Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #371
mom2LandJ
Registered Users
seller

Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
intactivist

I LOVE THIS!!!

Advertisement

mom2LandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #372
XtraOrdinary
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2LandJ View Post
I LOVE THIS!!!
You know that went right over my head! I was almost going to ask her what that meant! LOL!!!!
Old 12-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #373
Everywhere
Registered Users

Quote:
I LOVE THIS!!!
haha, me too! Too funny!
Everywhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #374
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everywhere View Post
I used to work in a nursing home after I graduated high school and I'm going to go ahead and share my opinion on this.

*warning, very graphic information discussed*

Ok, first of all, all penises have to be washed. Circed or not, they all need to be washed. Just like women have to wash themselves in that area (women actually have tons more smegma than men make)

Now, this will depend on how tight of a circ a man has, but most circed men are not completely devoid of all foreskin. My husband has a pretty tight circ (I'm basing this on the fact that when he has an erection, his skin "pulls up" skin that is normally not on his penis onto the shaft) But even with him, when flacid there is a small "overlap" of skin surrounding the head. He has to pull back this flap of skin and wash/rinse it in the shower.

Now, the thing with older men. When men get older, the skin in that area gets REALLY loose and saggy, but the tissue making up the penis actually gets smaller. So even men who are circed have all this skin that is "sagging" around their penis. In nursing home populations, it is actually difficult to tell if a man is circed or not, for this reason.
Now, some circed men you can tell. Their sagginess does not reach the tip of their penis, so the tip of the head is exposed a little bit. However, this can actually pose a big problem.
Nursing home people are often in "diapers". I'm very sorry if this information grosses you out, but when an elderly male defecates in his diaper, it usually reaches up beyond his groin. When a man is not circed, or when the skin is loose enough to cover the head, it makes cleaning him up fairly easy...you wipe the flat "tube" of skin on the outside, and nothing gets on the "inside".
However, if the head is exposed, the feces gets onto the head and into the folds of skin surrounding the head. This not only makes cleaning up difficult, but older men have fairly large urethral openings, and the feces can actually travel up the opening and cause infection.
I always HATED cleaning up the circed/glans exposed men. I was only 18 at the time, and knew nothing about babies and stuff, but I already had my mind made up back then that I wouldn't circ for this reason alone.
The non-circed men were just SO much easier to clean up.

Yes, with a circed older man, there may be *less* skin to pull back, but there is probably still skin to pull back because of the sagging issue. And I'm sorry, but simply pulling back the foreskin doesn't take a whole lot of dexterity. It's not like you're going in there with Q-tips or precision maneuvering.

I'm really sorry if I was too "detailed" for you. But I ended up working in various nursing homes for over 5 years doing cares on elderly patients, and I have to totally disagree with what you have heard. As far as UTI's, I have seen both circed and not circed men get them EQUALLY. Elderly people are GOING to get UTI's. It just happens in that age group. And in my experience, cleaning up diapers in intact adults is so much easier than circed ones, especially since you don't have to manipulate anything to clean them for diaper changes (like you would with circed) since normally they are Alzheimer/dementia and they are resisting your cares and wiping around in their glans really pisses them off.
YES, when you give non-circed guys baths, you have to pull back the skin to rinse under. But this takes only seconds, and they are usually sitting in a secure bath chair and they can't really fight your cares.

Again, sorry to go so in depth. But like I said, my experience with nursing home men was actually the first reason I ever decided not to circ a long time before ever having kids.
I was a CNA for a few years working in both nursing homes with completely helpless elderly, in hospice, and in assisted living (high functioning). I completely agree! And I noticed my coworkers spent more time 'making sure' the intact men were clean as oppossed to circed men - something that is actually a potential problem for the circed men!

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #375
Everywhere
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinMartin View Post
I was a CNA for a few years working in both nursing homes with completely helpless elderly, in hospice, and in assisted living (high functioning). I completely agree! And I noticed my coworkers spent more time 'making sure' the intact men were clean as oppossed to circed men - something that is actually a potential problem for the circed men!
This couldn't be more true. Everyone knows to pull back and rinse underneath for the "fully sheathed" guys. But I can't tell you the number of times I would come back to work after a few days off, and go to bath my normal resident in the morning...and I guess because the guy was circed, they (the person who had my residents on my days off) didn't bother to pull back and clean in the folds behind the glans on the circed ones. And um....yuck. That's all I'm going to say about what I found in there.

Last edited by Everywhere; 12-03-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #376
Everywhere
Registered Users

Quote:
Thank you. That was fascinating. In all my years as an intactivist, I never heard this, but it makes sense. Exactly the same as in cleaning baby boys - the foreskin actually makes it easier.

you know, after I had my son, I did realize that he was a lot easier to clean up than my circed nephew (who I babysat) and it made me remember all about the nursing home guys so long ago. So yea, I have made that correlation myself as well.
You know, sometimes I think that nature REALLY must know what it's doing.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:22 AM   #377
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I LOVE THIS!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraOrdinary View Post
You know that went right over my head! I was almost going to ask her what that meant! LOL!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everywhere View Post
haha, me too! Too funny!
Well, it is not my word. But it is a good one! Especially rhyming it with lactivist - I'm a lactivist intactivist!

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd1 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ Dd2 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:02 AM   #378
tsk_mum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DH & I both are anti-circ!
tsk_mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:28 AM   #379
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Well, it is not my word. But it is a good one! Especially rhyming it with lactivist - I'm a lactivist intactivist!
Intactilactivist

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:34 AM   #380
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wanted to throw out there while we are talking about retracting grown men to clean them, you DO NOT retract a baby! It's fused on and you can do damage if you try!

I noticed new faces and thought I should mention it!