Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If your child's binky "broke" (you cut off the tip) How old were they?

So ds is 2 and I am ready to wean him off of the bink. I was trying to figure out the best, most gentle way. I think he may understand if they "broke" and he could no longer use them. I did however want to get some feedback on this method before we did it though. Ds is attatched to his bink. Not 24/7 but he does ask for it when tired/ upset. I am a little afraid that he will want to nurse nonstop...

Advertisement

Old 12-19-2008, 10:01 AM   #2
Okmommy06
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: If your child's binky "broke" (you cut off the tip) How old were they?

Well our DS turned 2 Nov 22nd and we tried it about 2 or 3 weeks ago with his bottle. He drinks water from a bottle at naps and bed time. It seemed like he understood but he kept asking for it, he was not happy. I even showed it to him, took him to the bathroom and he threw it in the trash. It didn't work, he was very, very upset. As soon as I put him on his bed and walked out of the room he screamed, and didn't stop till I went in to console him, he did it for at least 2 hours. So he didn't take a nap that day, I couldn't get him to nap without it. Bed time came around and still wouldn't go to sleep. I couldn't do it, I can't listen to him cry like that, so he has it back. I'm thinking we'll try again around 2 1/2 and maybe he'll understand a little more.

So I hope it works for you! Good luck.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am afraid he will take it too hard too so I am a little afraid to do it before he can really "get it" KWIM?
Old 12-19-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We went to the-paci-lives-in-the-crib around 18 months so it was just for sleeping, and then when she was about 2 we couldn't find it and just told her she was a big girl and we would look for it but it was missing right now, and gave her the favorite blanket instead, and she fussed a bit but no big deal and slept without it, so when we did find it we just chucked it
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
bellaprincess
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry mama. I'm no help to you. I believe they will give up their bottles and binkies when they are ready-no need to add stress to my life or theirs by trying to wean. oDD put her bottle in the trash, on her own at 19 months. she is 38 months now and still has binkie when tired or upset. yDD is 18.5 months and still has morning and night bottles and her binky when she wants it. They're only little once.

Good luck though, I hope you get some good advice and suggesstions.
Maggie(10.21.05) & Avah(06.01.07)
bellaprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaprincess View Post
Sorry mama. I'm no help to you. I believe they will give up their bottles and binkies when they are ready-no need to add stress to my life or theirs by trying to wean. oDD put her bottle in the trash, on her own at 19 months. she is 38 months now and still has binkie when tired or upset. yDD is 18.5 months and still has morning and night bottles and her binky when she wants it. They're only little once.

Good luck though, I hope you get some good advice and suggesstions.
I know. I guess somedays I feel like such a pushover. I am doing CLW, taking his cues on potty training. He stil has his bink... I kind of feel like a lazy mama sometimes
Old 12-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I personally don't think having a binky is such a big deal. My kids gave it up eventually on their own. They won't go to high school with it,lol. So, my outlook on it is to just narrow it down to night time and then they eventually give it up

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:49 PM   #8
bellaprincess
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2jack View Post
I know. I guess somedays I feel like such a pushover. I am doing CLW, taking his cues on potty training. He stil has his bink... I kind of feel like a lazy mama sometimes
You aren't lazy mama. He'll be fine
Maggie(10.21.05) & Avah(06.01.07)
bellaprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:56 AM   #9
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

With our middle son he was 12 mo when I weaned him from the cup and 2 1/4 when the binkies "broke." (I cut the tips). It started pushing his teeth out so I decided it was time to take it away. They are now back to normal (after just a few months, actually). GL, mama! I know everyone does this differently and has their own views on "the right way."
Old 12-20-2008, 03:13 PM   #10
rawheid
Registered Users
seller

I have no advice, we took DS's away when he was 10 mths since he didn't really use it, but he's attached himself to a blanket that is an absolute necessity for him to sleep. (he's only allowed to have it in bed. though it does creep out a few times)
Join me on Swagbucks

Last edited by rawheid; 12-20-2008 at 03:14 PM.
rawheid is offline   Reply With Quote