Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #811
Pat899
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Quote:
Originally Posted by DommysMommy View Post
I'm not sure about other states, but I know that Colorado Medicaid no longer covers RIC. I was dancing in the waiting room at the ped's office!! I'm glad the government was able to find a needed place for a budget cut!
I read this in the paper and I was thrilled.

Advertisement

Pat899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #812
EmilyAnn86
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto6 View Post
ITA! It's no longer covered here. I got a form at my first appointment that said if you want it done, you need to pay $383 for it. I showed DH that, and told him it's another reason why I won't do it. He hasn't said a word about it since .
It is not covered by our insurance but it is only $75 at the peds office here (and they use more anesthesia than the hospital.)
Emily (26) Happily married to Chris since 8-5-2006 and mommy to David (6-13-2008) James (9-27-2009) and John (9-9-2011) and baby #4 due Aug 12th
God is our family planner. Bring on the blessings!! Psalm 127:3-5
EmilyAnn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #813
OnAnnaTime
Registered Users

Bump!
Old 08-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #814
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for this. I am already regretting getting my son circumcised and he's less than 10 months old. I just didn't really do much research on the topic as I was convinced I was having a girl, and in the end I left it up to DH as he is the one with the equipment
BSWmama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #815
CrazyBoysMamma
Registered Users

My Mood:

The more I learn about circ the more I feel awfull about being so ambivalent about deciding if we were going to circ DS 1. Neither of us had strong feelings about it either way at the time. Luckily for DS our ped is fabulous. He doesn't even offer circ to parents, they have to specifically ask for it. DH asked him if we should circ, and his response was "there really isn't a reason, if it was needed I'd let you know". He does do circs, he did my nephew because my sis was adamant it be done. One I've the nurses had the nerve to complain about how long he takes for anesthesia, because it's at least 45 minutes of prep with him before he cuts. My nephew was gone almost an hour, and his circ was a lot less gnarly than the others I've seen. I still feel bad for him, and I know they'll circ any future boys, because you just can't tell her anything!

Will you be my Swag friend? Pretty please?http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/CrazyBoysMamma
CrazyBoysMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #816
Farmer's Wife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My sister is a surgical nurse. She says that if a man or boy comes in for a procedure sent by urology, it's always for a circumcision! She has seen SOOO many circ on boys and men, that she totally recommends it be done as a baby. Many boys/men get infections from having the foreskin present and this is the reason for the circ. I just wanted to give you all a heads up that it's not always the best thing to be uncut.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #817
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer's Wife View Post
My sister is a surgical nurse. She says that if a man or boy comes in for a procedure sent by urology, it's always for a circumcision! She has seen SOOO many circ on boys and men, that she totally recommends it be done as a baby. Many boys/men get infections from having the foreskin present and this is the reason for the circ. I just wanted to give you all a heads up that it's not always the best thing to be uncut.
how many of those men don't wash themselves properly or were forcibly retracted as little boys, causing more problems that wouldn't have occurred otherwise? There is a reason the rest of the world's men seem to be able to live with their foreskins; because they know how to take care of them! (or not too, where little boys are concerned).

I think in the rest of the world the stats are something like 1 in 16,000 intact men will actually need to be circumcised for true medical reasons. That's 0.0000625% of men who will have issues caused by having a foreskin. Wanna know what the complication rates are of circumcision?

Last edited by zandj; 08-05-2011 at 10:48 AM.
zandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #818
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
I don't doubt that is most of the surgeries that urology does. Doctors are quick to suggest circ as the first treatment for some conditions. But what your sister doesn't see is healthy intact men and boys. By the nature of her job she only sees people who are having problems. She is committing a logical fallacy, namely the "biased sample" fallacy. Just because she works somewhere that performs mostly circs does not mean most intact men need circs. Or in other words, just because X% of the urology surgery patients are getting circs does not mean that X% of the general male population need circs. In fact medical circumcision is rarely needed. It is unfortunately disproportionally high here in the US because doctors don't have proper training in the matter. In Europe where intact is the norm, the need for medical circumcision is extremely low. My family lives in Italy and circumcision is rarely performed there. The only time I've heard of someone needing surgery for circumcision was my ex-boyfriend (here in the US) who had to have his botched circumcision fixed at 15. He is still having issues with it.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #819
frenchyloveslarry
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner99 View Post
I became anti-circ when preggo with my 1st boy. Dh was absolutely set on having Owen circed- until he learned the truth. Now he is totally anti-circ, even though he is circed.

This is one of those decisions in parenting that I am sure of and proud of.

I wish all parents made an informed decision on this subject.

This was my dh too he was so set on having ds circd cause he was, when it came down to it he looked down at our son and said NO WAY its not happening. I think he realized at that point he could not do anything to hurt his lil boy especially b/c it was just his preference. We now are having boy #3 and all of them are intact and proud!
Old 08-06-2011, 07:08 AM   #820
Fellow Traveler
Registered Users

Quote:
I'd want to know then why then don't we see these problems in countries that don't circumcise routinely? In all of those countries the medical profession is quite rightly (and firmly) against circumcision without need or consent. They don't see the problems that you offer. Perhaps we've been doing it so long we just forgot things like normal development and conservative treatment. Kind of like a dentist whose forgotten how to drill and fill a cavity and pulls everyone he sees.
Fellow Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote