Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
wildeyes
Tummy Kisses Diapers
seller

My Mood:
flavors of beans?? and recipie help needed!!

the only beans i have ever eaten are red kidney beans, which i like. but i want to expand my horizons (and stretch my dollar) so i was wondering what all the different beans taste like?? i have heard of eating pink beans and pancakes together (which sounds totally gross, but she swears its good) but beyond that i have NO idea what they all taste like, and i have a picky dd. (she wont even eat mild mild chili)

i also need a SUPER simple beans and rice recipe. i have in house:
broth
various spices (onion and garlic powder, basil, thyme, orageno, paprika, and a few others i cant remember of the top of my head)
jambalaya mix
white rice
brown rice
i have NO fresh veggies, but TONS of frozen ( i dont buy much in fresh, it never gets used up before it goes bad)

i also have "texture issues" like.. if i bite into a piece of celery in my tuna salad i will gag and wont eat it. so i need it to be the same texture throughout. all crunchy or all smooth etc. (yeah i know i am weird)

i am going grocery shopping tomorrow at aldi, and price chopper today for meats and such. i think i am going to get some ground beef, and maybe a package of cube steaks. and maybe some kielbasa at aldi (dd does like that) i have chicken in the freezer (whole and pieces)

i can handle complicated cooking techniques, but i want recipes that dont have 1.4 million ingredients, as i dont have the money to buy say.. 4 containers of spices.

Advertisement

Officially ERF!!!
wildeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
karlakc
Registered Users

Re: flavors of beans?? and recipie help needed!!

I'm a commodities broker and I deal mostly in beans & rice. So here's my professional advice on some of the most popular beans. I think Red kidney beans are among the firmest beans and that makes them good in salads and in soups or chilis that you want them to stay in tact and not get mushy. Black beans ans small red beans are also pretty firm and good for the same purposes. I would consider pinto beans, pink beans and great northern beans to be a medium texture and good for almost any application, which is one reason that pinto beans are so hugely popular. Black-eye peas are also a medium texture, but I think the taste is quite different and people either like them or hate them. Personally, I do not care for them. Navy beans and yellow beans are very mild in taste and texture and can be almost creamy. You can smash almost any beans and add them to a lot of ground-beef type dishes or casseroles to stretch your meat and lower fat while adding a lot of nutritional value. If you process navy beans or yellow beans (sometimes marketed as mayocoba beans) in a food processor, they can be "secretly" added to creamy dishes. If your family thinks they don't really care for beans, you can sneak them in this way. Experiment for yourself with different foods. Beans are cheap.

Here's a beans and rice recipe that I use. It takes about twenty minutes if your beans are already cooked:
1 small onion (chopped)
2-3 tsp pre-minced garlic
2 tbsp oil
1/2 lb dry beans (I use black beans or red beans)
1 can "Mexican recipe" stewed tomatoes
1 cup rice
(a sprinkle of crushed red pepper if you like spicy food)
1- Cook your beans according to package directions. (Make sure to add salt while cooking.) Beans take awhile to cook, but you can freeze cooked beans for easy use later. If you want to save time, you can use canned black beans, just drain them and rinse them first. However, if saving money is your goal, dry beans are definitely much cheaper.
2- Cook your rice. I usually do 1 cup rice and two cups chicken broth or vegetable broth (from bullion paste) and sometimes add a little garlic & onion.
3- Saute the chopped onion and garlic in a couple tablespoons of oil for about five minutes. Add cooked drained beans; can of tomatoes (undrained) and, if you want, you can sprinkle it with a little crushed red pepper for a spicy version. Leave out the pepper and it's pretty kid-friendly. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Serve over rice.

Hope this helps. Karla
Old 12-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
CourtCourt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Black beans and rice with white onions are a staple in our house. (I grew up in the Miami area, so I think it's the Cuban influence.) The beans are rinsed and soaked overnight, then go into the crockpot with some water, cumin, garlic, olive oil, and chopped onion. We just dump a scoopful of beans (and the "juice" over white rice and top with white onion.

I use the extra for sweet potato and black bean burritos. (YUM.)

Red beans and rice is also relatively simple, and we do pintos (with cheese) a lot as well. I can usually stretch one bag of beans throughout four or five meals, which makes them EXTREMELY cost effective.
Stocking at on 12/29!
CourtCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
wildeyes
Tummy Kisses Diapers
seller

My Mood:

ok, i bought black beans, pink beans and barley (dunno if thats really a bean, but i like it in soup) so i just soak them overnight in the fridge and pop then in the crock pot?? easy enough. soon as the monkey goes to sleep i will do that.
Officially ERF!!!
Old 12-06-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
CourtCourt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know nothing about pink beans, but with black beans, first check for any rocks or other things that sometimes sneak into the bag. Then rinse them well, and the cover them with plenty of water (they will soak in the water and "plump up") to soak overnight.

In the morning, pour off your soaking water and add new water to cook 'em in.
Stocking at on 12/29!
CourtCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:11 PM   #6
wildeyes
Tummy Kisses Diapers
seller

My Mood:

yeah i went through them and picked out any weird looking beans. the shriveled ones, broken ones, discolored ones etc. they are soaking in the ceramic part of the crock pot now. i just have to figure out what would be good to season them with now. have to do some reading before i go to bed.
Officially ERF!!!
Old 12-07-2008, 12:35 PM   #7
karlakc
Registered Users

Yeah, definitely ALWAYS sort through your beans to check for rocks and other miscellaneous that makes it through the bean mill, no matter what variety of beans they are. You shouldn't have to sort barley or rice because the milling process that removes the outer bran layer to make it edible won't allow for any foreign objects to make it to the final packaged product.
As far as seasonings to use for the beans, they usually end up pretty good with just some salt. You can add any combination of onion or garlic or cumin or chili powder to create different flavors.