Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #401
Everywhere
Registered Users

Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat899 View Post
Tylenol is in no way sufficent to ease the pain of a circ.
Absolutely. We have no proof that nsaids work in neonates or babies (many medications, cold meds, etc that work for adults, for unknown reasons have no efficacy for babies)
What we do have proof of, is that the liver of a newborn baby is immature and has difficulty processing drugs like tylenol. One dose of tylenol has been shown to increase jaundice in newborns because of the strain on the liver. Most places don't allow a newborn to get more than 1 dose of tylenol for this reason. So even if it did help the pain, you can't give enough doses to get through the entire healing period.

Advertisement

Last edited by Everywhere; 12-05-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Everywhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #402
panda13
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
#4 is arguable
#5 is an opinion
#7 depends on the practitioner
#8 would be illegal and is an unfounded, bogus claim
#9 was not intended for gospel interpretation
#10 is untrue. You can have a child's large ears "pinned" and claim that for pshycological reasons that you are having it done to protect your child.

Please excuse me if I have made a mess of your quote. I am not sure if I specifically addressed individual points properly, so I color coded my responses to reply in dark red. This is really irritating, so I am not going to post in any more of this thread. I really dislike it when people manipulate facts and use unrealistic comparisons to get their points across. To an uneducated person, it could mean the difference between making an informed decision or a biased decision with a child's health in mind. When I originally posted, it was in response to the threads here as a whole, not to target anyone and get in an argument. My point is that circumcision is a personal choice and people should not be judged for their choices they make in the best interest of their children. Period. I don't have all day to debate and I'm just done with this.
I, for one, am glad that you shared yours (and your husband's) experience. I do think if I were in your situation, and was relatively certain that my son would have to have a circumcision eventually, then I might weigh the pros and cons of circumcision a little differently. I'm sorry that you felt that people were being rude and judgmental. I think it's a difficult conversation to have (especially online!), and it's especially difficult when there are those who believe circumcision is a human rights issue. I'm glad the OP brought up the points that she did - it's led me to do my own research and become more informed. I'm also glad that there are those, like you, who have valid reasons for your opinion and choices that you and your family made. I think we're all becoming more educated, and I believe that we do need to look at all sides of the issue. So thank you, and thanks to all the other pp's who have brought their own experiences/arguments/research to the table.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #403
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't choose to have my daughter circumcised (and for the sake of argument, we won't talk about radical female circumcision, we'll just say it's the outer labia only), even if it meant less chance of STDs or infections, and certainly not for aesthetic purposes. Would you? I feel that's a more apples to apples comparison than ear peircing to male circumcision.

I also don't understand why female circumcision (in ANY form) is considered genital mutilation, while male circumcision is not. It's all genital mutilation in my eyes.

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #404
Catalytic
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraOrdinary View Post
I compare the two for the choice argument. Boys should choose so shouldnt girls also choose?
Actually, your argument has merit in my eyes, although I agree with a PP that they are nowhere near comparable. (IE, a girl isn't going to lose anything from an ear piercing, a boy loses a part of his body, sensitivity, etc)

But, one of my pet peeves is to see a thread about piercing a baby's ears on a forum where circ has been previously discussed, and the same people who are adamant about circ'ing their sons are equally adamant that their daughters should have a choice about whether their ears are pierced. Insert a HUGE eyeroll here.
Catalytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #405
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
That just makes me want to cry. Tylenol is in no way sufficent to ease the pain of a circ.
I agree. I wouldn't want to have just tylenol during an episiotomy(for comparison's sake), or a sugar paci to suck on, that's for sure.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:19 PM   #406
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalytic View Post
Actually, your argument has merit in my eyes, although I agree with a PP that they are nowhere near comparable. (IE, a girl isn't going to lose anything from an ear piercing, a boy loses a part of his body, sensitivity, etc)

But, one of my pet peeves is to see a thread about piercing a baby's ears on a forum where circ has been previously discussed, and the same people who are adamant about circ'ing their sons are equally adamant that their daughters should have a choice about whether their ears are pierced. Insert a HUGE eyeroll here.
Yes, I am opposed to both personally, though I feel circ is much worse b/c of its' permanence and the loss of a functioning body part, more pain, etc. But I agree, it's annoying when people don't see the connection. I know of one person on Cafemom for example, who is vehemently opposed to ear piercing, but very pro-circ, and I just don't get that. I also don't really get those who are pro-life and all worried about the rights of the unborn, but then go ahead and circ after birth....that's a pretty huge violation of rights IMO.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:38 PM   #407
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraOrdinary View Post
I compare the two for the choice argument. Boys should choose so shouldnt girls also choose?
I know where you're coming from. I feel the same in that a child should have the say-so in what is done to their body when it comes to aesthetic procedures.

Quote:
Tylenol is in no way sufficent to ease the pain of a circ.
Tylenol doesn't even take away all the pain when I'm having PMS cramps. I definitely do not want that to be the sole pain relief when it comes to ripping off a piece of my genitals

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:37 AM   #408
MyFourStars
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by THBVsMama View Post
I know where you're coming from. I feel the same in that a child should have the say-so in what is done to their body when it comes to aesthetic procedures.

Tylenol doesn't even take away all the pain when I'm having PMS cramps. I definitely do not want that to be the sole pain relief when it comes to ripping off a piece of my genitals
Between that and comparing it to even the tiniest of episiotomies, I can't believe we as a society used to just electively do this to our babies without thinking about it.

My Twilight FanFic-Finding Rose *Updated Chapter 13!*
MyFourStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #409
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFourStars View Post
Between that and comparing it to even the tiniest of episiotomies, I can't believe we as a society used to just electively do this to our babies without thinking about it.
I know, Mama I'm just so glad that so many more parents are taking the time to educate themselves before agreeing to this procedure.

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #410
XtraOrdinary
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by THBVsMama View Post
I know, Mama I'm just so glad that so many more parents are taking the time to educate themselves before agreeing to this procedure.
I didnt know you were expecting! Congrats!