Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-17-2008, 01:32 PM   #81
jr1008
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

I have a question. Dh is circ'd and all that we have decided is that its a no unless they use anesthesia. We are not having a boy so it doesn't need to be decided atm. My question is for those whose dh is circ'd and you didn't circ your son. What will dh say when his son asks why his is different? Telling him that he's mutulated and the son is not seems really harsh. I don't feel dh is mutulated, his is perfect in my eyes (not looking for arguments here :P) His circ turned out fine but I know that there's a chance our son's won't so that's why I'm leaning more towards no. Thank you for the information you have posted and in advance for the answer to my question
Thanks to the momma that answered my other question in the other post

Advertisement

jr1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:35 PM   #82
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by png_lovebirds View Post

No foreskins in this family!
Not true. You and your daughter both have foreskin.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:38 PM   #83
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1008 View Post
I have a question. Dh is circ'd and all that we have decided is that its a no unless they use anesthesia. We are not having a boy so it doesn't need to be decided atm. My question is for those whose dh is circ'd and you didn't circ your son. What will dh say when his son asks why his is different? Telling him that he's mutulated and the son is not seems really harsh. I don't feel dh is mutulated, his is perfect in my eyes (not looking for arguments here :P) His circ turned out fine but I know that there's a chance our son's won't so that's why I'm leaning more towards no. Thank you for the information you have posted and in advance for the answer to my question

We plan on being honest. We will tell him that for a long time doctors told parents that circumcision was better. But now we know that is not true at all. And that we felt that it was wrong and cruel to cut off a part of his genitals, a part of him that God put there for a reason. And that if he ever wants to be circumcised we will support him in that decision, but that we wanted it to be just that, his decision. It is not OUR penis, it is his. I will never do anything to any child of mine cosmetically.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:46 PM   #84
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad to have seen this post. DH and I have had mixed feelings about circ-ing, but I will be talking to him a lot about this in the next 3 months (until we find out this baby is a girl
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:49 PM   #85
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysweetbottoms View Post
Ok so both of my sons were circumsized and I was actually there to see my 2nd son's circumcision. I didn't know I was going to be in there the Dr. just walked in and started doing it. I did cry throughout the procedure to see my son suffer thru this. Although I know he wasn't entirely crying over the procedure because he started crying the min they strapped him down cuz he didn't like to be strapped. However I'm still not convinced that I wouldn't circumcise another son if I have more kids. But only because I have a very strong faith and I believe God wants us to do it. I don't want to argue I just want to understand and educate myself better on this topic. You mentioned that it says in the bible that Christians shouldn't be circumcised. Where in the bible does it say this?
Also someone mentioned that having the foreskin gives you more O's well I'm not sure if it's cuz me & DH were both virgins when we got married but I still haven't really gotten one after a couple years being married much less multiple and he still has his foreskin (a little embarrassing to share but wanted to share from the other side). Also I wanted to circumcise because of sanitary reasons. I had heard from family members who didn't get circumcised and since they are boys they don't always do that well of a job cleaning it and it got stuck and just really bad that he had to go to the hospital to help him out and it was pretty painful. And the last reason is because one of my uncle's wasn't circumcised and decided to do it as an adult but was told there are lots of risks on the procedure when done as an adult. He did it anyways and almost died because it was so severe since he was adult so that is why they say it's better to do w/newborns. I'm open to hear what you have to say but please don't attack.
Here's some links with verses. We are Christians and looked very deeply into this as I thought maybe it was commanded of us, but it is not. It's stated very plainly that circumcision is NOTHING in the eyes of God, that he looks at the heart and not the body.

http://www.noharmm.org/christianparent.htm

http://www.cirp.org/pages/cultural/lewis1/

http://www.circumstitions.com/Xy.html
Old 12-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #86
GetFionadiapers
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
its no big deal really, hubs plans to just say that back when he was a baby that drs told parents it was better to be circ'd and that now people know better and have the choice, and that we thought he was perfect just as he was when he was born..

I mean he is going to look different anyways as he is a lot smaller and by the time he is the same size he will be a teenager and not want to look like any of his parents anyways lol

Last edited by GetFionadiapers; 12-17-2008 at 01:54 PM.
GetFionadiapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #87
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edenite View Post
I have never heard a man say he was suffering b/c he doesn't have foreskin. Most don't even know they were born with skin there to begin with, until you tell them.
My first boyfriend had a botched circ and he would most definitely disagree with you here. He had to have it fixed when he was 15 and that was far from pleasant. He wished it had never been circed at all.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:09 PM   #88
nini02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Ok so both of my sons were circumsized and I was actually there to see my 2nd son's circumcision. I didn't know I was going to be in there the Dr. just walked in and started doing it. I did cry throughout the procedure to see my son suffer thru this. Although I know he wasn't entirely crying over the procedure because he started crying the min they strapped him down cuz he didn't like to be strapped. However I'm still not convinced that I wouldn't circumcise another son if I have more kids. But only because I have a very strong faith and I believe God wants us to do it. I don't want to argue I just want to understand and educate myself better on this topic. You mentioned that it says in the bible that Christians shouldn't be circumcised. Where in the bible does it say this?
Also someone mentioned that having the foreskin gives you more O's well I'm not sure if it's cuz me & DH were both virgins when we got married but I still haven't really gotten one after a couple years being married much less multiple and he still has his foreskin (a little embarrassing to share but wanted to share from the other side). Also I wanted to circumcise because of sanitary reasons. I had heard from family members who didn't get circumcised and since they are boys they don't always do that well of a job cleaning it and it got stuck and just really bad that he had to go to the hospital to help him out and it was pretty painful. And the last reason is because one of my uncle's wasn't circumcised and decided to do it as an adult but was told there are lots of risks on the procedure when done as an adult. He did it anyways and almost died because it was so severe since he was adult so that is why they say it's better to do w/newborns. I'm open to hear what you have to say but please don't attack.
Getting it done as an adult is actually much less risky than doing it to a baby - there is no guess work as to how much to cut off since his penis is fully grown, and the guy can be given proper pain relief during and after the procedure. And as for the problems you've heard of - well, they are usually caused by well meaning parents following bad advice. In young boys the best policy is "leave it alone!" - you should not be cleaning under the foreskin, just wipe the outside like a finger - no retracting. It is attached just like your fingernails to your fingers. You can imagine the problems it would cause if you pulled up your fingernails to scrub underneath, right? Infections, scarring and pain!! This connection will slowly separate, usually by puberty but sometimes later - and then the guy just needs to wash under the foreskin with warm, clean water every time he bathes (no different than a circ'ed guy, any guy who doesn't clean his genitals will not be pleasant, IMO). It is really not as difficult as some would have you believe.

And it is Galatians 5 that is the verse I think of re: circ.

Quote:
My DH is cut and our son is not. A lot of times, kids don't even notice. But if our son does ask we'll give him a simple and age appropriate explanation - for a young child I would just say that some people have more skin there than others and leave it at that. Once he's older if he is still curious, we'll explain that when daddy was born the doctors thought it was good to do but now we know better!

Stephanie, mommy to Avery and Iona

Swagbucks / ZoomBucks / Varolo
nini02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:18 PM   #89
hiding57
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

It says in the new testament that christians (gentiles) do not need to be circumcised. There was a large debate between Christians and jews of the time and Paul wrote to specifically address this. Doesn't say they shouldn't or should just that they don't have to. HTH
hiding57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #90
viettasgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I had heard from family members who didn't get circumcised and since they are boys they don't always do that well of a job cleaning it and it got stuck and just really bad that he had to go to the hospital to help him out and it was pretty painful.
However dh tells me that it IS quite possible NOT to clean thoroughly and wind up with an infection- dh did as a child and says it was so painful. Simple solution: make sure someone shows the child how to do it at a young age. This might have to be mama if dh is circ'd because he may not know.

Both dh and ds are both intact and for us it was an easy choice that we both agreed on and do not regret. But thanks to all for an interesting thread.

Last edited by viettasgirl; 12-17-2008 at 02:33 PM.
viettasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote