Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #741
Mom2evie
Registered Users
seller

I have a girl but one day if there's a #2 I'm undecided. I was a postpartum and nursery nurse for some years and I've seen numerous circs. I've seen some where the baby barely makes a peep and I've seen some where the baby obviously was not numbed enough. I will tell you one thing though, if we do decide to do it I want to be in the room to make sure his pain is adequately controlled. For some of you mamas is not a hard decision but for mamas like me it is.

Advertisement

I'm a CDing, vaxing on schedule, bottle feeding mama
Mom2evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #742
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

I did see my nephew return from his 5 years ago. It was awful. He was completely inconsolable, pale, and screamed when anyone came near him. That hospital still sadly just uses a sugar water paci as their pain management. I've also watched my other nephew's skin try to grow back over and over while his mom had to push it back at every diaper change for the first year of his life. It was bright red and so disgusting. The first nephew's is totally botched. I feel bad for him every time I see him in the bath tub.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #743
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2evie View Post
I have a girl but one day if there's a #2 I'm undecided. I was a postpartum and nursery nurse for some years and I've seen numerous circs. I've seen some where the baby barely makes a peep and I've seen some where the baby obviously was not numbed enough. I will tell you one thing though, if we do decide to do it I want to be in the room to make sure his pain is adequately controlled. For some of you mamas is not a hard decision but for mamas like me it is.
For many mamas (including myself) the issue hardly stops at the actual procedure. There are life-long consequences that males have to deal with when they are circumcised (for example, developing Meatal Stenosis).

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #744
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2evie View Post
IMO it is the easiest thing in the world to leave a baby boy intact. that's how they come into the world- perfect just the way they are!!
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #745
nakia
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCgirl_05 View Post
IMO it is the easiest thing in the world to leave a baby boy intact. that's how they come into the world- perfect just the way they are!!
Yes!

I will say that I like the list, but I will say there is no reason TO circumcise. My son has severe meatal stenosis from being circ'd. I was raised Jewish and never questioned it. I wish now that I had done my homework. He's had two surgeries and will probably end up with more. His pediatric urologist says it is very common. Once you've had to rip open your son's urethra every time he urinates...for weeks at a time, you will see that never in a million years can you imagine circumcision (a COSMETIC procedure) to be reasonable. Ever.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:52 AM   #746
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Even if every circumcision were entirely painless during the surgery and healing period, and if there were zero complications, it would still not be okay. It is wrong to remove part of another person's body without their consent and without a medical need just b/c you want to. Period.

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd1 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ Dd2 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #747
Angel89411
Banned

DH and I have researched this. Both sides. We are happy we did. We are still choosing to circ our new son, but we feel it is now an informed decision. The risks either way are marginal and we believe it comes down to personal opinion and choice. And everyone says the AAP doesn't recommend it. While this is true, they also state there is no reason to oppose it. They have no official stance one way or another.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Last edited by Angel89411; 06-09-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #748
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

We circ, but I can understand why people are opposed to it. Even though we make the choice to circ our sons, I'm not pro-circ by any means. It bothers me when parents make the choice to circ without doing any research on it... just like it bothers me when parents make the choice to do anything without being informed first. I guess you could say I'm pro-making-informed-decisions, LOL.

Anti-circ'ers don't bother me at all, because I know why we made the choice to circ our sons, and I'm comfortable with that... it just bothers me when people imply or assume that anyone who circ's hasn't done the research, or seen a circ being done, etc etc.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #749
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama.timms
We circ, but I can understand why people are opposed to it. Even though we make the choice to circ our sons, I'm not pro-circ by any means. It bothers me when parents make the choice to circ without doing any research on it... just like it bothers me when parents make the choice to do anything without being informed first. I guess you could say I'm pro-making-informed-decisions, LOL.

Anti-circ'ers don't bother me at all, because I know why we made the choice to circ our sons, and I'm comfortable with that... it just bothers me when people imply or assume that anyone who circ's hasn't done the research, or seen a circ being done, etc etc.
I just can't see the point in doing it of you have done the research. :[ I would be so disappointed if my husband were cut, and I know he would be, too. I personally don't know anyone who has put a child through circumcision, it's really a strange practice. Even if for religious reasoning, aren't females/males supposed to wait until marriage for sexual intercourse? How many truly want to, or do? Yet do we as parents physically force them into our religious beliefs for whatever reason we deem appropriate? Is it the same offence as not circumcising [premarital sex]? I genuinely don't know, but, I do consider forced circumcision of an infant an extreme from a religious perspective. Just a thought.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #750
an_aurora
Registered Users

I can understand why people go it. They hear it reduces their risk of cancer, STDs, etc. If someone told me my kid was less at risk if they wore a purple shirt, you bet your booty they would look like Barney. But to me the risks outweigh the benefits, something which the AAP and the WHO share my opinion on.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote