View Poll Results: BFing length poll
Up to 6 months 10 6.90%
Up to a year 26 17.93%
Up to a year and a half 34 23.45%
Up to 2 years 44 30.34%
Over 2 years...please do tell 51 35.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #21
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Re: How long did you...or do you plan to bf?

I would have liked Cara to go to at least a year, initially. After I had her and we got accustomed to each other, I decided that I'd let her go as long as she needed, with a limit though. I think if she ever got to the point where she could ask for it in complete sentences, I'd have to ease up, into weaning.
But that won't be happening. Last Friday was our last day. I'll be 20 weeks pregnant tomorrow, and my nearly numb nipples are all of a sudden sensitive, and I couldn't do it anymore. Plus, she had gone to only needing it to go to sleep at night, and in the mornings when she woke up. Every now and then at naptime. But we're done now. She's almost 11 months, so I feel like I got close to my goal. But I am still feeling really guilty about it. Like, if this LO goes longer than her, I'm afraid I'll feel like I have cheated her.

AHH! Crazy pregnant hormones.

Advertisement

Old 12-03-2008, 11:21 PM   #22
chataine
Is This Nirvana?
seller

My Mood:

my dd was just over two, ds is almost 11 mos and i plan on letting him CLW
Old 12-03-2008, 11:30 PM   #23
BA Cloth Diapering
Registered Users
Formerly: jones_AndreaL

DS was 20 mos old when DD was born. he was still nursing and when the baby arrived, i tandem nursed them until he was almost 3. now DDis 18 mos old and shows no signs of slowing! she still nurses to sleep every afternoon and night and wakes up 2-4 times each night to nurse. *sigh*...

Tandem nursing was the most incredible 12+ mos of my life!
Old 12-03-2008, 11:33 PM   #24
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I bfed dd1 for 2 weeks (stopped to take PPD meds and that, while necessary, started a formula nightmare).

With dd2, we are at 14 months and plan to go until she's done! So I voted 2+ as she is a little boob addict
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:33 PM   #25
BA Cloth Diapering
Registered Users
Formerly: jones_AndreaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cloth Diaper Kid View Post
I would have liked Cara to go to at least a year, initially. After I had her and we got accustomed to each other, I decided that I'd let her go as long as she needed, with a limit though. I think if she ever got to the point where she could ask for it in complete sentences, I'd have to ease up, into weaning.
But that won't be happening. Last Friday was our last day. I'll be 20 weeks pregnant tomorrow, and my nearly numb nipples are all of a sudden sensitive, and I couldn't do it anymore. Plus, she had gone to only needing it to go to sleep at night, and in the mornings when she woke up. Every now and then at naptime. But we're done now. She's almost 11 months, so I feel like I got close to my goal. But I am still feeling really guilty about it. Like, if this LO goes longer than her, I'm afraid I'll feel like I have cheated her.

AHH! Crazy pregnant hormones.

if you are cool with it, and if she is still going at all, i highly recommend nursing them both at the same time! tandem nursing is so cool. and your kids are going to be so close in age! they will be best budds. Big sister will pat the baby's head and all that sweet, adorable stuff. it truly rocks!
Old 12-03-2008, 11:44 PM   #26
kitkatkc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When I had my LO, I really struggled with nursing for the first couple weeks, and decided that I would tough it out to 6 months if it killed me.
After the first month, though, it is the most special time that I have with my DD, and I plan to nurse for at least a year now!
On a side note, my dad said to me the other day, how long are you going to breast feed her for? 3 or 4 months? (she is 12 weeks right now!) I think that he nearly had a heart attack when I said that I would like to BF for at least a year, and that 2 years would be optimal! Of course, not only is he male, but both me and my brother were adopted, and my SIL had to go back to work, so he really doesn't have any experience with BF'ing!

kitkatkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:48 AM   #27
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Cloth Diapering View Post
if you are cool with it, and if she is still going at all, i highly recommend nursing them both at the same time! tandem nursing is so cool. and your kids are going to be so close in age! they will be best budds. Big sister will pat the baby's head and all that sweet, adorable stuff. it truly rocks!
Even eithout tandem nursing siblings are so sweet. Today dd1 sat next to me on the big chair and hugged dd2 while she was nursing.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:51 AM   #28
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dd 1# 19 months.. she was self weaned but I wish I didn't let it happen. we had a hard transition from 1-2 going back I would've offered a little
dd #2 26 months and counting I would like to self wean but we'll see I take it day by day! . nursing while pg sucks!! tandem nursing is nice!
dd #3 turns 4 months tomorrow. obviously I'm in it the long haul. at least 2!
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #29
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

I voted over 2 years because I really don't know DS is almost 16 months and doesn't show any signs of stopping.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #30
Christina
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I voted over 2 years, I plan on letting Lizzie decide for herself. She's only 7 months old right now but is a boobie-holic so I don't plan on taking that away from her anytime soon. If she goes over 2 years then that's great, even 3 years is fine with me and then we'll re-evaluate if needed.