Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #501
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

top 10 reasons why the choices of another mother is none of your business.

1. it's none of your business
2. it's none of your business
3. it's none of your business
4. it's none of your business
5. it's none of your business
6. it's none of your business
7. it's none of your business
8. it's none of your business
9. it's none of your business
10. it's none of your business

Advertisement

My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:26 PM   #502
my*scorpio
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Blessings View Post

Would you have the same response to someone trying to educate parent's in the middle east or africa on why not to circumcise their daughter?

Many people feel that the choice of genital cutting/reduction should be on the OWNER of the genitals, not on another (including the parents). Taking away the choice is a human rights violation.

There are many replies on this thread of parents with regret, wishing they had the information sooner. I was lucky enough to have someone share this info with me when I was expecting. I think this is a great thread.

Jennifer, mama to two boys and a girl

Last edited by my*scorpio; 08-11-2010 at 05:28 PM.
my*scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:27 PM   #503
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Thanks mama!!
Old 08-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #504
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
And that's a great attitude to have... I have made a lot of mistakes in my life, and I just try to learn from them. Self-recrimination doesn't help, nor does stubbornly clinging to the old ways. You will be okay.
Thanks mama
Old 08-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #505
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
I feel really bad, especiallly after reading this thread!! I hate that I didn't research my options and made the wrong decision. Just wish I could do something to restore it! Oh, well, that's just life I guess. Make mistakes and learn from them and move on.
I hate my decision to allow someone to circ my DS1...I will regret it till the day I die...however, God blessed me with another little boy who I could leave intact and it helps knowing that "when you know better you do better"...and I have also talked many, many, many, many women/men out of circumcising their sons...I am a very outspoken intactivist (for male and females) and I have helped educate other parents and now they are intactivist....so I took my lesson and I wanted to make a difference...I never wanted to hear another mama regretting her decision, and feel the pain I feel...and somehow it always helps to know that I have helped save a penis.

The current circumcision rates in the US now are only 33%
http://www.examiner.com/x-23788-Mank...cord-low-of-33
http://www.drmomma.org/2010/08/us-ci...lls-to-33.html

just 5 years ago (or so) it was 50%...we intactivist have come a long way and people are becoming proud to be different!

GL mama, I hope you will take this experience and help educate others so they do not have to experience what you have
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog

Last edited by AnnaG01; 08-11-2010 at 05:46 PM.
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #506
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Bookmarked to show my DH who never says anything when I bring up circ'ing because I don't think he knows why he's for it other than because "everyone" does it.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #507
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by my*scorpio View Post
Would you have the same response to someone trying to educate parent's in the middle east or africa on why not to circumcise their daughter?
It is THEIR culture and NONE OF MY BUSINESS. I am not going to go into a culture and try to convince them that something they have been doing for centuries is wrong simply because *I* wouldn't do it. My beliefs are not their beliefs and I respect them and their decisions.
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:08 AM   #508
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a story about my limited experience. When I was pregnant w/my son, one of the first things I said about my early choices regarding my son was that "he will be circumsized!"
However I started surfing the internet and found mothering.com and it's forums and it's outspoken mothers/women. I was there just because I was interested in general pregnancy info and cloth diapering.
That place really opened my eyes hehe.

Thankfully I read up on circumcision and it's details, the good the bad and the ugly. I couldnt even bear to watch the videos though honestly.
Mostly how it affected the baby and how there really were no medical reasons to have it done.
So I realized I should not have a say in my child being cut and any reasons I thought were valid just seemed so shallow once I learned the truth.
I just could not imagine my tiny baby being taken away from me to be cut, what a way to be introduced to the world.

Sometimes, a mom/parent just needs to see the whole picture, everyone at least deserves to hear both sides.
I am so glad he was not cut. Before I learned the truth, I assumed circumcision was just something that was done, seemed normal and appropriate, but really it's the exact opposite.

When I had my son at the hospital, the nurses there all supported having newborn baby boys remain intact.
Circumcision was not routinely done and you had to call in a doctor to do it. That made me so happy, that there was medical staff that supported babies remaining intact and there werent just doctors on stand by to perform circumcisions.

I am thankful the information was there for me to read on a forum, I dont know if I would have searched for it otherwise.

Last edited by wonton; 08-12-2010 at 04:11 AM.
wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:46 AM   #509
NSnewmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

When I first saw this list, I missed the intro line and I thought it was the top 10 reasons why you (as a parent) should not interfere with your child's genitals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Blessings View Post

Old 08-12-2010, 06:05 AM   #510
carazoe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonton View Post
I have a story about my limited experience. When I was pregnant w/my son, one of the first things I said about my early choices regarding my son was that "he will be circumsized!"
However I started surfing the internet and found mothering.com and it's forums and it's outspoken mothers/women. I was there just because I was interested in general pregnancy info and cloth diapering.
That place really opened my eyes hehe.

Thankfully I read up on circumcision and it's details, the good the bad and the ugly. I couldnt even bear to watch the videos though honestly.
Mostly how it affected the baby and how there really were no medical reasons to have it done.
So I realized I should not have a say in my child being cut and any reasons I thought were valid just seemed so shallow once I learned the truth.
I just could not imagine my tiny baby being taken away from me to be cut, what a way to be introduced to the world.

Sometimes, a mom/parent just needs to see the whole picture, everyone at least deserves to hear both sides.
I am so glad he was not cut. Before I learned the truth, I assumed circumcision was just something that was done, seemed normal and appropriate, but really it's the exact opposite.

When I had my son at the hospital, the nurses there all supported having newborn baby boys remain intact.
Circumcision was not routinely done and you had to call in a doctor to do it. That made me so happy, that there was medical staff that supported babies remaining intact and there werent just doctors on stand by to perform circumcisions.

I am thankful the information was there for me to read on a forum, I dont know if I would have searched for it otherwise.
This is exactly what my situation was like. Thanks mama, now i dont need to type it all out. hehe.
I am SOOOO happy I didnt circ my son!
Wife to Reed, &, select & delayed-vaxing, babywearing, non-circ'ing, co-sleeping Mommy to Gabriel (June 3, 2010), Stepmom to Dagan(11) Expecting baby #2 in MARCH
carazoe is offline   Reply With Quote