Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-16-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
Honeymommy3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What's an alternative to shortening?

I'm just a beginner cooker, but I'm thinking shortening is like cooking grease I don't have any, what can I substitute with? Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 12-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
ceelynncee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What's an alternative to shortening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeymommy3 View Post
I'm just a beginner cooker, but I'm thinking shortening is like cooking grease I don't have any, what can I substitute with? Thanks!
What do you need it for? I think most fats are interchangeable in cooking but for baking some are specific.
ceelynncee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Honeymommy3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

cookies!
Old 12-16-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
ceelynncee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Darn,I was hoping you just needed it for cooking. I'm a pretty sorry baker but I think that cookies are best done with shortening or real butter. Hope someone else knows more.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
GraceDancer
when Grace dances, I should dance
seller

My Mood:

Here's info that I cut out of a magazine a long time ago and taped to the inside of my kitchen cupboard door. -

"Many times, scanning the ingredient list will give you a quick ideas of the type of cookie it will be. Cookies made with white sugar will tend to be crispy, while those with brown sugar will produce a soft, chewy cookie. Maple and corn syrup also help to produce a crisp cookie. Cookies made with honey will be soft upon standing.

The type of fat used will affect the spread of cookies. Those made with all butter will spread more and be crisper than those containing shortening. Cookies made without eggs will spread more. Those made with egg and an acidic ingredient, like chocolate or brown sugar, will have more puff and spread less."

I remember my grandma always using half Crisco and half butter in her cookies.

Sometimes you can substitute mashed banana for the fat - but the consistency will definitely be more chewy.

Many times margarine and shortening are interchangeable.
Never use low fat margarine - there is too much water added and the baking will not turn out.

Using butter will make them brown faster, so that needs to be watched with some lighter cookies.

Happy Baking!!
Old 12-16-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
ceelynncee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceDancer View Post
Here's info that I cut out of a magazine a long time ago and taped to the inside of my kitchen cupboard door. -

"Many times, scanning the ingredient list will give you a quick ideas of the type of cookie it will be. Cookies made with white sugar will tend to be crispy, while those with brown sugar will produce a soft, chewy cookie. Maple and corn syrup also help to produce a crisp cookie. Cookies made with honey will be soft upon standing.

The type of fat used will affect the spread of cookies. Those made with all butter will spread more and be crisper than those containing shortening. Cookies made without eggs will spread more. Those made with egg and an acidic ingredient, like chocolate or brown sugar, will have more puff and spread less."

Sometimes you can substitute mashed banana for the fat - but the consistency will definitely be more chewy.

Never use low fat margarine - there is too much water added and the baking will not turn out.

Using butter will make them brown faster, so that needs to be watched with some lighter cookies.

Happy Baking!!
Thanks! This great info. I plan to try baking more,it's frustrating when my efforts to bake get met with
Old 12-16-2008, 05:52 PM   #7
NatureMama4
Registered Users

My Mood:

Spectrum organic shortening. not hydrogenated and works perfectly.

Noah 10
& Enoch 5
NatureMama4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:33 PM   #8
Honeymommy3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceDancer View Post

Happy Baking!!

I'm going to print this out. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2008, 10:38 PM   #9
GraceDancer
when Grace dances, I should dance
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeymommy3 View Post
I'm going to print this out. Thanks!
Double-stick tape to the inside of a cabinet door!

You are welcome!
Old 12-17-2008, 11:36 AM   #10
c1sarena
Registered Users

Coconut oil is great in cookies and in general for everything!
c1sarena is offline   Reply With Quote