Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #791
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numommy
The arrogance! There are studies that indicate you are wrong. There is still anecdotal evidence, this is not a slam dunk, if it were it would not be a DEBATE. and yet ppl go about it like they are everywhere, the know every situation and thus can call them few.

I am glad ppl are researching parenting choices, but I can not appreciate the manner in which this is typically debated here.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
I wasn't being arrogant I was asking a simple question.

Have you looked into the backgrounds of those studies? Who do you think paid for them? There are a lot of discrepancies and biased info surrounding pro-circ studies (ie circ'd men being taught to wear a condom and abstain for x weeks in an HIV study; while intact were not educated on safe sex and didn't have to abstain as they didn't receive the surgery..) which makes them unreliable.

I think it's pretty telling when a doctor says 'it's a cosmetic procedure'... I'd find you that video, but I'm on my phone. Maybe tomorrow...

Advertisement

Old 07-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #792
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anahrose
Well, I am going to have to type up all of the reasons to not circumsise for my DH incase we have a boy. I mainly don't want to do it because it's not my body and not my choice. Like when people pierce their baby girl's ears. I think that should be the kid's choice when they get older.
Piercing a baby's ears doesn't remove a functioning organ, but I know what you mean. I can't stand the thought of putting my kiddo through ANY kind of pain. It's not something that HAS to be done NOW.

My DH was pro-circ to start with (he was circumcised as an infant and wanted to 'follow tradition') it took a while, but after showing him a circ video, telling him the functions of the foreskin and showing him the 'norm lost list' (you should be able to google that) as well as the kind of damage circumcision causes (the removal of the majority of nerves in the penis for example) he became convinced. He still remains very logical about it, saying that if it has no benefits then it's not worth doing, but I think he's starting to get more of a passion Just try to be gentle because many men who are circumcised don't want to 'admit there is something wrong with their penis'... Of course we may not see it that way, but once they start absorbing the info it can be tough on them!!!

My DH started questioning his mom's reasoning, but he doesn't blame her. He's stronger than me! The AAP started saying that circumcision wasn't worth the risks a whole 12 years before he was born!!! It's unfortunate it is such a profitable business (money for the surgery (and sometimes to fix issues later) AND money from selling the foreskins!!) otherwise the AAP (and others) would speak out more strongly against it.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:25 AM   #793
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatMama1990 View Post
Most of the reasons I hear are myths. And why is a child not entitled to his own religious rights? He should be allowed to choose what faith he follows when he is old enough to understand and thus shouldn't be 'marked' as a certain faith as an infant.

There are VERY few situations where it is necessary to circ and otherwise it is purely a cosmetic surgery.
Most of the reasons you hear are myth. Keyword being most. For some people, there are some very real reasons to circumcise. Unfortunately, overzealous intactivists put everyone in the same catagory - if you don't circ, you're an educated, well-informed parent... if you do circ, you're an uneducated sheep who blindly "mutilates" her son. It doesn't always work like that.

I certainly hope my sons never encounter the daughters of some intactivists... I'm sure those daughters would love to tell them how mutilated their penis is, and how they obviously have issues stemming from the circ (even if they don't). My husband was circumcised for very real medical reasons, and has no issues... and yet I've been told several times on other circ'ing threads that he has to have problems, and was even told I should google certain issues. It's ridiculous the lengths some people will go to try to prove their point, even if they're wrong in some cases.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #794
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Many 'medical' issues that lead to circumcision in the US are false also (or dealt with inappropriately). Unfortunately that's just how it is. A lot of American doctors don't know how to deal with intact penises. Which is why many intactivists are skeptical when someone says there was a medical reason for removal of the foreskin.

No other body part is routinely removed 'just in case' there is a problem though.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:33 AM   #795
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Edited.

I'm bowing out of this thread. There is some wonderful information available on here, and I would hope all parents would utulize these resources before circ'ing their sons. But it gets pretty old hearing (or reading) some of the "you're an idiot, I know nothing about your situation but I'm still right" attitudes on here.

Last edited by AnimalHouse; 07-06-2011 at 04:57 AM.
AnimalHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #796
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #797
famvangurp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama.timms View Post
Most of the reasons you hear are myth. Keyword being most. For some people, there are some very real reasons to circumcise. Unfortunately, overzealous intactivists put everyone in the same catagory - if you don't circ, you're an educated, well-informed parent... if you do circ, you're an uneducated sheep who blindly "mutilates" her son. It doesn't always work like that.

I certainly hope my sons never encounter the daughters of some intactivists... I'm sure those daughters would love to tell them how mutilated their penis is, and how they obviously have issues stemming from the circ (even if they don't). My husband was circumcised for very real medical reasons, and has no issues... and yet I've been told several times on other circ'ing threads that he has to have problems, and was even told I should google certain issues. It's ridiculous the lengths some people will go to try to prove their point, even if they're wrong in some cases.
In saying that YOUR husband...has no issues, discounts the fact that many, many, many men do (and they may not even realize that these issues stem from the circumcision itself). And you say, even if they're wrong in SOME cases. SOME cases. Routine circumcision of infants is the problem. Not medically necessary, or even cosmetically desired circumcision of consenting ADULTS.
I also sell Perfectly Posh! Message me for link!
famvangurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:23 AM   #798
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #799
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsis

OT:
I must know where you got that dipe in your avi

Sent from my DH's Ally!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:35 PM   #800
ollie_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad I have a girl!
If I ever do have a boy he will most definitely NOT be circumcised unless there is a *real* medical reason for it.. but to each her own.
I do wish it was banned though, cosmetic penis surgery on an infant seems a bit creepy to me (unless there was a medical reason for it of course)
ollie_mama is offline   Reply With Quote