Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Question for the experienced mama's

This is especially for those who are in favor of waiting 6mos or longer to introduce solids - Do you think there is ever a case when it is appropriate to start solids before 6 mos? I know there are many signs to look for, and I'm just curious that if they all appear before 6 mos, would you give solids? I'm not talking about giving solids at 3 or 4 mos, but what about 5 or 5.5? I know that developmentally babies are not ready until 6 mos, but is that not an average? And if it is an average would that not mean there babies developmentally ready sooner? It seems like so many things are averages when it comes to developmental milestones, but when it comes to feeding there is a magical 6 month marker that can not be broken.

FWIW, I'm not being snarky, I am genuinely curious.

Nichole - wife to Jay since 5/20/06
BWing, BFing,CDing SAHM/WAHM to
Finnegan 6/30/08 & Atticus 4/25/11
nm45832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Question for the experienced mama's

I have started my 5th baby at about 5 mo - I was hoping to wait till she was older but she stopped sleeping through the night and was showing all the signs as well for being ready. I think that moms usually know what is best for their baby. I had a son that I waited till almost a year because he reacted to things I was eating so each child is different.
fourboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Question for the experienced mama's

I started my DD on solids at 8 months. Then I had twin boys. Oi Vey. I had to start them at 5.5 months. They were grabbing other peoples food and trying to eat it. They would cry if I ate in front of them. So I think they were ready.
I think, like child led weaning, there is something to be said for child led solids.
Lucky Wife to Paul Mama to E 3.19.98 Jakob and Joseph 12.28.07
How to Make homemade Laundry Soap

Last edited by Jenney17; 12-04-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Jenney17 is offline   Reply With Quote