Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #421
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
thanks for spreading the word and helping protect our newborn sons as our newborn girls have been spared of genital mutilation.
I am a mom of 2 intact boys. 10ys and 3yrs

Advertisement

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #422
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnno View Post

That got really long (sorry) and doesn't really have a point (sorry again) other than THANK YOU ALL for putting this information out there. I would never, ever make a blind decision based on something I read on a forum, but this thread was definitely the catalyst into me realizing there was a choice and doing my own research. Heck, even if I'd decided that I was still going to circumcise, I would at least have had a clear, detailed understanding of the procedure and possible side-effects, and would have been making an informed, rather than blind, decision.
Thank you for coming back to report on this. It really makes my day to hear you say that and I am really happy for you and your family.

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd1 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ Dd2 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #423
va703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To the OP, I appreciate you posting this, I felt your list was very comprehensive. I am expecting boy #3 this spring, he, too, will remain intact. I did a lot of research, in spite of coming from an anti-circing family, before making my decision and nothing I read could have swayed me to circ my kiddos. It's great to see that more people are making the choice to leave their little boys intact.

I was surprised that at my first OB appointment with this pregnancy, they had a consent to sign for circumcision "just in case" it was a boy. Talk about not having time to think it over! Not good.

Happy mama to my 4 handsome boys
va703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #424
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by va703 View Post
I was surprised that at my first OB appointment with this pregnancy, they had a consent to sign for circumcision "just in case" it was a boy. Talk about not having time to think it over! Not good.
The day before my first prenatal appointment the receptionist called me to fill out some paperwork over the phone and one of the questions was if I planned on circumcising if I had a boy. With my first pregnancy that question wasn't brought up until I was in the hospital.

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #425
drkelli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by THBVsMama View Post
The day before my first prenatal appointment the receptionist called me to fill out some paperwork over the phone and one of the questions was if I planned on circumcising if I had a boy. With my first pregnancy that question wasn't brought up until I was in the hospital.
I need to look at my paperwork again. Also, does anyone know if I say no to circ and DH says yes, what happens then????
Old 12-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #426
Everywhere
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkelli View Post
I need to look at my paperwork again. Also, does anyone know if I say no to circ and DH says yes, what happens then????

Only one parent has to sign the circ consent form. Now, if they KNOW that you don't want the baby circed, they will abide by your decision.
However, if your dh gets a hold of the paperwork, signs it and brings it to a doctor/nurse who doesn't know your wishes, they will circ him.

I'm not saying he would be sneaky about it, but here's a scenario-

Every morning the babies get taken to the nursery and the ped on call comes and examines them. At this time, is when any of the baby boys would get circed. Say your dh goes with baby for his exam. The nurse or doctor can't find a consent form in his chart, so they ask him "Is he getting circed?" Hubby says "yes". So they say, "Ok, we'll need you to sign this form then" and go ahead and circ him with the rest of the babies.

But if you are always there, they will always follow what the mother wants.
Everywhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #427
Catalytic
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everywhere View Post
Only one parent has to sign the circ consent form. Now, if they KNOW that you don't want the baby circed, they will abide by your decision.
However, if your dh gets a hold of the paperwork, signs it and brings it to a doctor/nurse who doesn't know your wishes, they will circ him.

I'm not saying he would be sneaky about it, but here's a scenario-

Every morning the babies get taken to the nursery and the ped on call comes and examines them. At this time, is when any of the baby boys would get circed. Say your dh goes with baby for his exam. The nurse or doctor can't find a consent form in his chart, so they ask him "Is he getting circed?" Hubby says "yes". So they say, "Ok, we'll need you to sign this form then" and go ahead and circ him with the rest of the babies.

But if you are always there, they will always follow what the mother wants.
The problem I see is, you can't always be there in some cases. (Just going off your scenario Everywhere, not arguing with you at all)

After my 4th, I was supposed to get my tubes tied. I signed all the consent paperwork for it before he was born. He was born at almost 11pm, I never got the epidural I'd planned on, and the hospital royally pissed me off after birth, so when they came to get me at 8am for my tubal, I refused to go.

About 10 minutes after that nurse left the room, another nurse came in to get my son. All babies had to room-in, unless they had problems, so I asked what she was doing with him. She was taking him to get circ'd. I nearly came unglued! Hubby was not there yet, he was home with our other kids....NEITHER of us signed consent for a circ.

My best friend thinks they would have figured it out (that we hadn't signed permission), but I am convinced if I had had the tubal, my son would have ended up circ'd, and I would have ended up in jail.

I don't know WHAT I'm going to do this time, my baby is a boy, but hubby has been well instructed that regardless of what is happening with *me*, he is to stay with baby ALL THE TIME once he comes out. I don't have any friends who could come to the hospital with me to have someone there with baby (besides me) around the clock, so I've got signs already made to tape up in my room, on my door, etc, saying not to circ. I want to assume that I will be able to advocate for my baby the whole time we are in the hospital, but there are no guarantees of that, so I'm still trying to figure it out.

(I use military hospitals, so I'm not familiar with procedures in a civilian hospital, and I honestly don't ever remember being asked about circumcision with my youngest. I know with my 3rd, he had dual hydroceles so when circ came up, it was to tell me it couldn't be done on him at that time and that his ped would reevaluate him at a year)
Catalytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #428
Everywhere
Registered Users

catalytic, that is awful to think about! I have no clue about military hospitals, so I can't really vouch for them. Here though, a circumcision is considered a "time out" procedure, like most surgeries. Before each circ, everyone stops, the number on the band of the baby is checked, to make sure it matches the number on the chart. Then, the circ consent form is taken from the chart, again the name is checked, and the form checked to make sure it is both signed by a parent and witnessed by the nurse.

I'm not saying a mistaken circ can't happen though. That's why I do believe in always having a parent with the baby at all times. What I was saying, is that even if dad goes with the baby to the nursery, if dad really wants the baby circed, and the nurse doesn't know the mom's choice, the dad can sign the form and the baby can "accidentally" be circed against mom's wishes that way.

Last edited by Everywhere; 12-09-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Everywhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:05 AM   #429
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We actually wrote "no circ" on the little shirts they put on the baby in the hospital, and on the front of every diaper, and still, we didn't leave them alone. When the nurses wanted to do the tests and measuring, I went with them to the nursery and watched.

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd1 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ Dd2 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #430
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Thank you for this fantastic information. DH and I did circ our first son, but we have definately changed our perspective thanks to passionate and caring mamas like you. We will not be circ'ing any future boys we are blessed with. Thank you for helping to spread facts and educate people like me who were on the fence before.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote