Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-24-2009, 11:11 PM   #331
Hopper Graphics
Registered Users
Formerly:PurlyQ
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Thanks for posting this awesome thread!

Advertisement

Hopper Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:59 AM   #332
Amaggiepie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have bee anti-circ since I saw my little cousin's circ'ed penis just after the procedure was done. I felt so bad for him and swore I would never do that to my son. My DH is not circ'ed and is very anti-circ so I'm glad I won't have to fight that fight with him.
Amaggiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:24 AM   #333
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M View Post
Circumcision is a personal choice, and while everyone is entitled to their opinion and to state facts supporting their opinion (as you have) I do have to disagree with you on one point.

Galations 5:6 does not say "Don't circumcise your children." It is talking about how people were living by the law but the law is not sufficient to cover our sins.

While I respect your position on circumcision, it REALLY bothers me when versers are taken out of context, simply to "proove" a point that someone wants to make. That context of the verse can be seen if you read it starting at vs 1 and read through verse 6.
Gal 5:1-6 KJV

1Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

2Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.

3For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.

4Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

5For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

6For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

The bigger picture, is talking about how Chris is needed for salvation and trying to follow the law is pretty much inefectual without Christ.

So again, while I respect your view on circumcision... please keep verses in context.

God bless,
Michelle
The whole context really makes the point, as well as the historical context. The early Christians often were Jews and as such, were circumcised. Differentiating itself from Judaism was difficult at first, especially when many followers tried to say that Jewish customs also had to be followed. This verse directly addresses that - that one's circumcision status has nothing to do with being a Christian - that it is faith. This verse is often quoted as a rebuttal to those Christians who say "The Bible says you have to be circumcised." Well, actually, the Old Testament does, but then the New Testament says that circumcision was the old covenant, but Jesus' sacrifice is the new covenant, and circumcision has nothing to do with it. It is important to discuss this b/c religious reasons are important to some people.

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd1 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ Dd2 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:01 AM   #334
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
The whole context really makes the point, as well as the historical context. The early Christians often were Jews and as such, were circumcised. Differentiating itself from Judaism was difficult at first, especially when many followers tried to say that Jewish customs also had to be followed. This verse directly addresses that - that one's circumcision status has nothing to do with being a Christian - that it is faith. This verse is often quoted as a rebuttal to those Christians who say "The Bible says you have to be circumcised." Well, actually, the Old Testament does, but then the New Testament says that circumcision was the old covenant, but Jesus' sacrifice is the new covenant, and circumcision has nothing to do with it. It is important to discuss this b/c religious reasons are important to some people.
I completely agree with you, in THAT context you are correct. I guess seeing the verse by itself, and you saying "The Bible says NOT to do it" kindof rubbed me the wrong way. Becasue just as not being circumcised has nothing to do with your salvation, BEING circumcised has nothing to do with salvation either.

But, in the context above, you are correct.

Thank you for explaining your point more. And thank you for not being offended at me pointing out something that bothered me.

But I'm sure that as a Christian (for you seem to be from this post) that you have heard people take one single verse out of context, and twist it to fit what they WANT to believe, instead of looking at what the verse ACTUALLY means.

God bless,
Michelle

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #335
panda13
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for this thread. I watched the video on the nocirc.org website last night with my DH. We don't know yet if this baby will be a boy or girl (we'll find out in January). DH says we don't have to make the decision until we know, but I'm definitely leaning towards not circ-ing. DH is circumcised, and has had no problems with it (his words), and does not remember the circumcision or the pain. I asked him though to give me a good reason to circumcise, and he couldn't really think of any. I think he's actually on the same side as me on this issue, but he really likes to play devil's advocate. I'm glad he gave me his opinion though - he really has no problems with the fact that he's circumcised. He'll never know if he's "less sensitive" and thankfully, his circumcision had no complications.

I'm glad someone brought up the human rights issue of girls being circumcised in Africa. I'm starting to see male circumcision as a human rights issue as well. I do think that female circumcision has more physical complications than male circumcision (especially when performed at a later age - which it sounds like it usually is), but I don't believe that makes male circumcision any less of a human rights issue.

The thing that sealed it for me was actually watching the circumcision performed (crying baby or not, it looks pretty gruesome). DH wanted to kick the nurse that gave DD her heel prick, and I had to remind him of that. What would he want to do to a doctor who circumcises our (potential) son?

I do have a question - since I've only seen a circumcised penis (forgive me for being naive). Where is the foreskin attached? I understand that at a young age it's completely attached, but when it does finally retract, is it attached at the base of the penis? Or closer to the glans? Sorry, I know it's a weird question, but I just don't know the answer.

