Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #841
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by beesbaby2
I also wanted to ask, supposedly only 50% of babies in the US get circumcised, but I do not know a single mom with an intact son. I also photograph newborns for a living, and have never photographed one that was intact. That is one of the things that makes me not want to do it because I see how raw and irritated they are, and I always have to be so careful no to hurt it if they are less than 10 days old (which they usually are). So I guess it is where you live? I am outside of Houston and circing is definitely the normal for people I know. That's one of the things I am afraid of, all the backlash from family and friends that will think it is nuts. Not that I will base my decision on that, just bothers me.
It's definitely regional just like all things more "natural" or "crunchy". Here in VA the circ rates are really high as I'm sure they are all through the south when compared to, say, the pacific northwest where the rates I'm sure are low. I saw a map of the US with rates of circ per region or state. Can't remember where. I would look it up but I'm on my phone.

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #842
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

mama, where are you outside of Houston? there's at least one little boy I know of that has his foreskin in the area
Old 08-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #843
larken
Registered Users
seller

This isn't the map I was looking for, but I can't find that one right now

http://mgmbill.org/statistics.htm
larken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #844
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beesbaby2
I also wanted to ask, supposedly only 50% of babies in the US get circumcised, but I do not know a single mom with an intact son. I also photograph newborns for a living, and have never photographed one that was intact. That is one of the things that makes me not want to do it because I see how raw and irritated they are, and I always have to be so careful no to hurt it if they are less than 10 days old (which they usually are). So I guess it is where you live? I am outside of Houston and circing is definitely the normal for people I know. That's one of the things I am afraid of, all the backlash from family and friends that will think it is nuts. Not that I will base my decision on that, just bothers me.
It definitely varies by region. Here in San Diego we have a large Hispanic population and as a result our circ rate is much lower than many places, around 33%. The hospital I delivered at didn't even offer circumcision.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:08 PM   #845
beesbaby2
Registered Users
seller

Thanks guys! I live in Spring, North of Houston. There is a decent hispanic population in Houston but I guess not so much where I live. I don't know many hispanics but I have photographed hispanic babies and they are also circumcised. DH went to a school that was primarily hispanic and he said there were just as many intact guys then circumcised ones, if not more. Thanks for that map. It's amazing how much it varies from state to state!

Is it still requirement to be circumcised for the military? DH said his stepdad got circed when he was 21 for the military. I asked him to talk to him about before and after. He watched the video that was posted originally and it made him sad! He said he wants to grow his foreskin back, only partly kidding!

I would worry about them having to get it done for the military. Isn't that a violation of human rights too? He still wouldn't really have the choice...

DD1 10/06, DD2 3/09, and a BOY due 4/4/2012!
beesbaby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #846
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
You do not have to be circ'd to join the military.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:55 PM   #847
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine

It definitely varies by region. Here in San Diego we have a large Hispanic population and as a result our circ rate is much lower than many places, around 33%. The hospital I delivered at didn't even offer circumcision.
Agreed! I'm in SD and it's about 50% both ways in my circle of friends!
Old 08-16-2011, 10:17 PM   #848
beesbaby2
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingMercy View Post
You do not have to be circ'd to join the military.
Wow, I have honestly heard that my whole life, wonder where those ideas came from.

DD1 10/06, DD2 3/09, and a BOY due 4/4/2012!
beesbaby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #849
Fellow Traveler
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by beesbaby2 View Post
Wow, I have honestly heard that my whole life, wonder where those ideas came from.
To the best of my knowledge it has never been a requirement for joining the military. Though I believe that like much of the rest of the US it was forcefully encouraged.
Fellow Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:29 PM   #850
CrazyBoysMamma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post
It's definitely regional just like all things more "natural" or "crunchy". Here in VA the circ rates are really high as I'm sure they are all through the south when compared to, say, the pacific northwest where the rates I'm sure are low. I saw a map of the US with rates of circ per region or state. Can't remember where. I would look it up but I'm on my phone.
Here it's more mixed, I was surprised, however, to learn that DS2's class last year only had 2 circed boys. Apparently the were having a peeing contest at the urinaland the difference was noticed. At first he just told me "some" of his class was different, I automatically assumed he was in the minority(private school, affluent area, I'm the only "hippy" mama) and asked him if it made him uncomfortable. He said no, asked why they were different... I had to explain it to him, I thought he was going to cry! I asked him how it made him feel. He said he was sad for his friends and all the babies that "had to have their junk cut".

Will you be my Swag friend? Pretty please?http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/CrazyBoysMamma
CrazyBoysMamma is offline   Reply With Quote