Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-23-2009, 06:24 PM   #201
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearryandbellasmama View Post
First of all, thank you for making this post. Both my DH and myself are from other countries, where being intact is the norm. I knew about circing being a Christian and reading the OT. But to be perfectly honest, I never even knew it was routinely performed until I became pregnant with DS. And I was *horrified* to say the least. Growing up in in a background where this does not happen, well my reaction was warranted (not trying to offend anyone) Anyway, as far as needing to get it done later in life, well, no man in my family nor DH's has ever had ANY problems and yes, we would probably know about it.
I honestly still do not comprehend this practice. And outside of religious reasons, I am still appalled by this. Again, no offense to anyone. I do not understand a culture's obsession with changing (to put it mildly) an infant's genitalia. And don't get me started on FGM! Needless to say, I've become an intactivist after having DS.
Thanks for your kind words. I used to think that circumcision was normal and necessary. Then one day it just popped in my head that cutting off a baby's genitals is really weird. It helped that I was an anthropology major so I was used to looking at a culture from the outside. Seen from that angle, what many here think is normal and necessary is just another social ritual, but like all rituals involving the genitals, has a strong staying power ("If we do it to our genitals, it must be good and important.")

Advertisement

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd1 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ Dd2 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:25 PM   #202
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and your HB breech story was awesome! Way to go!

Old 03-23-2009, 06:39 PM   #203
beautiful8
Registered Users
Formerly: beautiful7
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjess View Post
we have circd all three our boys and dont regret it. as for the pain thing all three of mine slept through the entire process and never acted like it bothered them once. would do it again for cleanliness sake. i've changed enough dipes on uncirc boys to know that its NOT for me !
Thats the choice you have decided to make, but your making an assumption that intact penises aren't clean....where is your research to back that up? and or experience?? I have 2 intact boys and 2 circ'ed boys, and my circed boys have had far more problems w/ pain and other issues than my 2 intact ones do.
beautiful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #204
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
First, what appears to be sleep in newborns being circumcised is passing out from the intense pain. Do you really think it possible to sleep through part of your genitals being removed? Would you be able to sleep through it?

Second, there is nothing to cleaning the penis of an intact boy - you just wipe off the outside like a finger. You do not pull it back ever. A circumcised baby has to be carefully cleaned b/c poop can collect in the wound; then vaseline applied. This cannot possibly be easier than just wiping off the outside of my sons' penises. If you were manipulating their foreskins, you were hurting them.

Maybe what you meant is that you found the appearance odd, if you never saw an intact penis before. That is a normal reaction, but entirely irrelevant. Your aesthetic preferences do not need to be permanently imposed on anyone else's body.
a hundred times, that. you have such a way with words

from the accounts I've read, docs and nurses often tell the parents that they did fine, and slept through it, even if that wasn't the case. and rarely do the parents ever watch the procedure to know firsthand. I think if they had to witness that, they wouldn't go through with it.

anyways, well said
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:48 PM   #205
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsis View Post
a hundred times, that. you have such a way with words

from the accounts I've read, docs and nurses often tell the parents that they did fine, and slept through it, even if that wasn't the case. and rarely do the parents ever watch the procedure to know firsthand. I think if they had to witness that, they wouldn't go through with it.

anyways, well said
Thank you very much. I just love that highfive smilie!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #206
pearryandbellasmama
Registered Users
Formerly: pearrysmama
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
Oh, and your HB breech story was awesome! Way to go!
Aww, thanks mama.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #207
Ariana'sClothesline
Registered Users
Formerly: isfahel
seller

Wow, that's interesting... My best friend just had a boy and circ'ed him, despite my trying and trying to convince her otherwise. She also doesn't enjoy sex and is unable to get to O with her husband, who is circed.... That makes me soooo sad that she used the excuse, dad is so son should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raelynn View Post
Actually it'd be the opposite. That's like saying that touching something wouldn't feel as good if your hands weren't covered in callouses. The exposed glans becomes rough and calloused - called keratinization.

