Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2009, 07:46 AM   #161
seaggarwal
Registered Users
seller

Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Thanks so much- my twins are not circed for many reasons and you summed some of them up very well. My poor little guys were born at 29 weeks and already had to endure so many painful things I was adament that they not be circed. I saw so many little tiny ones that had already been through so much then being circed in the NICU- I cant believe that after all of the pain that had been inflicted that we did not have any choice about that a parent would agree to yet another painful procedure!

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 12:25 PM   #162
Karipooh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't if we're having a boy yet, but if we do I am telling my dr. NO! Thanks so much for this post. I will be showing this to dh if he disagrees with me.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #163
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd1 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ Dd2 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #164
MLB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're having a boy this time and made the decision NOT to circ but I still had unsettled fears but this really helped settle them. I feel MUCH better about it! Thanks, mama!
Old 03-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #165
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DH insisted that if we ever had a boy, he'd be circ'd (DH was not and was teased about it in school). When we got pregnant, I told him that before we made that decision final, he had to watch a video of an actual circumcision and that he had to be in the room with our son when the procedure was taking place.

One day he came into our bedroom ashen-faced and stuttered "Never....never would I do that to my own child." He'd watched a medical video and was traumatized by what he saw.

I would urge all mothers to insist their DH does the same if they are headstrong to cut.
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:01 PM   #166
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB View Post
We're having a boy this time and made the decision NOT to circ but I still had unsettled fears but this really helped settle them. I feel MUCH better about it! Thanks, mama!
That's great! You won't regret it!

Old 03-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #167
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmama View Post
My DH insisted that if we ever had a boy, he'd be circ'd (DH was not and was teased about it in school). When we got pregnant, I told him that before we made that decision final, he had to watch a video of an actual circumcision and that he had to be in the room with our son when the procedure was taking place.

One day he came into our bedroom ashen-faced and stuttered "Never....never would I do that to my own child." He'd watched a medical video and was traumatized by what he saw.

I would urge all mothers to insist their DH does the same if they are headstrong to cut.
I have never actually made it all the way through a circ video. The reason I did not circ my sons was just a still photo of it being done and that was enough to make me sick.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #168
Tangy
Banned
seller

My Mood:

To begin with.. this is all MY OPINION. I am entitled to this. There is no finger pointing or jabs.

Wow, I started reading this thread at the beginning.. it infuriated me, really, people trying to justify doing something like this to their child. I did not grab the quote, but someone laughed at the fact of someone who had not experienced circumcising their child trying to say it was a bad thing, when they didn't even REALLY know.

I have four sons. My first two are circ'd, the second two are not. I have NO excuses for circ'ing my oldest two except I did not know, nor did I care, apparently. They were born in 96 and 97 and it was just the norm. I was 17 and 18, and I trusted what others told me before doing the research myself. I wish I had been smarter. I wish I knew to care enough to research circumcision in its entirety.

I did this.. after the birth of my second child and was completely devastated at what I had done to my children. I made decisions for them that were selfish. How could I have known they would decide this for themselves? How was it right to mutilate their most private of places, with no.. remorse?

Oh, I have remorse now. I'm filled with it.

My last two pregnancies were different. I was older, smarter, and I just cared more. I cared enough to research anything possible that might happen to my child. Not circing my babies was an EASY decision for me. I truly, in my heart, feel like someday they will silently thank me for this. I know I did the little two right and would not change it for the world.

My partner is pro-circ. He's pro-circ because he has never done the research. He has never cared enough to make sure he was doing the best by his kids. He just worried about how they would look. He never thought about the care.. or the risks, he only cared about what sits in front of your face.

There was no way he was winning this battle. No possible way.

What's most important here.. is JUST DO THE RESEARCH. Look at the pros and cons. Look at the risks and look at the advantages. Look at both extremes, because they do exist. If you're willing to make your son go through a circumcision, watch one on the internet first and watch what your baby will go through so you don't have to look at a funny looking penis.

There are very, very few health or medical reasons as to why babies need to be circumcised and there are most often, alternative ways to deal with those issues. I have a friend whose sons foreskin is all on the top of his penis and none on the bottom. When he gets older (he is EIGHT and still intact) and/or sexually active, this will need to be fixed. Options.. reconstructive surgery or circumcision.

What p!sses me off more than anything is people deciding or actually circing because its the norm. People who have never taken the time to research or look... or WONDER what they're doing to their sons. Cosmetic reasons are crap.

It's not our place to decide to alter our sons looks. We do not have that right. Just because we are their parents does NOT mean we have the right to intentionally hurt them or take something so precious away.

I am so thankful that insurance companies have started to not cover circumcision. This is huge for a lot of babies out there. No longer are they being circ'd because its the norm and because hell, its free!!! Many babies are leaving hospitals with their foreskins.. their full selves.. and I LOVE IT.

No one could ever, ever convince me that their decision to circumcise was right. It's always wrong, no matter how they try to justify it in their heads.
Tangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #169
TieNappyQueen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

GREAT post Tangy, you are a wonderful testement to so many mothers out there. It is sick and shameful what dr.s get away with, it is NOT informed consent by ANY strech of the imagianation!

The size and responses in this thread are inspiring!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:06 PM   #170
TieNappyQueen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTheyssen View Post
Hello! I am a NICU nurse and Have read some of the posts on here. I am not here to bash anyone. I just wanted to let you know that I have assisted in many circs ( they occusr before the bsby will go home) and our docs use a numbing cream first, then a small shot that completely numbs the area, as well as the sugar water solution to suck on with paci. In all honesty 99% of the babies fall asleep on the board and don't cry at all. I know that sounds crazy, but it's true. The baby can go to mom afterward we just have a 1 hour and 2 hour check to make sure it is healing properly. We also give tylenol every 4-6 hours for 24 hours. The circs don't seem to bother the babies at all. If I have a boy I will have him circed, but If a paren't on my unit chooses not to I will NEVER pressure them to. It is a personal choice and The only thing I do is ask if they want one or not. If they do they sign a form stating they want one, and if they don't than that is that. No pressure at all. Anyway, just thought I would give a different perspective. I honor all opinions here :-)
WOW
All of those " pain relievers" are not even approved for the procedure which is so wrong and not told to parents.
Since you are a nurse you should be aware of what shock is and how it affects the body. Not pretty.
1-2 hours to check on healing? Really? I would be more concerned with the weeks worth of urine and feces sitting on an open wound and mucous membrane. ANYWHERE else on the body this would be condsidered horrorendous and dangerous but on a PERFECTLY normal and healthy boy it is ok? Will never make sense to me.
Yeah even when I had my wisdom teeth taken out tylonal was a joke.