Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #1
ailurus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
help please - breastfeeding and vomiting

A little bit of background - when my dd was one month (she is now almost four months) we went thru a period of over-eating and throwing up. Not spitting up, full fledged heaving. Always happy and smiling afterwards (her, not me). Anyway we figured out it was probably a fore/hind imbalance and fixed the problem. Things were hunky-dory until just a few days ago.

Now she is vomiting copious amounts about once a day but so far only when nursing lying down and within 1 1/2-2 hours of a previous feed. She does get bm in a bottle when I am at work and my husband has had no problems. Again, smiling and happy after heaving everything up. As a side note, maybe TMI, her poops are getting thicker and are quite stinky. No fever, seems to be peeing enough.

So I guess my questions are this -

1. Anyone else had problems nursing in certain positions and why?

2. She slept 6 hours last night after throwing up - ate just fine after that. At what age do the feedings start stretching out?

3. Anything else you can tell me - I'm a classic first time mom and welcome advise and stories.

Thanks - sorry for the novel......

Advertisement

ailurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:03 PM   #2
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: help please - breastfeeding and vomiting

1. Yes, some were harder than others for spit-up. Upright is best. One of my kids spit-up no matter what for the first year, and I lost 75lbs

2. Depends on the baby, how much they eat at each sitting, and other foods added. My almost 1 yo still nurses a ton, like every 2-3 hours.

3. If it doesn't go away, talk to your doctor. My ds has all sorts of allergies, and my diet affected him. Is there anything you've started eating again?
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:22 PM   #3
loni1090
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Alex was always spitting up. I thought he had reflux problems. Ended up he was overeating. and was a big time spit up baby. I would leave him upright for at least 30 minutes after he ate. Then I would alson never hold him around the tummy or else for sure he would almost projectile vomit. He got better a little after 4 months (although it seemed like eternity)
Old 11-12-2006, 10:31 PM   #4
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

i'll be watching this thread like a hawk lol....my ds seems to spit up no matter what!!!! my grammy was swearing it was b/c i don't always burp him, until she did and he spewed all over her WITH his burp LOL...well, she still said that was the reason a few times after that just wasn't as "know it all" about it
i think it may be reflux related...i know he's getting enough to eat as he's only 3 months and has more than doubled his weight . it's not as bad as it used to be...but i would still love to have a day that my nor his clothes get spit up on them!!!!!!!

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:41 AM   #5
bethy
Registered Users

My Mood:

My dd has done this basically since my milk came in - she is now 5 months and it's still happening, but not as often. It was worse when her first tooth came through and after she had her injections and she was feeling poorly, because she just kept feeding for comfort - I knew what was coming but feeding her was the only thing that seemed to make her happy.

She is always happy and smiling straight away afterwards as well - it doesn't seem to bother her. I've just learnt when to expect it and try to make my way to the rooms with tiled floors in time! Oh, and hold her facing away from me!
bethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:55 AM   #6
e_mom_e
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hmmm these are just my random thoughts....if she's throwing up 1.5-2 hrs after eating, that would make me think it's something not processing right in her tummy. If it were reflux or from over eating usually it's more right away.

Do you think it's something in your diet? Something that you eat alot of that could be giving her a reaction. Say dairy, your baby MAY NOT be lactose intolerant however, if mom eats a LARGE amount of dairy it can overload your milk with lactose and cause baby to have a hard time digesting it. There are other things you could look at in your diet as well that could be causing it.

Does she eat any solids? I think you said she's not quite 4 months yet, but if you are feeding solids, perhaps it's too early or she reacted to a food. If not then I would def look at YOUR diet.

My son ate every 2.5 hours until about 4 months then about every 3 hours, and now he's 6 months and on solids 3x's a day and bfing 5 times he nurses then eats right after. He's going from between 3-4 hrs now.

just some fyi: My son threw up a few times after feeding him bananas, and he was fine, never fussed or anything. after doing it twice, I nixed nanners from his diet.
e_mom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:57 AM   #7
e_mom_e
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

one more thing, I really think you should talk to the pediatricina about this as well so they can monitor it. In case it has nothing to do with her eating, it could be totally unrelated and it's best for them to know so they can track it.
e_mom_e is offline   Reply With Quote