View Poll Results: Santa - what do you do?
Go with the flow (red suit, North Pole, presents...) 69 60.00%
Tell them there's not such thing as Santa from the start 25 21.74%
Tip-toe around the subject as much as possible 10 8.70%
Something else? 11 9.57%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2008, 08:13 PM   #31
Samo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Santa - what do you do?

i dont think pretending there is a santa is lying. is make believe lying? it's fantasy to me.

my DH gives me "christmas eve" presents signed off by "santa" every year. i think it's cute. im sure he'll do the same for our LOs when Christmas rolls around.

Advertisement

Samo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:49 PM   #32
chataine
Is This Nirvana?
seller

My Mood:

we celebrate a kind of pagan versions of x-mas? hehe we tell her santa is a concept that he embodies the spirit of x-mas, she is 3 and accepts it but we still do fun stuff like go see santa and stockings, we will teach her its us ...we vowed never to lie to our kids, but that doesn't mean x-mas can't be fun, i am just not telling my LO's there is a fat man who flies through the sky
Old 12-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #33
AVDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We do Santa here. I grew up believing and actually have no idea when I found out the truth. Obviously wasn't traumatic. ODD has told me that she knows the truth and she's fine with it. No big deal to her. It's hilarious though because now when she talks to me about what Santa is bringing she always does the signs for QUOTE, UNQUOTE in the air as she says Santa. Hehe
YDD asked but my answer to her question was "Do you want him to be real? She did, so he's still real to her and we'll do Santa with DS too. I think it's exciting for kids.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #34
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Eh, we don't "do" Santa, but we think he's a cute, fat, jolly guy and we like taking pictures with him in the mall. That's the extent of it. He doesn't bring us presents or anything, although we still do bake him cookies. (Huh, I bet that's confusing our kids. )
Old 12-05-2008, 09:27 PM   #35
debdebdebby13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read the other replies, but this is my take on the situation.

My family didn't do Santa at all. I was never encouraged to believe in Santa, we never left anything out for Santa, I never got presents that were from Santa...none of that. I was the one that missed out. I felt totally left out as a little kid. When Christmas break was over in Kind or 1st grade all the kids came back talking about what Santa brought them...I didn't get anything from Santa. My family had told me that Santa wasn't real, but I wanted to believe in Santa. I wanted all that excitement, and all of the Christmas traditions that go with Santa. I was so disappointed that all the other kids got to do something special that was really neat and fun and I didn't.

That is the reason that we are doing Santa with my DD. Its whimsical, its fantasy, kids spend their entire early childhood in a world of make-believe. We read them stories about things and adventures that aren't real. As small children, they may really believe that Peter Rabbit got all dressed and snuck into Mr. MacGregor's garden, and then went and asked all the other animals how to get out. They also maybe believe that a six foot tall cat wearing a red and white striped hat went to some kid's house and tore it all up with "things" he brought over in a box. Should we not read these stories to our kids because they are lies, they didn't ever really happen, and there's no way they could?? You can tell a little kid that they are just stories and not real, but he's most likely not going to understand that.

I feel that there is no dis-service done to my child when I encourage her to believe in something that makes her feel happy and excited. She'll eventually outgrow it, and know that it wasn't real, but I seriously doubt she is going to be disappointed in me or my husband as parents for letting her live out a fantasy.

ETA: We are Christians and we are teaching her about Jesus, and have been her entire life. She will know that Jesus' birth is celebrated during Christmas time, and Santa Claus is another Christmas tradition.

Last edited by debdebdebby13; 12-05-2008 at 09:31 PM.
debdebdebby13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:33 PM   #36
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

This is a big deal between DH and I right now. We've always done Santa even though it's not a big part of our Christmas. Our kids know why we celebrate Christmas and we've incorporated Santa in by telling the kids they get 3 gifts from Santa because that's how many Jesus received from the Wise Men when He was born.

I'd rather they know the truth, but DH disagrees. He says there is no harm in them having fun with make believe and thinks they won't have any fun at Christmas if they know there isn't really a Santa. It's a discussion we have every year and it REALLY bothers me because I want them to know the truth. *sigh* But, Dh is also good about talking with them about what Christmas is all about and Santa is a really small part. I'm glad he doesn't make a bigger deal out of it-that would be even harder for me.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:18 PM   #37
jennyz123
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi Girlie! How are you??? I hope you are all having a great December!

Well, you know me very well, so what do you think we do?

Red suit, reindeer, cookies and carrots out the night before, fireplace open - we are Santa all the way and Iris LOVES it this year. We even went to see him this year, although she was too scared to sit on his lap. She talks about Santa every day. As you might guess, I also didn't want to perpetuate a lie to my innocent child. I still remember when I found out Santa wasn't "real" and I was so upset! But I also remember the years (many years) that I believed in him as a child. It was a huge part of growing up and it was fun!

I didn't read all the replies here, but like some other folks have said I look at it much the same as make believe and imaginary play, which we do all the time. We also have the tooth fairy (well, not yet but we will), and Easter bunny. I also didn't want her to be the kid at school telling all the other kids that Santa was fake. I think it is good to let kids be kids and encourage them to use their imaginations, although I totally understand why folks would choose not to "lie" about Santa.

We also talk about baby Jesus and the "reason for the season". I think we're going to bake him a birthday cake and eat it on Christmas instead of pie or something.

I can't wait to see Iris' face when she wakes up on Christmas morning this year. Last year she had fun getting gifts and all, but she wasn't so excited like this year.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:25 PM   #38
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We will do Santa all the way. I don't consider it a lie at all, it's make believe, magic, fun! I'd never take that away from my son. Christmas is an incredible time of year, heck *I* still believe in Santa!

Oh, and we're Christians. But we don't really do any special Christian things for Christmas. We love and serve God every day of the year, Christmas is no different. We tend to focus a little more on the Santa thing honestly... Jesus wasn't even born in December most likely, lol.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:29 PM   #39
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We do the Santa gig all the way through. I don't view it as lying, I view it as imaginative play. When I look back at my childhood, I don't feel anger that my parents lied to me, I remember the fun nights giggling and trying to stay up with my sister as late as we could to catch him in the act, and baking the cookies to set out the night before, it was fun and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything, I'm also super stoked getting to help recreate them with my kiddos.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:31 PM   #40
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
We will do Santa all the way. I don't consider it a lie at all, it's make believe, magic, fun! I'd never take that away from my son. Christmas is an incredible time of year, heck *I* still believe in Santa!
I do too When we were younger, my family was pretty broke all the time, and one Christmas money was stretched to the limit and we didn't have much of anything, and one night there was a knock on the door, and we opened it up to a huge garbage bag, we opened it and it was full of toys, books, CDs, clothes and a new suit for my dad. I'm sure it was probably one of my dad's friends who knew our plight, but everyone swore up and down it wasn't and they hadn't heard of anyone planning anything. I still like to believe maybe, just maybe it was magic