My DH started restoring his foreskin a year ago and has gained about an inch of movable skin. Sex is soooooooooo much better for both of us. We no longer need lubricant, I am NEVER sore afterwards, and he says the sensation is absolutely unbelievable - unlike anything he would have imagined. You can see a visible line where the keratinization has gone away now that he has some coverage.

I've been with intact men and there is a HUGE difference in how good in feels for the woman. Like multiple-O versus no Os at all.
www.arianasclothesline.com
Ariana'sClothesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #208
beautiful8
Registered Users
Formerly: beautiful7
seller

My Mood:

ooh I need to send my dh over to read this part of the thread thanks raelynn for posting that
beautiful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #209
Ariana'sClothesline
Registered Users
Formerly: isfahel
seller

Tylenol has been proven to more than double the chance of your child developing asthma...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTheyssen View Post
Hello! I am a NICU nurse and Have read some of the posts on here. I am not here to bash anyone. I just wanted to let you know that I have assisted in many circs ( they occusr before the bsby will go home) and our docs use a numbing cream first, then a small shot that completely numbs the area, as well as the sugar water solution to suck on with paci. In all honesty 99% of the babies fall asleep on the board and don't cry at all. I know that sounds crazy, but it's true. The baby can go to mom afterward we just have a 1 hour and 2 hour check to make sure it is healing properly. We also give tylenol every 4-6 hours for 24 hours. The circs don't seem to bother the babies at all. If I have a boy I will have him circed, but If a paren't on my unit chooses not to I will NEVER pressure them to. It is a personal choice and The only thing I do is ask if they want one or not. If they do they sign a form stating they want one, and if they don't than that is that. No pressure at all. Anyway, just thought I would give a different perspective. I honor all opinions here :-)
www.arianasclothesline.com
Ariana'sClothesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #210
Chey
Banned

My Mood:

My husband wasn't a teen or adolescent. He was a full grown adult, in his 20's who had had sexual relations prior to being circ'd. Clearly, to me, the difference between having intercourse with a circ'd penis and an intact one isn't so much less pleasurable or he probably would not have wanted to have our son(s) circ'd. He has said to me many times he prefers being circ'd, regardless of the process getting there being not a fun one.

Judging from my husbands reactions to general anesthetic (3 day hospital stay) I am POSITIVE he would have avoided it unless it was necessary. The process of going through it as an adult was traumatic, but he obviously feels that the end result of being circ'd is better and as an ADULT who has been both ways I believe he is educated enough on the subject and entitled to decide and to make the decision for our sons. If he thought the end result was worse than before then he probably wouldn't have requested that our sons have it done.

Honestly I am very supportive of those who choose not to circ, I fully well know the reasons NOT to do it. I know a non circ'd penis is not unhealthy or dirty or unsanitary. I've read, I've learned and still believe that my husband who as an adult has been on both sides, has far more authority to make the decision than I do. I am not subservient to him, I am not old fashioned, I do not walk behind him down the street. Out of 15 male grandchildren on DH's side of the family ours are the ONLY ones who were circ'd. No one in our family criticized our choice to circ, even though they chose against it. I also completely understand why many parents choose to delay Vaxing, but personally I choose to Vax on schedule. It's just what we feel is best for our children. I'm also pro-choice, failure at BFing, baby wearing, co-sleeping, semi-crunchy, non judgmental mama, who desperately hopes she can successfully BF the new baby when he arrives. I'm not irrational, and I think just as we can respect those who choose to do things differently. No one way is necessarily the "right way". The goal is to raise healthy children to be healthy productive adults. Vaxed or non vaxed, circ'd or non circ'd, Breast fed or formula fed. We all make the choices that WE feel are best for our children. We all have the same ultimate goal in mind.

Anyway. I respect everyone opinions and choices, please respect ours too but this is a battle that will be fought forever. I've said my part. I will still circ my baby. It is what we've decided even though we have all the information. Thanks
Chey is offline   Reply With Quote