugar.) So apparently my mom's old advice isn't so far out.
girl July 2005 ~ boy June 2010 ~ boy #2 March 2013

Serving families since 2005!
clothdiaperoutlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:36 PM   #9
loni1090
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hope she starts to feel better. Donovan would not eat the pedia-pops or pedialyte. I tried it and it is sooo gross and salty!
Old 11-12-2006, 10:32 PM   #10
kangamom
Registered Users
seller

When my older dd was about 20 months old, she got the stomach flu. She was still nursing, but I was in my first trimester with dd #2 and my milk supply had already dried up. Well, she got so sick and so dehydrated we ended up taking her to the ER for an IV twice because she would not put anything in her mouth besides a breast, and it was dry. It was screwing up her electrolyte balance, which made the diarrhea continue, which made the dehydration worse. I was a vivious circle. The whole thing lasted a week and she ended up losing 6 lbs, which at the time was about 20% of her body weight. You could see her ribs and her hips through her back. It was by far the scariest thing I've ever experienced as a mother. I thought I was losing her. BM really is better than gatorade or pedialyte because it is the most easily absorbed fluid she can have. Its better than water even. So make sure that YOU are drinking extra water and gatorade, and just keep her nursing as long as you both can stand it. Dehydration is very scary, and it sets in SO fast with babies this little. So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep on top of it!
kangamom is offline   Reply With Quote