Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #1251
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc View Post
I still don't understand why parents buy into this stuff. cutting off my baby's nose might reduce the likelihood of him smoking and developing lung cancer, but I'm not going to mutilate my healthy baby for a fractional reduction in something caused by risky adult behavior.

Frankly this is another reason I'm happy to be an atheist. The truth is serious advocates want to circumcise because they think God wants them to do it, not because they think it's an objectively good idea. if I thought God wanted me to cut off my newborn's pinky toes not a doctor in the world would go along. The only difference between that and circumcision is commonality. the fact that something is common isn't enough to make it right.
Though I am an atheist, too, I think it is not so much the religious motivation but just the unthinking sheeple doing what they think everyone else is doing. The US is majority Christian, and it is not a part of Christianity (though there are some few dim bulbs who claim so); it continues because people have swallowed the old ridiculous ideas that basically amount to "The foreskin is a disgusting, filthy flap of skin that might explode or doom a man to virginity and a crappy relationship with his dad." At the same time, these health reasons are after-the-fact excuses trotted out to make their real motivation of "fitting in" sound better than it is. After all, everyone has heard, "If your friends jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge, would you jump, too?" So they know that "Because everyone else did" would sound bad, and so they jazz it up with some pseudo-science that they might actually think carries water, though it was nonsense when it was written 150 years ago.

Advertisement

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd1 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ Dd2 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son

Last edited by Galatea; 08-23-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #1252
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
Though I am an atheist, too, I think it is not so much the religious motivation but just the unthinking sheeple doing what they think everyone else is doing. The US is majority Christian, and it is not a part of Christianity (though there are some few dim bulbs who claim so); it continues because people have swallowed the old ridiculous ideas that basically amount to "The foreskin is a disgusting, filthy flap of skin that might explode or doom a man to virginity and a crappy relationship with his dad." At the same time, these health reasons are after-the-fact excuses trotted out to make their real motivation of "fitting in" sound better than it is. After all, everyone has heard, "If your friends jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge, would you jump, too?" So they know that "Because everyone else did" would sound bad, and so they jazz it up with some pseudo-science that they might actually think carries water, though it was nonsense when it was written 150 years ago.
I agree that people who circumcise in the USA do it primarily because it's a societal preference. What I'm saying is that people who vocally advocate for the right to circumcise and who promote the supposed health benefits are driven by religious conviction. I can't think of any truly secular institutions that promote routine circumcision, and the people engaged in legal battles to prevent legislation prohibiting the practice nearly invariably cite religious freedom.

Last edited by Palooka; 08-23-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #1253
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea

The blog you posted the other day says that more than likely the AAP will come out and reccomend circ. I'm so truely sad about this! I dont understand why they are the only medical organization that recommends circ and most Americas dont question this?

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #1254
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc View Post
I agree that people who circumcise in the USA do it primarily because it's a societal preference. What I'm saying is that people who vocally advocate for the right to circumcise and who promote the supposed health benefits are driven by religious conviction. I can't think of any truly secular institutions that promote routine circumcision, and the people engaged in legal battles to prevent legislation prohibiting the practice nearly invariably cite religious freedom.
Ah, now I see what you mean. Yes, the most vocal circumcision advocates in the medical field are indeed Jewish and motivated thusly. Others of them have gross psychosexual motivations and are or were members of circum******ist groups.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #1255
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushie tushie View Post
The blog you posted the other day says that more than likely the AAP will come out and reccomend circ. I'm so truely sad about this! I dont understand why they are the only medical organization that recommends circ and most Americas dont question this?

Well, we will see what they will do, but bear in mind this:

-The AAP is a trade organization representing the business interests of pediatricians. They have a strong incentive to protect the revenue stream of their members who do circumcisions and earn a tidy side income from that procedure.

-They are unlikely to be very pro-circumcision because to do so would put them out of line with every other medical organization, including the CDC and WHO, which still haven't advocated for *infant* circumcision to prevent HIV.

-They'll probably just try to work in a line about HIV and still come back to their current position which is "parent choice." Though as the blogger said, it is reprehensible that they, as doctors and thus hopefully able to make a medical recommendation, don't feel comfortable putting a hard position, yet they somehow expect parents to do it.

In the end it comes down to basic common sense. Will you tell a circumcised son he doesn't need a condom? No? Then your reasoning is a smoke screen to cover your true motivations.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #1256
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea

Well, we will see what they will do, but bear in mind this:

-The AAP is a trade organization representing the business interests of pediatricians. They have a strong incentive to protect the revenue stream of their members who do circumcisions and earn a tidy side income from that procedure.

-They are unlikely to be very pro-circumcision because to do so would put them out of line with every other medical organization, including the CDC and WHO, which still haven't advocated for *infant* circumcision to prevent HIV.

-They'll probably just try to work in a line about HIV and still come back to their current position which is "parent choice." Though as the blogger said, it is reprehensible that they, as doctors and thus hopefully able to make a medical recommendation, don't feel comfortable putting a hard position, yet they somehow expect parents to do it.

In the end it comes down to basic common sense. Will you tell a circumcised son he doesn't need a condom? No? Then your reasoning is a smoke screen to cover your true motivations.
I guess I just am in total ah that they really still take this stance and worse yet are going to use something like HIV to scare more parents to to do. They should have our childrens best interests in mind not money... It just makes me sad.

Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
Old 08-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #1257
Fellow Traveler
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushie tushie View Post
I guess I just am in total ah that they really still take this stance and worse yet are going to use something like HIV to scare more parents to to do. They should have our childrens best interests in mind not money... It just makes me sad.

This is what it really comes down to. I will tell you what their primary position will be. They believe that there is enough justification that all parents should have access to circumcision if they want it. That is to say the intent of this new position will be to make sure third party insurers (like Medicaid and private) will cover it. But it's not a general recommendation, there isn't anything that hasn't been known of or discussed here or elsewhere the last five+ years. There won't be a general recommendation, the recommendation is essentially parents should be able to decide, and there is enough 'justification' to encourage insurance to pay.
Fellow Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #1258
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
http://blogs.babycenter.com/mom_stor...-circumcision/

I woke up to this crap this morning. Seriously, how do Americans by this bull?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #1259
norrahsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Idk if this has been posted, and I took it from the app, so not sure if the link will work.

http://nbcnews.to/QJOal5
Lacee- Mommy to my girls Norrah(4/09) and Naomi(1/13) Expecting #3 (10/14)

norrahsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #1260
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I seriously can't wrap my brain around this.... Do Americans really think that Europeans are losing peni left and right do to penile cancer? What a stupid argument. Lets compare our first world country to Uganda. What happened to good hygiene and safe sex....