Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #991
lj2blessed
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1mg View Post
Take from this what you will...

I found it interesting in my OB's office they have a sign in several places that says,

"50% of American Boys and 80% of Canadian Boys are no longer circumcised."

I had NO idea the rates were so high now!
This is pretty awesome. I'm pretty sure that most folks don't know how high these rates are (I certainly didn't)! Thanks for sharing

Advertisement

lj2blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #992
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingMercy View Post
I was thinking about something the other day. The thread about using a male or female OB brought up the idea to me that some of the same mamas that use male OBs have their son circ'd because dad wants it. They say that he has the penis in the family so he should make the decision. If that's really the mindset, then shouldn't they only be going to female OBs? Why let a man make decisions about their lady parts if a woman can't make a decision about boy parts?
The real reason why the decision must be left up to dad is b/c dad is the only one who really NEEDS the baby to be circumcised. All the "matching daddy"/locker room arguments for circumcision are not for the baby's benefit - they're for dad's benefit. Very few men remember seeing their father's penises, and of all the intact sons with circumcised fathers I know, none of them wished they could have part of their penises cut off to match dad. None. Who would? And that's the fear that the men have - they have been taught that their amputation was desirable and beneficial, and that those who were not circumcised are weird and look weird. This is an important fiction to maintain, b/c if intact men are not weird/dirty/undesirable/in danger of rotting off and dying at any moment, then the circumcised men just have less penis for no good reason. It's all to prop up dad's ego, and if the mom already has a circumcised son, to prop up hers, too.

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd1 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ Dd2 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #993
my*scorpio
Registered Users
seller

I'm expecting DS#2 this spring. He (like his older bro) will be intact in Michigan

Jennifer, mama to two boys and a girl
my*scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #994
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lj2blessed View Post
This is pretty awesome. I'm pretty sure that most folks don't know how high these rates are (I certainly didn't)! Thanks for sharing
AND the cool thing is this isn't even a super crunchy office or private practice or something.

THIS is the HOSPITAL OB's office. Publicly funded.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #995
jr1008
Registered Users

My Mood:

I just read an article that was shared on here and watched the circumcision video. I feel even more strongly that it is not necessary to put my future son through that. I am currently expecting my second baby and if its a boy, I am afraid there is gonna be a fight. I don't know why my husband thinks its necessary but I just know it makes me hurt to think of having that done to our future son. Any advice on how to try and get my husband to see my point of view? His logic is that he doesn't remember it and neither will the baby, but I know I will remember it
Old 01-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #996
angelina_lover
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't read through the thread but the top #1 for reason for us to not have circ'ed is we don't want to
angelina_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #997
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1008
I just read an article that was shared on here and watched the circumcision video. I feel even more strongly that it is not necessary to put my future son through that. I am currently expecting my second baby and if its a boy, I am afraid there is gonna be a fight. I don't know why my husband thinks its necessary but I just know it makes me hurt to think of having that done to our future son. Any advice on how to try and get my husband to see my point of view? His logic is that he doesn't remember it and neither will the baby, but I know I will remember it
I would have him do the same research you've done. Watch a video and read the facts. Remembering the pain doesn't matter or not...its a reason of why do it?

Blaming typos on my "smart"phone's auto-correct
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #998
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1mg View Post
Take from this what you will...

I found it interesting in my OB's office they have a sign in several places that says,

"50% of American Boys and 80% of Canadian Boys are no longer circumcised."

I had NO idea the rates were so high now!
That sign might be out of date. The current rates for intact are actually around 70% for American boys, and 90% for Canadian boys.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #999
jr1008
Registered Users

My Mood:

My sister just had her son last month and he was circ'd. The next time I changed his diaper she asked what did you think. I told her it looked like it hurt, her reply was it had to be done. She is very strong willed so I don't fight with her. I am just sad for the baby. It just makes me hurt. The reason around here is hygiene and medical. But what she don't know is our favorite aunt did not circ our cousin because our uncle wasn't and she though it was unnecessary. I am still saying no if this one is a boy. I will not make an appointment and my husband will probably forget to lol.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #1000
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsis

That sign might be out of date. The current rates for intact are actually around 70% for American boys, and 90% for Canadian boys.
Woo hoo!

Sent from my LG Ally using DS Forum