Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #1521
Scarlett's mommy's Avatar
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lawton, ok
Posts: 4,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post

Maybe we should give you guys your own section then. That'd be fine by me.
Lol I'm really not trying to argue I'm just bored at home I dont even have a son to circ or not

Advertisement

__________________
going down with the ship.
Scarlett's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #1522
jen_batten's Avatar
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,498
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsis View Post
I'll agree that it is a personal choice. It is a choice that belongs to the person with the body part, the person actually being cut, having a functional body part removed without consent. His body, his choice.
Well that's you opinion anyway, and I know many on this board share that opinion. But it's largely irrelevant since in America it is a parent's choice.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #1523
kushie tushie
No Longer Here
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,777
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsis View Post
I'll agree that it is a personal choice. It is a choice that belongs to the person with the body part, the person actually being cut, having a functional body part removed without consent. His body, his choice.


I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #1524
jen_batten's Avatar
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,498
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett's mommy View Post
Lol I'm really not trying to argue I'm just bored at home I dont even have a son to circ or not
Lol! I wasn't being mean spirited either, and your posts have seemed plenty friendly to me. I'm bored at home too. Maybe that's what we need a section for. But I think that's all of diaper swappers, lol.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #1525
Scarlett's mommy's Avatar
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lawton, ok
Posts: 4,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post

Lol! I wasn't being mean spirited either, and your posts have seemed plenty friendly to me. I'm bored at home too. Maybe that's what we need a section for. But I think that's all of diaper swappers, lol.
Lol so true I just wanted to be clear because I know tone is hard to read
__________________
going down with the ship.
Scarlett's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #1526
DesertRat's Avatar
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,547
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

It was thanks to threads like this one that ever got me thinking about circumcision, which I am grateful for. I would have circumcised my boys without any thought, and without ANY understanding of the procedure.

While I understand that circumcision in the US is a parent's choice, for those of us that feel strongly about it, we feel like it should be the child's choice. That's the reason we continue to bump threads like this one. I feel like the more people know and understand about circumcision, the more they are inclined to be against it.

IMO, we can talk all talk about the so-called pros and cons of circumcision and whether or not the lowered risks of UTIs, STDs, HIV, penile cancer, etc are worth cutting off the foreskin. And when we limit our conversation to just that, we disregard the PROS to having a foreskin.

The thing that makes me passionate about NOT circumcising, is that the foreskin has a purpose. It's highly specialized tissue and cutting it off results in a 100% chance that penile sensitivity will be reduced. As a parent, I don't have a right to do that to my child.

As a wife, I can see now how my DH's circumcision affects our intimate relationship. When I read about all that the foreskin does, I realize how much is missing now. Sure, we're happy and we make it work. DH doesn't have any "complications" per se, but he (and I) are still affected by the choice his parents' made. And quite honestly, I'm really upset about that. They had no right to interfere with our intimate relationship.

However, when they made the choice to circumcise him, they only heard about the "benefits." No one told them their son's sex life would be permanently altered. I feel like essentially we (as a society) have been lied to by the medical community because they have left out that very vital piece of information. Though really, I don't even think doctors themselves really understand the function of a foreskin because most US doctors don't have one either and have been duped by the same misinformation.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #1527
DesertRat's Avatar
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,547
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Ans what is it gives either of these websites credibility? I am not saying that Biblical circumcision was preformed as today's are. I can think of at least a couple things off the top of my head that makes them different. One being no pain relief, and one being who the procedure is preformed by. But DS is the only place I've seen it referred to as a slit, I think I once also say it referred to on here as a puncture, but I just do not think either of those description are historically accurate. The Bible clearly talks about it as the removal of flesh. As for infections, I don't know. I do think they had remedies and a lot more sense than we sometimes do and over all lived healthier lives. But I don't think you should use false information as a reason not to do something and that is my beef.

I do agree with the poster up from you, and I think she made her point well. As Christians under the blood of Jesus we are no longer required to circumcise. I think the New Testament is pretty neutral on circumcision, just that you aren't supposed to do it as a way to win favor with God because it makes no difference to Him anymore. But that's not the same as saying "don't do it".
I'm currently reading a book about ancient circumcision written by a Jewish author. At most, ancient circumcision (before the time of Christ) was only the removal of the part of the foreskin that hangs over the edge of the glans. (there's your removal of skin) So it wouldn't really have affected the function of the foreskin. It was changed in the 2nd century AD because there were Jews who were stretching out their foreskins to give the appearance of not being Jewish. (to avoid taxes or play in Roman games) So Rabbis started removing the entire foreskin instead. There was a time (much later) that circumcision only involved a slit in the foreskin due to criticism and persecution over the practice.

Anyway... while that all may be irrelevant to some people, I find that very significant. The original commandment would not have affected sexual function. And with what I've learned about the function of the foreskin, I do find it hard to accept that God would command it's entire removal. So when people say that circumcision can't be that bad since God once commanded it, I think it's important to point this out.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #1528
Kätzchen's Avatar
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat

I'm currently reading a book about ancient circumcision written by a Jewish author. At most, ancient circumcision (before the time of Christ) was only the removal of the part of the foreskin that hangs over the edge of the glans. (there's your removal of skin) So it wouldn't really have affected the function of the foreskin. It was changed in the 2nd century AD because there were Jews who were stretching out their foreskins to give the appearance of not being Jewish. (to avoid taxes or play in Roman games) So Rabbis started removing the entire foreskin instead. There was a time (much later) that circumcision only involved a slit in the foreskin due to criticism and persecution over the practice.

Anyway... while that all may be irrelevant to some people, I find that very significant. The original commandment would not have affected sexual function. And with what I've learned about the function of the foreskin, I do find it hard to accept that God would command it's entire removal. So when people say that circumcision can't be that bad since God once commanded it, I think it's important to point this out.
Very interesting.
__________________
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #1529
jen_batten's Avatar
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,498
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

I think it's important to point out that a book by a Jewish author saying it was so doesn't make it so. You can't prove how it was done. Neither can I. I can say that it was more than a slit, based on the scripture I mentioned before where zipporha (sp??) circumscribed her son and cast the skin on the ground.

I also tend to think it was a significant procedure because there is another passage where the Israelites have told all the men to circumcised themselves....they went in three days later while the men were very sore and slew them.

However the procedure was done, it doesn't really matter. It was commanded of God. For Jews who do not accept Christ or the new testament, they believe very firmly in it and I think they should do it if they feel convicted about it. They are well within their rights to do so.

For non Jewish, it's up to them what they want to do....And the scripture listed in the "top ten reasons" still isn't accurate because it still does not say NOT to circumcise.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #1530
DesertRat's Avatar
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,547
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I think it's important to point out that a book by a Jewish author saying it was so doesn't make it so. You can't prove how it was done. Neither can I. I can say that it was more than a slit, based on the scripture I mentioned before where zipporha (sp??) circumscribed her son and cast the skin on the ground.

I also tend to think it was a significant procedure because there is another passage where the Israelites have told all the men to circumcised themselves....they went in three days later while the men were very sore and slew them.

However the procedure was done, it doesn't really matter. It was commanded of God. For Jews who do not accept Christ or the new testament, they believe very firmly in it and I think they should do it if they feel convicted about it. They are well within their rights to do so.

For non Jewish, it's up to them what they want to do....And the scripture listed in the "top ten reasons" still isn't accurate because it still does not say NOT to circumcise.
Considering the Bible itself is silent on exactly how the procedure is done, I'd say whatever evidence this author has (other historical records, perhaps?) should at least be considered as relevant to the conversation.

I bring this up, not because I want to argue with how Jews today choose to circumcise (that's their choice), but because I believe the Old Testament and I find it much easier to believe that the original commandment did not involve removing the entire foreskin. I just can't come to terms with the idea that God would command that, knowing it would affect sexual function. I believe that sex is not just for procreation, but also to bring a man and wife closer to together. And I just don't see how permanently diminishing sexual sensitivity (among other things) plays into that.

As far the scripture not saying not to... I think the NT is clear that circumcision was no longer required of Christians. When the gospel of Christ was first taught, it was only taught to the Jews. When the apostles starting teaching among the gentiles, the Christian Jews wanted new converts to practice circumcision as well. The apostles had to explain that it was no longer a requirement of God's people. I read an interesting article that said the reason the apostles weren't more clear about forbidding the practice among Christian Jews was because it was so important to them and didn't want to offend them and their traditions. They believed they would abandon the practice on their own in time... which they did. The practice was abandoned and for CENTURIES Christians have not practiced circumcision. Circumcision among Christians now is a very recent thing-- basically only since doctors starting pushing it.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.