Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-15-2008, 07:29 AM   #11
queenginseng
Registered Users
seller

Re: PF + Wool = Rash???

It could be normal based on your machine, I use economy mode which takes longer.

I think you only need one hot wash. You could probably save some electricity by doing a first cold wash and then the 95.

Advertisement

Mom to Joseph 10.2006 and Elizabeth 12.2010-born with a cleft palate

ISO/IHA
queenginseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:58 PM   #12
AundAPenner
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think the setting I use on my washer is a cold pre-wash, then a hot cycle.

Is that what you're talking about? Or a fullout cold wash then hot wash? Which temp would you use the detergent in?
Old 12-19-2008, 06:40 AM   #13
kettle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I definitely second the mama who said have diaper free time. We were having a problem with rashes and as soon as I started letting him have 20 minutes a day no diaper it all cleared up! We haven't had a rash since! Some babies just have more sensitive skin and need time to air out.

Booyah rubber sheets.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:07 AM   #14
queenginseng
Registered Users
seller

A cold prewash and a 60 or 90 hot wash does not cut it for me, it leaves the dipes smelly when peed in. I wash a short cycle with no temp/no detergent and a hot 60 or 90 with soap nuts or detergent. I do a 60 wash sometimes if the dipes are just peed in.

I agree with nakey time. Even if it is just sitting on the potty looking at books! Winter is not so nice for nakey time.

How are you washing and lanolizing the wool? Are you rotating a lot?

It sounds like you have a good wash routine.

I have not used them but some use silk liners (reusable) for rashes.

Mom to Joseph 10.2006 and Elizabeth 12.2010-born with a cleft palate

ISO/IHA
queenginseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:51 PM   #15
AundAPenner
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I recently bought some silk liners and we use them at night. They are *magic*!

Up until yesterday, when I received my ENI, I was using just J&J and lanolin for my wool.

BUT - we started getting an ammonia smell in our dry pail. Yikes! I washed everything again and was shocked when we got the smell even AFTER he peed!!! Ewwww.

I think I was not using enough soap. MIL reminded me just yesterday that we have hard water - lots of calc buildup in our water-cooker and coffee pot.

I've rewashed everything with more soap (was using only 40mL - I've doubled that) and then ran a full cycle again to make sure it's all gone.

We have a Samsung with the silver care option. I usually don't use it because, well, it adds time already to the wash routine. But I used it on both cycles. And I did 2 very long, full cycles - both on hot. (Can I ruin my PFs at 95???)

I'll find out today if it worked and update. Hopefully that will resolve the funk and subsequently and remaining rash.

But I'll tell ya - I am amazed at how quickly using a silk liner has helped his poor bum!

PS - DH is off work from Christmas Eve till the New Year - we're planning on LOTS of nakey time during that time!!! Being 6 months pregnant (and recently told by my peri to not add stress) means we are not PLing directly, but giving him a chance. He loves to go potty - sometimes!