Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
momahen07
Registered Users

My Mood:
thinking about trying ec/dont know where to start

ok first i will be trying it with a 8 week old and a 13 month old. i know i need to get a potty. but other than that ,will my children just be runing around peeing and pooping all over the place or what? ,dh is against it because thats what he thinks is gonna happen.also how did you deal with family on this issue , ?

Advertisement

Old 11-08-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
SamanthaE
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: thinking about trying ec/dont know where to start

I started ECing about a month ago with my 5 now 6 month old. The easiest way for me to start was to get a potty. I would then just use PFs no covers and see when they pee and poop. You probably will want to work with the littlest one since the 13 month old has already learned to poop/pee in diapers. I would go to the diaper free baby website. They have alot of good information.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i would start as slowly as u feel comfortable. We also started EC with DS#2 @ 5mos but had to stop at 8 mos because he was so mobile and then stop again at 12 mos for him walking - did not want to sit.

i kinda gave up but i think we could have continued if we really tried. but i stressed too much - always trying to "save a diaper". I wouldnt' do it to save $$ on diapers or laundry. Because then u stress about trying to "catch the pee or poop" and miss the point. it's a process that you both should enjoy. It's taken me traditionally PL 2 kids before I have figured this out. Esentially it is like PL a 2yo - u need to be prepared for lots of messes and keep it light and breezy. Kids pick up on the stress so quickly. We have a lot of carpeting in this house so it is hard for me to be breezy about it, but stock up on carpet cleaner & have old towels nearby if this is u. If u are serious about it i would have some things on hand - this will make it smoother.

We are now starting wtih DD 3mos old and im simply having fun with it. I think in the long run the benefit is it will make PL easier and quicker. I dont have the time it takes to take her Potty every 20 mins. but before a change or after a feeding is sufficient for us. She's a heavy wetter so she will always wake up wet, but that used to discourage me and we'd go back & forth. I would invest in some essentials before starting to make it easier & more likely to stick with it. U can always re-sell them here if it doesnt work out.

Get the Diaper-Free Baby book by Christine Gross-Loh. It is so simple to read & u can also just read the sections that pertain to your child's age.

Get a few potties. BBLP for the infant. A plastic bowl works for out of the house, but again, keep it simple to start, is my . Have it hand - get a couple if u can. We just have one and are keeping it on the changing table. u can hold them over it but m DD is big enough she can sit with me holding her. We have a large mirror there so she is entertained. U can also use a bathroom sink! (holding them over) Dont worry about DS yet but he might be intrigued by u taking little sis. have a potty ready to start with. We like the Elmo potty from Babies R Us - it has a firm but soft cup that holds back most pee from boys. the baby bjorn did not work well for this for us.

Fleece blankets are a great buffer for moisture and we have them all over the house - on couches, etc. Also, going diaperless or w/o a cover didn’t work well for us – but maybe it will as we progress. I am very absent minded, so we would have leaks and messes and that added to my stress.

We are also going to invest in a few pairs of baby legs. or just take some of DH's old socks for now & cut them to use - just to try it out. u can get the cute ones later.

But that’s just my personality. U have to take all the tips and hints and find what works for u and your family.

We aren’t announcing it as something we are doing. Just something mommy is trying right now. Show the "results" to DH - and he might want to give it a try. it's a nice time to play together. If you and baby are having fun, who is family to judge u? Don’t worry about it. They’ll see the results soon enough.

Last edited by vintagegyrl; 11-09-2008 at 10:04 AM.
vintagegyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #4
momahen07
Registered Users

My Mood:

thank you both, oh and i have 2 girls lol ,but lots of peep see isabellas hair and thank she's a boy lol
Old 01-06-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
MelissaMarie
Registered Users
seller

I would focus on the 8 week old first. Less of a battle of wills than with the 13 month old! Also, you don't *need* to get a potty. We don't have one - I don't like them!

Keep the baby in diapers. Check if diaper is wet frequently - I would say every half hour at least. As soon as you know a diaper is wet/soiled, change immediately. Talk to baby about how it doesn't feel nice to have a dirty diaper. After cleaning baby up, take baby to potty/toilet and offer a chance to pee. We did this with our son from birth, and almost always he would pee or poo a little more in the potty, even after having a wet/soiled diaper. Put a dry diaper on and repeat. Over time, you'll notice subtle cues before the diaper is wet and you can offer the chance to go potty then.

Oh, and why tell the family? If you're not comfortable, you don't have to tell them. Plus, it might be easier if you have a little experience and a little success under your belt! I find a good approach to telling people is to talk about how babies know they need to eat or need to sleep, and moms can tell by the way they cry which is which. Well, babies also know when they need to eliminate (come on, even animals know!) and they cry a certain way when they do. And moms can learn that cry too.
MelissaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
PsyckoPrincess
Registered Users
seller

I just recently started ECing my DS (started at 6 mo) and since he can sit up I got the Baby Bjorn Little Potty. I find that the little 'splashguard' keeps things in just fine. I've also held him over the "big toilet" lol and he's peed in there too. Since I just head to the BBLP if I think he needs to go i've never used a kitchen or bathroom sink... but I guess it'd work just fine

I did tell my family but it was mainly because right from the start DS was pooping and peeing fairly regularly in the potty and i was AMAZED! and had to share with people. My mom was ecstatic and she * my pop have used the potty with DS successfully as well. MIL was like "that's nice" and though I brought the potty for a day at her house she didn't even think about using it. So I think people are going to react however they are giong to react and you can't help that. If you think it will add stress to your plan by having to "worry" about what others are thinking then I wouldn't tell them.... that's just imo.

Good luck - and remember it'll be frustrating getting going but dn't give up too quickly, the LO's do learn to do this and it's so amazing to be a part of it!!
Christ-following, EC'd, circ'd but non-vacc'd, ERF'd, crunchy, tattooed, organic & green, plant-based single SAHM , to my 100% natural-birthed DS lil herbivore boy! 6/19/08! Visit us! http://herbivoreadventures.com/
PsyckoPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote