Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #1541
jen_batten's Avatar
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,791
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

We are in America. It is the parent's choice no matter how you think it should be. We make tons of choices for our kids. It is our job as parents to provide for them in every way and do what we see as best for them.

Advertisement

jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #1542
kushie tushie's Avatar
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,884
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
We are in America. It is the parent's choice no matter how you think it should be. We make tons of choices for our kids. It is our job as parents to provide for them in every way and do what we see as best for them.
Then it should be a choice a parent can make for their girls too....

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!
__________________
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #1543
jen_batten's Avatar
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,791
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Well if you'd like to fight for that right, be my guest. I can't say it would bother me. I think people mostly like to use the argument for dramatic effect. I don't know much about female circing...I have heard there are two ways to do it. One compares to cutting off the entire penis, I wouldn't be in favor of that. The other one is not so dramatic...If you want to have that one done, go ahead.

FWIW, I do think it's kind of crazy to compare. Many people who circ use religious reasons as a basis--God never commanded circing of females. There are also some medical benefits to circing males (no matter how minor you think they are...), I don't know of any benefits for females. If you think it's best for girls though, go ahead and get the law changed. I wouldn't choose to circ them because I wouldn't think it in their best interest, but I'm not gonna hold you back from it if you feel it's something you need to do.

Last edited by jen_batten; 04-29-2013 at 07:59 AM.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #1544
kushie tushie's Avatar
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,884
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Well if you'd like to fight for that right, be my guest. I can't say it would bother me. I think people mostly like to use the argument for dramatic effect. I don't know much about female circing...I have heard there are two ways to do it. One compares to cutting off the entire penis, I wouldn't be in favor of that. The other one is not so dramatic...If you want to have that one done, go ahead.

FWIW, I do think it's kind of crazy to compare. Many people who circ use religious reasons as a basis--God never commanded circing of females. There are also some medical benefits to circing males (no matter how minor you think they are...), I don't know of any benefits for females. If you think it's best for girls though, go ahead and get the law changed. I wouldn't choose to circ them because I wouldn't think it in their best interest, but I'm not gonna hold you back from it if you feel it's something you need to do.
I don't but that's what I'm saying. With the argument you are using basically we can do anything we want to our child because we are their parents and make choices for them. I don't believe that.

Also Muslims all over the world circ their little girls. Is that not the same as Jews circing little boys in the name of religion?

If you don't like this thread or its message stop posting in it. Your just helping the cause by bumping it for us

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!
__________________
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #1545
jen_batten's Avatar
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,791
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

No, I did not say we can do whatever we want to our children because we are parents. But if you feel something is best, and it is legal (circing), then you have every right to do it. That's no where near saying we can do *anything* we want to our children.

If Muslims are circing legally and feel like that's what they should do, I have no issue with it.

I like this thread much better now that it's not one sided. It would be bumped up whether I did it or not, so I think I'll stick around.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #1546
jennayoung99's Avatar
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: alberta, canada
Posts: 2,887
My Mood:
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

With all this religion/bible debate no one has brought up freedom of religion for the child. If you circ in the name of jewdism, christianity, Islam or any other religion, whos to say when your child is older they do not wish to be part of any such religion. I know a lot of religous people believe their religion is "the only true religion" but that just isn't the case, and I don't feel its practices should be forced on a child that can not make that decision for themselves.
__________________
Jenna - wife to Harrison since 2007, and proud mama to miss Matilda Quinn(Sept-06-11) and mr Felix Byron (May-25-13)
jennayoung99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #1547
kushie tushie's Avatar
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,884
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennayoung99 View Post
With all this religion/bible debate no one has brought up freedom of religion for the child. If you circ in the name of jewdism, christianity, Islam or any other religion, whos to say when your child is older they do not wish to be part of any such religion. I know a lot of religous people believe their religion is "the only true religion" but that just isn't the case, and I don't feel its practices should be forced on a child that can not make that decision for themselves.
This has been argued before... I agree with you but the argument that came from the other side was that they will raise their child in that religion. So they will do what needs to be done to be lart of that religion.

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!
__________________
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #1548
kushie tushie's Avatar
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,884
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
No, I did not say we can do whatever we want to our children because we are parents. But if you feel something is best, and it is legal (circing), then you have every right to do it. That's no where near saying we can do *anything* we want to our children.

If Muslims are circing legally and feel like that's what they should do, I have no issue with it.

I like this thread much better now that it's not one sided. It would be bumped up whether I did it or not, so I think I'll stick around.
This thread had been to sided before. It didn't last long and really nobody besides OP can edit the OP. So new readers will keep reading the no circ info and hopefully decide to further research it before having a procedure done on their sons genitals that is irreversible. Period.

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!
__________________
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #1549
jen_batten's Avatar
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,791
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Maybe they will, maybe they won't. If its a long thread, I frequently read the op and then skip to the end. I would hate to think anyone would make the choice to circ or not based off a thread on a web forum, but sadly that is sometimes not the case.

If you'd like a "period" statement, how about this one? Circing or leaving intact is a choice that is left up to parents in the United states, and BOTH choices are valid. Period.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #1550
waterisntsomething's Avatar
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,618
My Mood:
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
No, I did not say we can do whatever we want to our children because we are parents. But if you feel something is best, and it is legal (circing), then you have every right to do it. That's no where near saying we can do *anything* we want to our children.

If Muslims are circing legally and feel like that's what they should do, I have no issue with it.

I like this thread much better now that it's not one sided. It would be bumped up whether I did it or not, so I think I'll stick around.
Are you basing your argument on the fact that it is legal to do so it must be ok? The law does not define right and wrong. There are countries where it is legal to beat your wife. There have been many flawed laws throughout the history of the world. Slavery was legal....did that make it ok because the men in charge said it was? I'm sure you know the history of why we commonly circumcise in America. It is based on outdated science and sexual repression. Maybe it's time to adjust the laws so that they favor the right of every individual to not have parts of their body cut off?
__________________
Hilary, loving Charles, mama to Charlie 1-21-12 on the way in December!
Sweet Bunny Upcycled woolies available on Etsy!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/sweetbunnywool
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.