View Poll Results: Santa - what do you do?
Go with the flow (red suit, North Pole, presents...) 69 60.00%
Tell them there's not such thing as Santa from the start 25 21.74%
Tip-toe around the subject as much as possible 10 8.70%
Something else? 11 9.57%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2008, 04:20 PM   #11
cupcakesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Santa - what do you do?

you can only be a kid once and today childhood fun seems shortlived so I say go with it. Yeah they can be disappointed when they find out Santa is not real but isn't the idea of santa neat?

Advertisement

#2 surprise due in Nov 2014
cupcakesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:21 PM   #12
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

We do Santa, always have & still do for adults. We are not christian & do not believe in Jesus so that has no bearing on our celebrations. It doesn't matter to me whether the kids think I bought the presents or if an imaginary person brought them, for us it's the giving not the recognition on who gave that matters.

the kids get gifts from Santa & from us & from each other. Santa does their stockings. Even after they no longer believe they still get Santa stuff.

Last edited by CarrieMF; 12-05-2008 at 04:22 PM.
CarrieMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #13
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

I treat it like anything else Fairy Tale- princesses, unicorns, etc.

I love telling my 2 yr old about Santa and he is excited. My 8 yr old just asked a few months ago if he was real and I said "What do you think?" She said "Come on, Mom. Just tell me!" So I did. Now her and I help the boys get excited about Santa and I make jokes to her about it. Those 7 yrs she believed do not seem to have harmed her

Now, what I do not agree with is parents going out of their way to keep Santa alive b/c when the kids do finally figure out (and of course they all will at some point), they realize their parents lied all that time.

My dd asked me why we made up all that about Santa. I told her b/c it is fun- a big game of pretend.

HTH!
Old 12-05-2008, 04:39 PM   #14
grace_n_josie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We go ALL out! Santa cookies, reindeer foods, stocking, santa gifts! life is to short to not have some fun! I LOVED the idea of santa growing up and it is sooooo fun to see the excitment of Santa in DD.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:06 PM   #15
ElizasMommy606
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace_n_josie View Post
We go ALL out! Santa cookies, reindeer foods, stocking, santa gifts! life is to short to not have some fun! I LOVED the idea of santa growing up and it is sooooo fun to see the excitment of Santa in DD.
Totally agree!!
Old 12-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #16
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

it really hasn't come up in a way that we have to address it. if we see a santa (like in a pic) we say "that's santa", but there is no elaboration. i guess we'll probably end up saying something along the lines of "some people believe santa brings presents to children on christmas".

my friend tells her son santa lives at the mall. i love it.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:15 PM   #17
_Kristine
Registered Users

Santa "lives" in our house.

I'm a firm believer that some lies are ok. If a friend walks out of a dressing room in a hideous outfit, I do NOT say "Your butt looks like it's eating those pants!" if she loves the outfit.

I don't see any difference between Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, or any other make-believe that a child comes up with. I won't be the parent to tell my child(ren) "That's not real."
_Kristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:16 PM   #18
shanree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We make sure to make Christ the center of Christmas in our home. Our children have known from the start that there is no real santa. Each of them get 3 gifts (plus some small stocking stuffers). The 3 gifts represent 3 gifts that the wise men brought to Jesus. We read the Christmas story from the Bible each year before opening gifts and we also discuss how Jesus was God's gift to us and that giving gifts is a symbol of that. They understand that getting gifts is a privilage not a right and that Christmas is not ever going to be a big materialistic thing in our home. We also let them pick out gifts to give to angel tree children and we take gifts to the nursing home.
My kids do obviously know about the idea of santa since it is plastered EVERYWHERE... but they know from the start it is only make-believe and we encoursge them not to focus on it as it takes the attention away from the real reason for the season
JESUS LOVING Wife to Les, Full-Time Mama to Naomi (17) Elijah (11) Ian (8) Jake/Xander/Rachel (7yr old triplets) Aiden (5) and Benjamin (2) ....Homebirthing, EBF, ERF, CD'ing, BW'ing, HS'ing, Co-Sleeping, No-Circ, No Vax, 3 natural VBAC Mama. & now I am a CPST!!!!
shanree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #19
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We've always told our kids there wasn't a Santa..and Christmas is still just as happy of a time as any.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:23 PM   #20
JaeCraig
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We tell them the truth. I don't want him ever second guessing anything I say as a lie. That being said... we don't beat it into them that Santa is fake either and my 5 year old ds KNOWS not to tell other kids. His 11 year old cousin was over the other day and Santa came up some how. It was so funny to see them both hamming it up, neither one wanting to spoil Santa for the other. I finally told each of them that the other knew the truth and they both busted out laughing.

Last year our 5 yr old (then barely 4) told us that he wanted us to pretend Santa... I said it was fine for us to pretend and we stuck to it all season. Santa letter, cookies and all. As long as they know, I don't mind pretending.

This year he doesn't want to pretend Santa... which is good because we wouldn't be able to do Santa presents anyway. We instuted a 3 present rule at our house starting this year. Jesus received three presents and we are just trying to incorporate as much meaning in our celebration as we can. Plus, with three presents I'm a lot more careful what I buy and hopefully won't end up with as much junk under the tree. Quality, not quantity.
JaeCraig is offline   Reply With Quote