Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:10 AM   #1
lucy8180
Registered Users

homemade cereal

We will be starting our little girl on cereal later this week. I have the Super Baby Foods book and would like to make my own. However she uses water to make the brown rice cereal. Has anyone used breastmilk to make it? If I was buying store bought cereal I would be mixing breastmilk with it, so how do I make my own cereal and use breastmilk in it? Thanks!

Advertisement

www.grazusphotography.com
www.macyfron.com
lucy8180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #2
niajane
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: homemade cereal

I'd like to know this too. I was going to make my own but could not find an iron sup for an infant anywhere! So am using store bought br rice cereal and mashing other food.
niajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:24 AM   #3
BleedingBlack
Registered Users

My Mood:

It's better to mix it with breast milk or formula. Since I have supply problems...with DD #1 I mixed with formula and will have to do the same this time with DD #2.

As for mixing homemade cereal... everything I have read has said to use water, but I would assume using pre-made formula or breast milk wouldnt hurt? This will be my first time making my own cereal since we finally got a WinCo here and they have bulk foods.

Last edited by BleedingBlack; 12-08-2008 at 01:28 AM.
BleedingBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
clb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy8180 View Post
We will be starting our little girl on cereal later this week. I have the Super Baby Foods book and would like to make my own. However she uses water to make the brown rice cereal. Has anyone used breastmilk to make it? If I was buying store bought cereal I would be mixing breastmilk with it, so how do I make my own cereal and use breastmilk in it? Thanks!
Because you must boil it on the stove, I made it with water. The consistency was quite thick so I then thinned it out with breastmilk. Even though the book make it sounds like making rice cereal is easy and great, I found that the grinding of rice to the right consistency was a noisy pain and then my guy did not want to eat it. We bought earth's best and that was a hit. I also tried ground oatmeal and again a noisy pain and ds did not like it. Because we waited until 6 months to start solids and I only offer cereal occasionally, I'm pretty confident that the one box of cereal I bought will last us until I can just cook regular rice or oatmeal without grinding.

Although I really like the "food cube" method the book offers, I really think she is pushing too much food and water before the 1st birthday. My ped told us not to push solids and to make sure bm was the main source of nutrients the first year (or formula if I stopped bf). Just my
C- Proud mama to M (4/08). Loving wife to J. Excited about welcoming baby #2 into our APing, BWing, Non-Circing, Selective Vaxing, happy, hippy family in 03/11
clb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
paintingmom
Registered Users
seller

We also have Super Baby Foods and used it as a reference.

I used a coffee grinder to grind the rice--WOW so much easier than my food processer. Made it with water and then thinned it with breastmilk. I think if you made it with breastmilk the heat would kill most of the good things about the breastmilk.

Our baby liked to try new things so it was good for us as a reference to what veggies and fruit to try and when. Now he'll try pretty much anything.
paintingmom is offline   Reply With Quote