Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-26-2008, 09:15 PM   #11
sistermommy
Registered Users

Re: What age is ok to night wean?

I'm watching too, I'm so stumped. I've got a 9 mo, and I'm trying to figure out how to get more sleep too.

Advertisement

Old 12-26-2008, 09:27 PM   #12
lirpasirhc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my 9-month-old started nursing a lot more lately - 4-5 x per night. i think it's a phase connected to teething and lots of motor development. i'm tired, but i really think the night nursing is a need for her, so i'm ok with it. i'm also considering Jay Gordon's plan after 12 months. i think babies really need the nutrition from night nursing before 12 months.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #13
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable doing it before 18 months.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:45 PM   #14
miabean
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, he went back to once a night I'll take it. I hope all you other mamas get some sleep soon!

lactivist, intactivist, cloth diapering, crazy mama to THREE boys
miabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #15
gideonsmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

My son night weaned himself at 3 months. It makes life a lot easier for me during the day. He is a very happy and healthy little one and he makes up for it by eating really well during the day. He also hardly ever wakes up in the night at all, and when he does he just takes his pacifier. I have a book called "On Becoming Babywise" by Gary Ezzo and it really helped us with nursing and "teaching" him to sleep through the night. He doesn't advocate letting them cry all night or anything, just things that you can do during the day to help them learn to sleep at night. I plan on nursing him for a long time, but I'm thankful for long nights of rest!

Last edited by gideonsmommy; 01-02-2009 at 09:43 PM.
gideonsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:03 AM   #16
miabean
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

nevermind - I heard that is not a good book.

Last edited by miabean; 01-03-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #17
sistermommy
Registered Users

The "On becoming Babywise" is a nice book, but it doesn't have any real proof to back it up, (To quote to the book " Baby 411" which is my baby bible). It can work, but it can also be detrimental to babies who need more nurishment.
Anyway, I just wanted to update that after reading this thread and looking at the links, I've managed to cut out one night feeding, and now my baby has a sleep period of 5 hours (sometimes more!). Of course, I haven't gotten to have this because of the other children in house (that does include my dh :P). But I especially liked the idea of cutting out the 'middle' feeding. By just cutting out one feeding I've gotten to get so much more sleep, and my DS seems to sleep more too. THanks everyone!
Old 01-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #18
mommytotrey
Registered Users

My Mood:

The problem is, all babies are so different. My ds night weaned at around 6 months. I read that babies do not need to eat at night after around 6 months. We didn't do it intentionally, he just kinda did it on his own. He also self weaned at 12 months. We used the cry it out method with him at night and it worked great for us because he is just such an easy kiddo. He would cry for like 5 minutes and go to sleep. HOWEVER, I have friends who have tried the cry it out method and their kids cry for hours. It just really depends on the child. Teething also never really bothered our ds. So, when he was teething he still didn't wake up at night. I know some kids can get pretty sick with teething.

So, for those of you that hate me now...I am currently pg with #2. I'm almost certain that this one will be the total opposite and I'll be back on here asking these same questions in a few months LOL!!
Lauri - Mommy to Trey 8/7/06, wife to my sweetie 9/1/03 EDD with #2: 5/2/09

Owner - www.LittlePaddedSeats.com - Products to soften baby's first years!
Happy Heinys, bumGenius, Thirsties, Jamtots Berry Plush, Baby Kangas, Wahmies, etc...
mommytotrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:01 AM   #19
philomene
Registered Users
seller

My DS was really bad with the night wakings at 8 months too; he was waking at LEAST every 2-3 hours and sometimes a lot more. As I understand it it's just a phase they go through around that age; he did get better after about a month (now 1 or 2 wakings a night, at 11 months). It should pass! I wish I had some advice on what to do in the meantime, though. :/ I know it's not always possible but get as much help from hubby or whoever else during the day, take a nap if you possibly can!

If after a couple weeks it hasn't gotten better and/or it's really seriously hard on you to the point you just can't deal anymore, I say don't feel bad about night weaning. You need to be able to function in your day.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #20
miabean
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomene View Post
My DS was really bad with the night wakings at 8 months too; he was waking at LEAST every 2-3 hours and sometimes a lot more. As I understand it it's just a phase they go through around that age; he did get better after about a month (now 1 or 2 wakings a night, at 11 months). It should pass! I wish I had some advice on what to do in the meantime, though. :/ I know it's not always possible but get as much help from hubby or whoever else during the day, take a nap if you possibly can!

If after a couple weeks it hasn't gotten better and/or it's really seriously hard on you to the point you just can't deal anymore, I say don't feel bad about night weaning. You need to be able to function in your day.
Thanks mama! Its kinda hit or miss with this guy. Some weeks it is 4-5 times, other days it is only 1 or 2. He is absolutely not teething, so I don't know what the deal is. I feel bad because some nights I am so sleep deprived that I don't hear him until he is screaming I know I can get through it. I wish I could cosleep, but I get even less sleep because our bed is too full with me, dh,ds and then add another ds, oh my! So I only have a few months to go before I'm gonna night wean.

Thanks to all the mamas for replys!