Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #821
sarchamar
Registered Users
seller

Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer's Wife View Post
I just wanted to give you all a heads up that it's not always the best thing to be uncut.
So true. I mean, there's all that extra skin to try to wash, and it gets smelly down there if you don't keep up with it. (Smegma. Ewww.) Sometimes even if you do keep up with it the yeast infections can make you crazy. Nobody likes the look of too much skin in that area, either. Not to mention the cancer risk! I've always thought that if that's the price of being uncut, then I really wish my parents had had my labia and clitoral hood removed when I was a baby and saved me all this trouble and worry.

Not trying to be a jerk, honestly. I'm just hoping a few people will actually read that and have to step outside the box of cultural conditioning for just a few seconds ... maybe long enough to see how absurd it is for us to assume that normal human sexual anatomy is fundamentally inferior to that which is surgically altered.

And if anyone wants to take me to task for the cancer part, we are at much higher risk of developing vulvar cancer in our lifetimes than intact men are of developing penile cancer. The vast majority of vulvar cancers arise from the labia. It only stands to reason that no labia = dramatically decreased risk of vulvar cancer. Yet nobody here has signed up their daughters for routine infant labiaplasty.

Health reasons are often used to justify RIC, but this proves it's not about health (unless you want to try to argue that we care more about our sons' well-being than our daughters' and our own). At its heart, RIC is about cultural bias and societal ignorance.

Advertisement

Last edited by sarchamar; 08-06-2011 at 08:31 AM.
sarchamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #822
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

where's that like button when you need it?
Old 08-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #823
larken
Registered Users
seller

larken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #824
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnah View Post
Great thread!
hey Shawnah! I see you are having a boy! Congrats and I just wanted to "warn" you that boys are SO much different than girls. Get ready!
Old 08-08-2011, 01:46 AM   #825
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

I'm just lurking here, hi My hubby and I were talking about circ. tonight so when I saw this thread I hopped on in. I have two boys both circ'ed and I am confident and comfortable with my decision. I researched it, I understood the risks, and yes I did pay out of pocket for it I've been reading some of the comments, and I recognize that this can be a very hot button topic. As parents I think that we ALL try to do what is best for our kids. Also I noticed the word "ignorance" being bandied about, and I will say that I'm sure that there are ignorant people on both sides of every controversial issue. We all love our boys and want to do what is best for them. For me that was circumcision, for you that may not be. It's not abuse or mutilation, but I agree it's not necessarily necessary. As for you mamas who regret your decision, may I assure you that you did not ruin your little boy. We all learn and change and what was right for you then may not be right for you now or next time. I hope all mamas can feel comfortable and safe discussing their decisions (whatever they may be). I know that I'm in the unpopular minority in this thread (which is okay), but I just wanted to float the idea that this is a very personal important parenting decision that should be very carefully considered, but does not necessarily have a right or wrong answer - except what is right for your child and your family
nicolemariep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:41 AM   #826
Shawnah
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane View Post
hey Shawnah! I see you are having a boy! Congrats and I just wanted to "warn" you that boys are SO much different than girls. Get ready!
Thanks mama! I'm jumping in here totally blind nooo clue what I'm in for it's exciting!!
Old 08-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #827
Farmer's Wife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemariep View Post
I'm just lurking here, hi My hubby and I were talking about circ. tonight so when I saw this thread I hopped on in. I have two boys both circ'ed and I am confident and comfortable with my decision. I researched it, I understood the risks, and yes I did pay out of pocket for it I've been reading some of the comments, and I recognize that this can be a very hot button topic. As parents I think that we ALL try to do what is best for our kids. Also I noticed the word "ignorance" being bandied about, and I will say that I'm sure that there are ignorant people on both sides of every controversial issue. We all love our boys and want to do what is best for them. For me that was circumcision, for you that may not be. It's not abuse or mutilation, but I agree it's not necessarily necessary. As for you mamas who regret your decision, may I assure you that you did not ruin your little boy. We all learn and change and what was right for you then may not be right for you now or next time. I hope all mamas can feel comfortable and safe discussing their decisions (whatever they may be). I know that I'm in the unpopular minority in this thread (which is okay), but I just wanted to float the idea that this is a very personal important parenting decision that should be very carefully considered, but does not necessarily have a right or wrong answer - except what is right for your child and your family
I really like what you said and think it really is important to feel safe and comfortable discussing issues and having your own opinion on here. I also am happy with our decision to circ our boy and will stand by our decision. My point about future circ for boys and men was just one element of the "big" decision. There is so much more I could say but this is the wrong forum and subculture group for that. Being open is what I try to be, but for others it's not so I'd rather not go on because it would be like .
Old 08-15-2011, 03:57 AM   #828
greengranny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dd had my dgs a week ago today in Hawaii. She had told her dh that she would not sign anything to allow circ. He read some stuff and basically just went along with her decision.

When the peds asked them about it in the hospital to verify that they weren't doing it, he told them he was glad they weren't. The LC and nurses were also vocal about how pleased they were. I think it was good for my sil to hear, and has made him very comfortable with the decision.

Greengranny, from my iPhone app
greengranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:48 AM   #829
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengranny View Post
Dd had my dgs a week ago today in Hawaii. She had told her dh that she would not sign anything to allow circ. He read some stuff and basically just went along with her decision.

When the peds asked them about it in the hospital to verify that they weren't doing it, he told them he was glad they weren't. The LC and nurses were also vocal about how pleased they were. I think it was good for my sil to hear, and has made him very comfortable with the decision.

Wonderful news - thanks for sharing!!!!!

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd1 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ Dd2 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #830
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengranny

That's awesome!