Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-09-2008, 02:20 AM   #1
chanee
Registered Users

My Mood:
latch issues

my baby gt a stomach bug and we ended up in the hospital for a couple ofweeks because of dehydration. which was caused by the diarrhea. which was cause by the antibiotic they gave him "just in case".. too much to get into. it was miserable and it ruined my blissful fun. he was 8 weeks old when we went in. had never had a bottle. had a feeding schedule and ate well. and wieghed 13+lbs. (he was 10 weeks old when we made it out of there. 10lbs) they had me pumping and bottle feeding so they could keep up with his input vs output. which i can support. it was necessary. and he was so hungry and dehydrated,poor baby, that he took the bottle with very little fuss. but then when he got onthe upswing again he refused the bottle.would and will not take it at all. absolutely refuses the thing. which is fine,im here boobs aready, BUT his latch is so messed up. he moves his mouth to work the milk out. but theres no suction. he isnt sealing his mouth around the nipple.feedings are getting miserable. hes frustrated cause hes not getting it all and im upset cause its like a horrid conclusion to a nightmare. what can i do? hes just smacking and slurping and swallowing air. how do you retrain their lips to seal?

Advertisement

chanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
cheygirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: latch issues

Mama, I've got no advice but get yourself an experienced lactation consultant to work on the latch issue. So sorry this happened, especially considering how well it was going!!! Hope you get back on track soon. GL.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:02 PM   #3
Umm_Ibraheem
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: latch issues

Mama get a lactation consultant ASAP and ask for referrals from your friends as there can be some horrible consultants out there and I don't want you more traumatized than you all ready are. Also my son had sorta of a sucking problem and giving him my pinky with the nail facing down helped with this. I haven't had a problem since. Anyone else used this method?
Umm_Ibraheem is offline   Reply With Quote