I am debating now if I want to send the nocirc website to my brother. His wife is pregnant, due around the same time, and they are having a boy. The issue is that she has a son from a former relationship (he is circumcised), and apparently the bio dad yelled at her for having him circumcised (bio dad was not present during birth), telling her she's ruined him for life because he won't have any sensitivity down there. Things with the bio dad are NOT good right now, and I really don't want to bring anything up that's potentially going to cause heated arguments with my brother and his wife. I'm thinking of just emailing it to him and not her, and he can decide if it's worth bringing up right now.

I talked to my mom about all of this today, and her first question was "what about infections?" It's obvious that people are just really misinformed, and who can blame them? If doctors used to tell parents that un-circumcised boys were more likely to get infections, why would they have reason not to believe them? I told her that it was false information, and that the AMA and AAP do not believe circumcision is in any way medically necessary. I think this was all new information for her.

Thanks again for this thread!
Old 11-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #336
panda13
Registered Users
seller

I found this an interesting read:

http://www.aap.org/publiced/BR_Circumcision.htm

The AAP does not recommend that all infant boys be circumcised. However, they do list some medical benefits of circumcision, including less risk of UTI's and foreskin infection. So I guess my mom does have a reason for asking about infections. However, in the last part of the statement, under "Reasons parents may choose not to circumcise," one of the reasons they list is "Boys can be taught proper hygiene that can lower their chances of getting infections, cancer of the penis, and STIs."

So again, it just comes down to proper education and information.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:41 PM   #337
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi Amanda,

I am glad that this is going to be easy for you and your dh. Once you start thinking, it really is an easy non-decision.

The foreskin is attached about 1/3 to 1/2 the way down from the tip in an adult. But it is all one continuous piece. You really have to see a picture to understand. But once you see the newborn penis, and realize it is almost ALL foreskin, you see how horrible circumcision is. As for infections, girls get way more infections than boys, and yet they just give us creams, and we are fine. Boys can use the same creams and medicines, too. It is another excuse to hide the purely cultural motivation.

You can find several animated videos on YouTube of this if you look. WARNING: THIS IS AN ANIMATION OF MALE GENITALS. DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO SEE COMPUTER-ANIMATED MALE GENITALS. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8voOaGouDM

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd1 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ Dd2 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son

Last edited by Galatea; 11-25-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #338
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda13 View Post
I found this an interesting read:

http://www.aap.org/publiced/BR_Circumcision.htm

The AAP does not recommend that all infant boys be circumcised. However, they do list some medical benefits of circumcision, including less risk of UTI's and foreskin infection. So I guess my mom does have a reason for asking about infections. However, in the last part of the statement, under "Reasons parents may choose not to circumcise," one of the reasons they list is "Boys can be taught proper hygiene that can lower their chances of getting infections, cancer of the penis, and STIs."

So again, it just comes down to proper education and information.

I love this site, it is like the equivalent to the AAP but Canada's version. It clearly shows that you face many, many more risks and complications from being circumcised than you do if you are not. And don't forget a UTI can be treated by antbx, no need to go and do a surgery.

http://www.cps.ca/caringforkids/preg...rcumcision.htm

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:31 PM   #339
panda13
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
Hi Amanda,

I am glad that this is going to be easy for you and your dh. Once you start thinking, it really is an easy non-decision.

The foreskin is attached about 1/3 to 1/2 the way down from the tip in an adult. But it is all one continuous piece. You really have to see a picture to understand. But once you see the newborn penis, and realize it is almost ALL foreskin, you see how horrible circumcision is. As for infections, girls get way more infections than boys, and yet they just give us creams, and we are fine. Boys can use the same creams and medicines, too. It is another excuse to hide the purely cultural motivation.

You can find several animated videos on YouTube of this if you look. WARNING: THIS IS AN ANIMATION OF MALE GENITALS. DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO SEE COMPUTER-ANIMATED MALE GENITALS. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8voOaGouDM
Thanks for the info and the link. I definitely did not want to go searching around Google for pictures of penises!
Old 11-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #340
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it is so sad all the boys and men that had a sensitive functioning part of their penis cut off with thousands of nerve endings so that they will never experience what sex should really feel like. Women too miss out because the forsekin provides a gentle gliding action and lubrication. When men have their foreskin they don't need to have rough sex. We wouldn't even need to sell as much lube if males were left intact. We probably wouldn't have as much issues with ED. A part that is supposed to be covered like an eyeball to keep it moist gets dried out, calloused and karentized. Over half the boys in this country get circumcized and men insist their sons get circumcized because they were. This is a humans right issues. Most people don't realize what is lost through circumcism. People don't mean harm when they decide to circumcize but it is important to get awareness on the issue out there so we learn from our mistakes and protect the future.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 11-30-2009 at 02:28 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote