Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-09-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Help with high-energy 12 mo who hates to be diapered or dressed!

My DS will be 1 year next week. He is very strong and determined. He hates to be diapered or dressed. I gave up on prefolds, and am trying pockets, which are just as "easy" as sposies to get on him. When I dress him, he screams, throws his body around, tries to crawl away, kicks, does anything he can to disrupt the process until it is finished and I put him down.

I don't remember anything like this with my first. Is this just a stage? Has anyone else dealt with this? Is there anything I can do to minimize what I see as a power struggle so that it doesn't get worse from here?

fireballgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:58 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Help with high-energy 12 mo who hates to be diapered or dressed!

well....if its a stage my 3 yo is still in it. they both were that way. micah seems to have gotten over it, but jonas....ah jonas.

so here are my thoughts, and some things i have learned.

lower the getting dressed expectations. we had/have lots of nakie or diaper or jammie time. we get dressed when we need to leave the house. its just easier.

try singing about getting dressed. or diapering. distracting/forbidden toys/objects during diapering is helpful for babies. you know, the good stuff-- the tubes of diaper cream, cell phones, remotes, thermometers, etc. playing "where's your/my nose/eye, etc" might be just fun enough to get a diaper on.

joking about putting socks on heads, pants on arms, etc makes dressing more interesting. wish i could get myself into that mindset more often. it really does help.

even at that age you might want to start giving a "warning". when this book is done we are going to get dressed/change diaper. sounds like he has a hard time with transitions, and a head's up can help with that. sometimes it backfires, but for the most part i think everyone appreciates knowing what is coming.

try and keep your sense of humor. i know (oh do i know) how very difficult this can be. i have got to get it together, my first reaction now is frustration and exasperation. im just so tired of the battle. but i know that doesn't help. i hope you are able to avoid the trap. it quickly becomes a viscious cycle.

anyway, good luck!!
~helen~ mama to 6 yo tornado twins, jonas and micah and my 3 yo wild child, eli
titania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
Registered Users

I'm afraid we bribed and still bribe our son with a bottle or toys once he became the whirling dervish on the changing table. For him, it's not about getting dressed, it's more about what he might be missing. If we make the time on the table worth it to him with novel toys or food, he'll stay put...

We have on occasion fantasized about some sort of harness restraint that goes over the child's chest in an x, but I don't think they make such a thing...
Jaz. Married to an awesome man, mama to two three cuties,
always missing our butterfly baby.
Earn gift cards or paypal $ with Swagbucks by searching with swagbucks!
jazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

My son is 9 months and does the same things! My husband "created" a little technique called, "I'm gonna put your clothes on". Basically when we're getting him dressed we grab his legs or arms and say, "I'm gonna put your pants" or "I'm gonna put your shirt on" in a really silly voice while we jiggle whatever body part it is... it cracks our son up.

Also, I have a couple of "changing" toys. These are toys he really, really likes that he's only allowed to play with while being changed.
Married to David the love muffin, humanist mother to Captain Tiny, 3/08, school teacher extraordinaire. "Teacher, can we give you the clap and cheer?"
kettle is offline   Reply With Quote