Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #31
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Santa Claus -- Do your allow your children to believe in him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greek4 View Post
Yes, I will allow DS to believe and encourage it. It is such a fun part of childhood. I will be very upset with the parent of the child who ruins it for him.
LOL. Seriously? If you wanna lie to your kid, that's your choice. But it's not me, or my kid's job, to keep your story going.

Advertisement

SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #32
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Santa Claus -- Do you allow your children to believe in him?

I was set against believing before kids, but didnt know how to explain it to my family anyway. now that we have kids, it is so much fun waiting for Santa, getting ready, etc. It's part of the joy until they are old enough to understand the true joy of the season.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #33
mbsr76
Registered Users

I can't WAIT for my kids to be old enough to "get" Santa. I remember how fun and magical it was, waiting for Santa, believing in Santa, and heck yes I want that for my kids. It was also a very natural thing for me, growing out of the belief and realizing the truth. I was never devastated by it, and it was never even close to being on the same level as any other beliefs (eg. Jesus, God, etc.).
mbsr76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #34
marymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Santa Claus -- Do your allow your children to believe in him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
yes but it isn't that I "allow" it. I do allow my kids to believe in whatever they want whether that be Santa, Easter bunny, Leprechans, Unicorns, boogeymen, fairies, etc.
thank you!!! i was sitting here wondering how to word that. the word "allow" really
Old 12-03-2008, 08:02 PM   #35
ttmomma
Registered Users
Formerly: ree**23
seller

My Mood:

I'm 36 and I can remember the Christmas Eve like it was yesterday (I was 7 years old) when my older brother and sister told me Santa was not real. Not only did they tell me, but they got me up from bed in the middle of the night to watch our mom and dad carrying presents from the basement to the living room. Oh, was I ever devastated to learn the truth!!

I am going to definitely keep the spirit of Santa alive for my baby as long as he'll believe!! But I also really dislike that Christmas has become more about what you get in presents and is way too commercialized. Ha, maybe cause we're broke and can't afford to lavish presents on everyone?!?

Recovering CD addict & momma to DS, who refuses to wear CD's no matter how fluffy
ttmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:30 PM   #36
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I honestly don't remember ever believing in Santa, but Christmas is still my FAVORITE holiday by far. I love it. No, we are not teaching the girls that Santa is real. We are teaching them that we all give to each other to honor Christ's gift to us, and that some people include Santa in that and it's a fun thing to pretend. (My grandma labels some things "from Santa" ). We encourage and try to emulate joyous Christmas spirit, but we don't say it's about Santa. (We also are having part of Christmas as receiving/giving in the family and part as giving to others outside our family, which feels about as good in its own way. It's easier to not make it part Santa, part Jesus, part historical/seasonal, family, etc. They'll learn about Winter Solstice too, as it's part of the history of the holiday.)
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #37
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are not doing Santa. I didn't read the other posts, but for us we 1) didn't feel right lying to our children 2) both found out pretty early on that Santa wasn't real and 3) feel like he detracts from the real reason for Christmas
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:39 PM   #38
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

DH was raised Messianic Jewish so there was no Christmas at all for him. He doesn't want DS (2) to think there is a Santa. My mom likes to tell him all about Santa. I don't know where I stand. On one hand, I think it's wrong to purposely mislead your child, but on the the other hand it's part of the fun of Christmas and I was brought up that way and I turned out ok . I just don't bring it up.

As for playing the "You better be good because Santa's watching" game...that just annoys me. Some guy at the mall the other day wasn't keeping his kids under control in the play area...just texting on his phone and occassionally belowing, "That's it! I'm calling Santa!"

ETA: I don't really get telling your kids Santa is watching and you're not getting any presents when it's really more important that they know God is ALWAYS watching and how important that is...that's just me though.
ES list IDDDSO Gira Diamonds & Stripes ringsling

Last edited by Heather8183; 12-03-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:47 PM   #39
NicoleT
Registered Users
seller

I didn't read all of the posts, but here is our take.

We don't do Santa. DD knows "who" santa is and can point him out, but only because of the Dora Christmas movie. Santa to her is just like Dora or Diego or Mickey Mouse. I am trying to teach DD who is almost 3 ys old, why we celebrate Christmas and I'm not going to confuse the issue with "Santa" who can see if she's being bad or good etc. (does this sound a little familiar to you Christian Mamas? Why are we using a fictional person as a tool to keep our children from acting out?) Even if the idea of Santa came from a wonderful giving man, today Santa can see you, he decides if you are worthy of gifts, he comes into your house to leave toys, and on and on. We are teaching DD that Christmas is about celebrating the birth of Jesus. Period.

P.S. DD's older cousins that she is close to don't do Santa either, so really, the odds of her believing in it for more than 10 minutes are pretty slim.

Full time student and Mama.
We follow Christ.

my blog
http://www.motheroftheyearblog.blogspot.com/
NicoleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:48 PM   #40
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Santa Claus is tradition here. My kids can believe or not believe, it's up to them, I really don't care either way. I think I found out he wasn't real when I was about 8 or 9... and I wasn't devastated. It was fun make believe thing. Call it deception, call it fibbing. I call it make believe, and it was damn fun.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote