Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
HLCreations
Registered Users
Formerly: diapermamaagain
seller

My Mood:
Anyone have a cucumber sandwich recipe?

I HATE cucumbers (they ALWAYS give me indigestion! ) but the other day (okay...a month ago!! ) we went to a play date party and another mama made these ADORABLE sandwiches that were SO yummy! I had at least 3 before I realized they were cucumbers!
I know she used plain bread, cream cheese and cucumbers. But I can't find her number to get the whole recipe.
I know they were simple. She could have used mayo in them? Maybe a dry dressing package?
So I know I can't totally repeat them until I run into her again but I'm hoping someone here has a simple recipe that you just LOVE!!

Please share mamas! I'm heading to the store now to get the cukes!

Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
ShyDaisi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone have a cucumber sandwich recipe?

I would be interested to hear if anyone has any tried and true recipes. I did a quick google search and cooks.com had 89(!) recipes, but I really don't want to go through that many trials and errors.

This one looks promising though...

Quote:
FANCY CUCUMBER SANDWICHES

2 medium size cucumbers
1 tub whipped cream cheese spread
shaker of dill weed
1-2 packets of dry Italian dressing mix
1 pkg rye or wheat cocktail bread

Wash cucumbers well. Using a fork, scrape down the cucumbers lengthwise leaving "stripes" all the way around. Slice the cucumbers into 1/4 inch slices or thinner. Set aside.

In a small bowl, stir together cream cheese and dressing mix; combine well.

Using a butter knife, spread the mixture onto the individual slices of small cocktail bread (cocktail bread might be found in your deli section rather than the bread aisle, it's just a small and dense miniature version of bread).

Don't cake the slices with the mixture, just a thin layer concentrated in the middle of the slice.

Next, lay one slice of cucumber (per slice of bread) in the middle of the bread. Once done, shake a small amount of the dill weed onto the cucumber slice. Remember that dill is strong and a little goes a long way. Just one or two taps of your finger on the shaker should do it per slice.

The ruffling of the cucumber slices with the fork and the dill garnish really dress up this open faced appetizer. I always get raves about this at parties and requests for it at potlucks.

Just remember to cover them tightly because the bread will dry and the cucumbers will get wilted if left out too long. It's a good idea to do some preparation work the night before, but leave the slicing of the cucumbers and the assembly of the sandwiches for the last minute.
ShyDaisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

mmm sounds tasty
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:40 PM   #4
mamasneedlove
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, that recipe sounds good, or just mix in some dill with some cream cheese and use that. Maybe add some mayo to the cream cheese to thin it?

jen
mamasneedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:36 PM   #5
south5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always use rye or pumpernickel bread from the bakery cut into little slices. Then you peel and slice the cucumbers. For the spread you mix mayo and dill until it tastes good to you. Spread it on the bread and top with cucumber. I use light mayo to make it a little healthier.
south5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:01 PM   #6
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

I love dill with cucumbers... yumm-o! I like to mix dill with light cream cheese and cut the cucumbers paper-thin. Spread the cream cheese mixture on rye, top with cucumbers and season lightly with salt and pepper.
RebekahG77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
txmom72
Registered Users

My Mood:

If you get english cucumbers, they don't have the seeds in them (which is what causes the heartburn). Or you can scrape out the seeds and slice the cucumber for the sandwich.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #8
veganf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Here's my fave: http://veganyumyum.com/2007/03/cucum...ches/#comments