Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #411
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraOrdinary View Post
I didnt know you were expecting! Congrats!
Thank you, Mama

Advertisement

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:48 AM   #412
jnno
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by THBVsMama View Post
I'm just so glad that so many more parents are taking the time to educate themselves before agreeing to this procedure.

I am so thankful that DD ended up being a girl. When we were interviewing her potential pediatrician, and she asked if we wanted the baby circumcised if it was a boy (she was a surprise), our exact words were, "Oh, of course!". It never, ever, ever occured to us to question it, at all. It's just what you did if you had a boy.

Thank GOD, truly, that I found this thread before DS was born. My first reaction wasn't immediately to not circumcise, it was actually surprise that it was such a big topic, but it DID cause me to research the topic on my own. After tons of reading and research (I even had to look up pictures of intact males online, because I had absolutely no idea what an intact penis looked like ), I realized that I wasn't comfortable with the procedure. DH still wanted the circumcision, but only because he was, and it's all he knew. He didn't feel strongly about it, but was just more comfortable with it. I didn't fight or downplay his views, just told him if he wanted it done, he needed to have actually researched all sides and be able to present an actual reason why, not just the fact that he was. AND I told him we decided to do it, it wasn't going to happen until the baby was at least a week old, so that we would have a bit of time to clearly think about it, and get used to an intact penis.

A few days before DS turned one month, the cut-off date for having the procedure done, DH said he still wouldn't mind having it done. He'd actually done the research, watched videos, etc. I just burst into tears. He took one look at me and said that I obviously felt much stronger about it than he did, so we wouldn't do it. He said he really didn't have strong feelings either way.

He isn't bothered at all by DS being intact, and he agrees that he can't come up with a reason to circ that can't be solved/prevented by other means. His only hangup is still that he is, but when I asked him if his dad was and he couldn't answer, he got how silly it would be to circ solely for that reason. I also reminded him that we aren't piercing DD's ears until she wants them done, and understands what the procedure entails, and that this is on a much bigger level. It's just really stretching outside his own comfort zone (as silly as that comfort zone might seem, it's still valid to him, and therefore, to me, so I've tried my best to be very respectful and matter of fact about the whole thing, even knowing that I couldn't consent to circ'ing DS), and I think with time, he'll probably end up having stronger feelings about the whole thing.

DD has seen both DH and DS, and has said, "Look! Daddy has a penis, and DS has a penis, too!" but didn't notice anything different, which I think was a bit eye-opening to DH.

...WOW. That got really long (sorry) and doesn't really have a point (sorry again) other than THANK YOU ALL for putting this information out there. I would never, ever make a blind decision based on something I read on a forum, but this thread was definitely the catalyst into me realizing there was a choice and doing my own research. Heck, even if I'd decided that I was still going to circumcise, I would at least have had a clear, detailed understanding of the procedure and possible side-effects, and would have been making an informed, rather than blind, decision.
jnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #413
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I have a question.

For those who are vehemently opposed to circs, are you also opposed to ear piercings of babies and little girls?
Yes, but this is apples and bananas. (IMO) I would also be opposed to breast implants, or nose jobs on kids too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DommysMommy View Post
So if you knew that your daughter might have problems with her ovaries or the like, should you get her a hysterectomy just to be safe? Doubtful.
ITA, we have a history of breast cancer but no one lopped them off when I was born.

Circing infants boils down to a puritanical idea of sex and masturbation. They cover it up in the name of cleanliness all they want, but take a look at circs in biblical time, they just cut the tip, not a full circ. It was the way to keep the girls out of the "club" because they don't have foreskin.

Last edited by Kriket; 12-07-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Kriket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #414
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnno View Post
I also reminded him that we aren't piercing DD's ears until she wants them done, and understands what the procedure entails, and that this is on a much bigger level.
DH used to be "pro-circ". Not in the "he's going to have it done OR ELSE" sense, but in the "well I am, so I think he should be, too," kind of thing. On the same note he has always been adamantly against piercing a girls' ears before she able to express her desire to have them done. That was my moment to take control and say "Why should our daughter have full consent as to what alterations are done on her body, but not our son?" From there on he has done the research with me and now agrees with me that our boys will remain intact.

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:05 PM   #415
XtraOrdinary
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by THBVsMama View Post
DH used to be "pro-circ". Not in the "he's going to have it done OR ELSE" sense, but in the "well I am, so I think he should be, too," kind of thing. On the same note he has always been adamantly against piercing a girls' ears before she able to express her desire to have them done. That was my moment to take control and say "Why should our daughter have full consent as to what alterations are done on her body, but not our son?" From there on he has done the research with me and now agrees with me that our boys will remain intact.
This is my entire point. I think that is you are against circs it makes sense to be against ear piercings too. If choice is your main argument that is.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #416
Ola_
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I just did some looking up about what you said about your husband. So it sounds like he had phimosis? Did you know that there are other ways to treat this other than circ? There are several medicated creams that can be used to make the foreskin loosen and release. And if that doesn't work, there are also several, more minor surgical procedures that can fix the phimosis but without removing the foreskin.
It all depends on how much the particular doctor knows about it. Sometimes you have to search and get second opinions before you find the right one. I mean, it literally took me a few minutes of looking just now to find out those other treatments.
Also, it looks like phimosis is VERY rare, so circumcising all baby boys to protect against that is poor logic. It may "run in a family" but you don't ever know for sure that it's going to happen.
We were told about it, and DH didn't want to have that. He didn't think it would look right, so he opted for the alternative of circumcision.
I think that's part of the point - your DH made the choice for himself. We are simply saying that every man should have the ability to make their own choice rather than have it taken away from them as an infant.
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #417
Everywhere
Registered Users

Quote:
This is my entire point. I think that is you are against circs it makes sense to be against ear piercings too. If choice is your main argument that is.
you are completely right and I agree with you, I'm just not seeing anyone here who is against circ but also has their girl's ears pierced?

and I'm not saying that I don't agree with you when I say it's not on the same level of extremeness as circ is. I am against ear piercing as well. I'm just saying that circ is way, way more extreme, and worse, overall.
Everywhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #418
Everywhere
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_ View Post
Quote:
We were told about it, and DH didn't want to have that. He didn't think it would look right, so he opted for the alternative of circumcision.
I think that's part of the point - your DH made the choice for himself. We are simply saying that every man should have the ability to make their own choice rather than have it taken away from them as an infant.

You are exactly right. It's not that he HAD to be circed, he had several other options but CHOSE to be circed. Not everyone is going to make the same decision, even if the same thing does happen to them.
Everywhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #419
sharon_k
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have two daughters, (4 & 2yrs. old) and personally would never consider piercing their ears. They don't want that, as babies. It's the parents that want it, for whatever reason.

I feel the same way about circumcision. A penis has a foreskin for a reason, it's not a mistake!

My DH is circumcised, and he didn't have a choice. I could never do that to my child.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #420
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for spreading the word and helping protect our newborn sons as our newborn girls have been spared of genital mutilation.
I am a mom of 2 intact boys. 10ys and 3yrs